Time in a bottle (Jim Croce cover)

Hi all,
A few days ago, I tried to cover this song using two tracks and it came out like a patchwork quilt.

Today, I did it all at once without a click track and feel it's a lot better. I know that my guitar playing needs to be improved upon; time will take care of that. Any comments are welcome.

Cheers,
HV

Yeah', you're obviously fighting the guitar a bit lol... but, I'm afraid that struggle never ends ;)
You sound very natural when you're just chording and singing.

Yeah', you're obviously fighting the guitar a bit lol... but, I'm afraid that struggle never ends ;)
You sound very natural when you're just chording and singing.
Thanks, I know I'm not exactly on time but I think I might have to forget about the whole click track thing. I appreciate your listening and commenting.

I used to play out doing the solo singer songwriter stuff , and I was Very comfortable with it. I recently tried to record a song without going thru all of the click track and retakes like I do now (using Just a guitar and vocals) . It didn't take me long to scrap the entire project. It's actually Very hard to get it right.
You seem to be a Very good guitarist with a lovely voice. I think one way to improve a solo performance like this , is to actually have a small audience of people (you are comfortable with) in front of you as you do it.
I once recorded a guy with great playing skills and a Fantastic voice. He just couldn't get comfortable in a studio setting and too shy to let his skills to the surface with me in the room with him. When I dimmed the lights and put a mirror in front of him he was Awesome.
Mix wise , I think you need more low end in the guitar and the vocals. That being said , I truly did enjoy it. maybe you would be up for doing some harmony vocals with me sometime .. ?? mark

I used to play out doing the solo singer songwriter stuff , and I was Very comfortable with it. I recently tried to record a song without going thru all of the click track and retakes like I do now (using Just a guitar and vocals) . It didn't take me long to scrap the entire project. It's actually Very hard to get it right.
You seem to be a Very good guitarist with a lovely voice. I think one way to improve a solo performance like this , is to actually have a small audience of people (you are comfortable with) in front of you as you do it.
I once recorded a guy with great playing skills and a Fantastic voice. He just couldn't get comfortable in a studio setting and too shy to let his skills to the surface with me in the room with him. When I dimmed the lights and put a mirror in front of him he was Awesome.
Mix wise , I think you need more low end in the guitar and the vocals. That being said , I truly did enjoy it. maybe you would be up for doing some harmony vocals with me sometime .. ?? mark
Thank you, Mark. I appreciate your comments. I play in Central Park, NYC and a friend takes videos of me on occasion. I like my live performances, but feel that in my home studio, I can go for more. I agree that it needs more low end and will look into that. It's all a challenge and I keep trying. As for singing harmony with you, maybe in the future, since with my day job, I find my plate is full with performing and recording. I would love to listen to the guy with great playing skills/fantastic voice. Is he on YouTube?
Cheers, HV

Last edited:
Back