It might be you (Stephen Bishop cover)

Hi all,
I tried my hand at this cover from a song featured in the movie "Tootsie." Hope you enjoy it and any comments would be appreciated.
I used two tracks - vocal and guitar, reverb and some vocal and guitar plug-ins that came with Studio One Artist.

Thank you,
HV

I really like the vibe on this!
As far as a mixing job I find that the guitar and vocal are too dissimilar -- the guitar is mellow while the vox are quite bright. 1st up I would look at how was this recorded (mic choice and setup; was the vocal dubbed over the guitar)? What plugins were used, and which ones were applied to the individual tracks rather than to the whole? Just wondering!

I really like the vibe on this!
As far as a mixing job I find that the guitar and vocal are too dissimilar -- the guitar is mellow while the vox are quite bright. 1st up I would look at how was this recorded (mic choice and setup; was the vocal dubbed over the guitar)? What plugins were used, and which ones were applied to the individual tracks rather than to the whole? Just wondering!
Thank you for your comments. Yes, voice is dubbed over the guitar. I know this isn't ideal, but this is how I went about it:
first: track 1: acoustic guitar track using the condenser mic that came with the PreSonus Studio 25th Anniversary package (not plugged into interface) + basic acoustic guitar plug-in + some hall reverb
second: track 2: vocals using the same condenser mic + "female pop vocal louder" plug-in + hall reverb + flat plate reverb (small room)

I've decided to practice with a metronome but not use a click track when I record since it disrupts the vibe.

The dissimilarity probably comes from my singing close to the mic, but not playing guitar close to the mic. Any thoughts? Do you think I should plug my guitar into the interface for more clarity?

Thank you for your comments.
Glad to help :)
Yes, voice is dubbed over the guitar. I know this isn't ideal
Dubbing is not ideal, but it really isn't too important. I would dub as well unless I had 4 mics: 2 room, 1 gtr, 1 vox
first: track 1: acoustic guitar track using the condenser mic that came with the PreSonus Studio 25th Anniversary package (not plugged into interface) + basic acoustic guitar plug-in + some hall reverb
second: track 2: vocals using the same condenser mic + "female pop vocal louder" plug-in + hall reverb + flat plate reverb (small room)
Seeing that you're using the hall verb on both vox and gtr, consider putting it on its own bus. That way "flat plate" verb is an effect on the vocal rather than on the room that your voice and guitar are both in. (Let me know if clarification is needed!)
Once the music is recorded, sure you can go and rerecord it but unless you have a second mic and are comfortable singing and playing at the same time, you've gone about it correctly (IMO).
I've decided to practice with a metronome but not use a click track when I record since it disrupts the vibe.
You're right there :)
The dissimilarity probably comes from my singing close to the mic, but not playing guitar close to the mic. Any thoughts?
They are two very different sources, and I'm not sure just how far away it was from the gtr. Acoustic instruments in decent rooms (either with an acoustic or dry) in general benefit from a bit of distance, and I only advise close mic'ing when a bad room is leaking into the mic.
Do you think I should plug my guitar into the interface for more clarity?
Not certain what you mean here... what is it currently plugged into?

Glad to help :)

Dubbing is not ideal, but it really isn't too important. I would dub as well unless I had 4 mics: 2 room, 1 gtr, 1 vox

Seeing that you're using the hall verb on both vox and gtr, consider putting it on its own bus. That way "flat plate" verb is an effect on the vocal rather than on the room that your voice and guitar are both in. (Let me know if clarification is needed!)
Once the music is recorded, sure you can go and rerecord it but unless you have a second mic and are comfortable singing and playing at the same time, you've gone about it correctly (IMO).

You're right there :)

They are two very different sources, and I'm not sure just how far away it was from the gtr. Acoustic instruments in decent rooms (either with an acoustic or dry) in general benefit from a bit of distance, and I only advise close mic'ing when a bad room is leaking into the mic.

Not certain what you mean here... what is it currently plugged into?
I like to dub sometimes when the vocals are challenging (lots of high notes, etc.) but sometimes I do vocals/guitar all at once, which is usually is OK.

What is "its own bus."? I have the flat plate only on the vocal, not guitar.

If I play an acoustic/electric guitar, I can plug it into the interface instead of using the condenser mic to record. It has a stronger and different sound, but I've been advised by others to just use the condenser mic, which may sound muddier. I place the mic maybe 10 inches away from the guitar.

BTW, I have both guitar and vocal tracks on stereo rather than mono. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Thank you!

What is "its own bus."? I have the flat plate only on the vocal, not guitar.
I'm not sure how it works in Studio1 but you should be able to create a bus (or, if you prefer, a "send") and route the guitar and vocal to it. That way you're using the hall verb as your room acoustic and the flat plate verb as a vox-only effect.
If I play an acoustic/electric guitar, I can plug it into the interface instead of using the condenser mic to record. It has a stronger and different sound, but I've been advised by others to just use the condenser mic, which may sound muddier. I place the mic maybe 10 inches away from the guitar.
Oh, I see. Yeah, stick with the mic. Not a huge fan of pickups on acoustic gtr TBH.
BTW, I have both guitar and vocal tracks on stereo rather than mono. Not sure if that makes a difference.
Again, not sure how this works in Studio1 (as far as how the fx interpret mono signals) but I'd just leave them in stereo.

I've recently been battling with this myself... The reverb on the VOX is a bit bright ;)
Your timing is much better here! Keep tracking :)

You're on the right track. Btw there is nothing wrong with multi tracking instruments and then singing over them the majority of music you listen to was done that way especially modern recordings. The main issue holding back this recording is the vocal pitch and timing. What I recommend and do frequently is figure out the vocal melody single notes on guitar the sing along to it and practice nailing the pitch. Pay attention to entry and exit of notes thats where you are out of pitch more often. A lot of artists will even sing individual words to get the timing/pitch/energy perfect Ozzy ozbourne as an example.

Last edited:
Your on the right track. Btw there is nothing wrong with multi tracking instruments and then singing over them the majority of music you listen to was done that way especially modern recordings. The main issue holding back this recording is the vocal pitch and timing. What I recommend and do frequently is figure out the vocal melody single notes on guitar the sing along to it and practice nailing the pitch. Pay attention to entry and exit of notes thats where you are out of pitch more often.
Thank you for your thoughts. I don't practice enough and that's my new resolution.

Back