Thoughts on upgrading from Shure SM58 to Shure MV7 for voice over and podcasting?

Is it a big enough quality increase to justify upgrading? I'm also considering the SM7B, but I'm a female and my understanding is that the MV7 boosts the mids while the SM7B boosts low frequencies and gives you more of a "booming, broadcast" sound, which I'm not really looking for. I currently do a sort of asmr-y/calming storytelling podcast, and also use the mic for commercial work that is more energetic and would like something warm and natural.

Thoughts? Is there another mic that is less that $500 that you would recommend instead for female voice over?

Any feedback is appreciated!

Last edited:
Basilosauridae is a paraphyletic family of extinct cetaceans. They lived during the middle to the early late Eocene and are known from all continents, including Antarctica. They were probably the first fully aquatic cetaceans.

SM7B is going to need a preamp with a lot of gain or something like the Klark Teknik CM-1 or Cloudlifter if your interface doesn't have enough umph. It is a mic you'll either love, hate or be indifferent to. Biggest issue I run into with female voice is sibilance. Not knowing your voice, hard to advise. Here is the frequency response chart between the two with SM7B on the top. Heil PR40 is a good podcast mic. Tons of new cheap dynamic podcast mics, many getting good reviews. For really neutral the Earthworks Icon is at the top of your price list and is a great mic. Fill in the blank, the SM58 lacks (. )?

SM7B vs MV7.png

If you're spending money, then EV RE20 with a Cloudlifter would be my thought. High end lift is pushed out, and better handling of proximity effect than the SM7b. Do not go with the cheaper RE320.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-10 at 7.13.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-10 at 7.13.53 AM.png
    90.7 KB · Views: 3
If you're spending money, then EV RE20 with a Cloudlifter would be my thought. High end lift is pushed out, and better handling of proximity effect than the SM7b. Do not go with the cheaper RE320.

Thanks for the suggestion! After looking into it, it seems that this is exactly what I'm looking for. :)

Back