this is pretty clever.

fivestarpacheco

ok guys so i want to make a gobo for my room for vocals. now i found this guy that shows u how to make a gobo which looks like this
11rxhtk.jpg

then i see this gobo which i think is really nice and im really interested in making it
vf8r2w.jpg

now im interested in making this second one because if some of you have read my other post about my shitty closet vocal booth i have a bunch of auralex foam i dont want to just be sitting around.(tearing down the crappy booth)..ps. the foam on this gobo is only on one side the other side is hardwood for a reflective side.
and on the second pic the guy used 2" glass and tilted it. i think i should use fiber glass instead of regular glass correct.? and what angle should it be tilted at?

so what do you guys think which one would be more effective. the only thing is i know that u need the absorbent side to have nice airy cloth or burlap. so does that foam kind of make it worse? and how many would i need.

??? Fiber glass rather than real glass? :o
My god man, one is only if you have to have line-of-site, and is going to be totally reflective. For vocal isolation, unless you need that avoid the glass (or any hard surfaces nearby. Not only would it reflect the source sound but it's also provides a reflection path of any external noise around in the isolation area.

Also, you have your foam, it's still useful. The way I see it is mostly the main downside and why everyone rags on it is its cost per cubic foot. Where thickness = low frequency extension, the cost vs. fiber (or rockwool I presume) adds up fast. Double (or triple) it up to get the depth down to the bandwidth you want.
http://www.sae.edu/reference_material/pages/Coefficient Chart.htm

I'd think that you'd want to make any glass as small as you could stand it to be.

Last edited:
I'd wouldn't bother with the glass part. It would seem to me to be pretty pointless. Its an unnecessary reflective surface and it wont provide much of anything for isolation. However, a portable gobo is a great thing to have for the studio. I'd use the foam you have as a cover over rockwool or OC703. So like, mae the top design and instead of fabric, cover the face with the foam you already have.

True...he's a smart dude when it comes to acoustic stuff but there are quite a few others that do too.

Are you still thinking of this for a booth? I read where you said "(tearing down the crappy booth)" and am wondering if you're planning on building another booth or just treat your room.

Cuz I would suggest, forget the booth and treat your room. The vocals will sound better and you'll have the place treated for mixing as well.

As to the bottom pic with the glass...I wouldn't. That's just be another reflective surface to deal with (potentially) another spot gobo.
I had glass in my room between my vocal booth and control room and decided it just wan't worth it. Opened it up, treated it and got a bigger room outta it too.

Have you checked out any DIY threads on this?

oo you see i was going to treat my room make about 8 bass traps out of 0c 703 and make a gobo. jeff D said i should build a gobo in my room after treating it because my work station is in the same room.(don't want noise from my computer leaking into the mic). so you dont think a gobo is necessary? if i treat my room.?
yea i looked at bunch of DIY threads thats why i kno about these gobos.
i already built the frames of my bass traps im just waiting for my oc 703 to come in =]

oo you see i was going to treat my room make about 8 bass traps out of 0c 703 and make a gobo. jeff D said i should build a gobo in my room after treating it because my work station is in the same room.(don't want noise from my computer leaking into the mic). so you dont think a gobo is necessary? if i treat my room.?

no...gobos are part of treating the room. I'm just saying that...at least to my ears....that taking care of the bass traps first (corners, ceiling etc) helps make the placement of the spot gobos easier and they end up in more of a precise place. Unlike when I first started treating my room....:o

:D

That's actually a pretty standard gobo design, but I'd tend to agree with the others that the glass is about twice the area it needs to be. If you just alter that design in such a way as to reduce the amount of glass, then it'll work just fine. Personally I use gobos of the first type. People usually radically over estimate the amount of separation you're really going to need when tracking live. You can typically get away with maybe half the amount of gobos you think you're going to need.

Frank

Back