This Damn Motel

I like the song. The drums sound fine but seem a bit loud. Do you still have the machine tracks in there??:confused: It sounds weird sometimes.

The fadeout of the drums is a bit odd. It doesnt sound natural. Dig the vocals, they could come up.:cool:

Good song Jay, you're a great story teller. I can hear where you're going with the mix bringing the drums in and out. Maybe a roll/crash before they pause and something similar before they come back in. The fade on the drums doesn't work for me. I thought the volume of the drums was okay otherwise. :) The rest of the mix sounds pretty good to me...the slide/steel is cool...:cool:

I like the song. The drums sound fine but seem a bit loud. Do you still have the machine tracks in there??:confused: It sounds weird sometimes.

The fadeout of the drums is a bit odd. It doesnt sound natural. Dig the vocals, they could come up.:cool:

Good song Jay, you're a great story teller. I can hear where you're going with the mix bringing the drums in and out. Maybe a roll/crash before they pause and something similar before they come back in. The fade on the drums doesn't work for me. I thought the volume of the drums was okay otherwise. :) The rest of the mix sounds pretty good to me...the slide/steel is cool...:cool:
i was trying that fade because of timing issues with the drummer, there was no good place to just stop. I may need to do something different. Anyway, thanks for the comments and the feedback:D

i was trying that fade because of timing issues with the drummer, there was no good place to just stop. I may need to do something different. Anyway, thanks for the comments and the feedback:D

Okay - are you recording on tape or into the computer? If it's the latter, the you could try cutting and pasting (comping?)....

Okay - are you recording on tape or into the computer? If it's the latter, the you could try cutting and pasting (comping?)....
We record straight to the box(pc) the problem is, the drummer is inconsistant all the time, we have learned to follow him and make it sound halfway right. The song was originally recorded with a drum machine, cut the tracks and had the drummer play....he was pretty close most of the time but in a few spots, he ran a little ahead or a little behind, cutting and pasting did not work. Now if there was a time shifting plug out there...that would be great.

Yup, some timing issues with the drums as you indicate, but a lot of other great things going on vocally and instrumentally. I know you've been told you have a nice rich tone to your voice (which you do) but I also really like your use of vibrato in this...subtle and controlled, but nicely present at the right times.

Back