This corner, that angle... any general hints?

James Argo

Fancy Rock N' Roll
Here's a simple layout of my home studio (I call it "audio rooms" since I'm doing MIDI stuff in another room). I didn't have any problem working there (or too lazy to even think about it :D ) However, I realize there's something un-propher with these room, specialy the control/mixing room. Red corner and purple angle. Red corner is too "sharp" and walls between left and right monitor are not simetrical. I didn't have any chance to measure exactly the size, width and length. I hope you don't mind to share your general idea based on this picture. Is there anything I must be aware? What's your oppinion/suggestion?

Appreciate yours so much :)

;)
Jaymz

Attachments

• cornerangle.jpg
    cornerangle.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 144
Anyone? :(

Ps. for now, I covered the wall all the way by 5mm woodboard, and 1cm rigid fiberglass. Sounds almost dead.

;)
Jaymz

Is this built yet, or just a conceptual lay-out?

I see several challenges:
Your control room is not symetrical.
The rear corners of the CR are too acute.
Bass frequencies will build up in said corners.
And lastly; your control room is not symetrical.

Symmetry is important for an acurate stereo image.

If this room is already built, about all you can do is try to treat it, but thats like trying to put a bandaid on a gushing wound.

Hey, Thanks for those replies :)

Michael Jones said:
Is this built yet, or just a conceptual lay-out?
Well, the wall has been built. I'm working on treatment by now. And you can still smell the glue... :D

Michael Jones said:
I see several challenges:
The rear corners of the CR are too acute.
Bass frequencies will build up in said corners.
And lastly; your control room is not symetrical.

Symmetry is important for an acurate stereo image.
That's what I always believe, Mike :) Unfortunatelly, there's nothing I can do to make it symetrical. Behind the diagonal wall is our neighbour. Meanwhile, wifey won't let me spend such grands to make major improvement. Say I put some dummy wall around the mixing area, and Bass Trap on the said corner, will they work (at least improvement at some degree...)? See picture... any suggestion? :confused:

Michael Jones said:
If this room is already built, about all you can do is try to treat it, but thats like trying to put a bandaid on a gushing wound.
Heheh... :) I'll do anything cheap and handy. I know I should have bigger and better room, but that's all I got for now, so I think I'll put a bandaid on a gushing wound if that's the least thing I can do :) I need some direction on what should I try to do, and what to avoid :) I appreciate any info you may offer. Thanks guys :)

;)
Jaymz

Attachments

• dummywall.jpg
    dummywall.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 88
It would seem you could make your control room symetrical by orienting the mixing desk toward the left front corner of the room. It looks like the room would then be a near perfect diamond shape... Granted, this is not the normal design of a control room, but it would offer a much more balanced layout than what you have. It might also be a better layout to begin your acoustic treatments from. You'll still have to do something with that back corner and the entrance door may not be in the best place... but it's a thought anyway

here's an oddball link that toots a very different type of set up and although I cannot personally speak to it's claimed benefits, you may find it stimulates some new perspectives in setting up your room

DAN

http://www.decware.com/paper14.htm

I think this is similar to what Dan is saying, Excuse the non symetry of the drawing, I rushed it a bit... but you get the idea.

Cheers
Kevin.

Attachments

• alt1.jpg
    alt1.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 70
DAN and Kevin... Thank You so much for the idea :) I knew I can count on you :) I appreciate it so much :) Gees... I never thought of that layout :) Right away, I'll tell my brother to make necessary adjustment based on those info :) Once again, thank you so much, guys... you rock!!!

;)
Jaymz

Back