The Right Equipment For Studio

Erion

hi all :)

i m glad i find this forum so i can ask for some help :) if anyone will be able to help me :)

i m trying to make my own studio ... but i need a bit of advice on the right equipment
all i have is
Mic Rode N1-A
so if someone can write or explanin whats the right staff i need

Thnx

OK, I'll bite... what kind of music would you like to do and what type of space will you be recording in? What is your budget? What is your experience so far?
The more you tell us, the easier it will be for us to point you toward the search function :p

ok guys here we go :)

let me start from my pc and so on

Window XP AMD Athlon Processor 64, 869 MB of Ram, 180 GB
i wanna record vocals and rap that's all
and i would be spending like £400 to £450 i dono how much it will be in euro or dollars :(
my experience : i study music production like... making beats, producing , vocals and stuff

e.g: if i missed something let me know pls

chris-from-ky : hahaha u are right everybody told me to stay away from Behringer .. as i waz planing to get a mixer but still i just wanna get some advice b4 i put my hand on anything that im not sure if it's the right thing for me :)

Thnx Guys :)

Erion

Why does everyone hate behringer? I've used their mixers before, and besides the occasional cross bleed, they worked fine.

Most people who have worked with them and haven't expected too much have said that they are good for the money. It's the people who have used expensive gear etc before behringer, and expect behringer to offer as good quality for half-quarter the price, who say they are crap

Newbie dude said:
Why does everyone hate behringer? I've used their mixers before, and besides the occasional cross bleed, they worked fine.
Dude, don't turn this into a "why does everybody hate behringer?" thread! It's obvious to anyone with ears.

ERION, buy Reason 3.0 and a Firewire interface with a good mic pre and converter. Something from M-Audio possibly? I don't do the PC recording thing much. That should get you going!!

***EDIT***

Scratch the M-Audio stuff... Save up and get an Apogee Mini-Me. That'll really get you going!!!!

Although I agree an Apogee Mini-Me would be a great way to go, M-Audio products are a good way to get you started. Their A/D converters are good enough for the type of music you are doing.

Does your computer have Firewire? USB? A free PCI slot?

"Reason" is an incredible value and will serve you well for producing Rap tracks. It will handle short samples, but you'll need a seperate program for recording vocals.

Have you reserached any products for recording vocals (such as Cubase or Sonar, etc)? Some products will have "lite" versions of software to get you started.

Ultimately- the space you use to record and mix will have the most impact on how your tracks will sound.

RezN8 said:
"Reason" is an incredible value and will serve you well for producing Rap tracks. It will handle short samples, but you'll need a seperate program for recording vocals.

Are you sure about this? I thought I read that Reason will let you record audio directly into it now? Maybe I'm wrong. Audacity is a freeware or shareware that he could record vocals into. then dump it to Reason for editing/processing. I think.

RezN8 said:
Although I agree an Apogee Mini-Me would be a great way to go, M-Audio products are a good way to get you started. Their A/D converters are good enough for the type of music you are doing.

Does your computer have Firewire? USB? A free PCI slot?

Have you reserached any products for recording vocals (such as Cubase or Sonar, etc)? Some products will have "lite" versions of software to get you started.

Ultimately- the space you use to record and mix will have the most impact on how your tracks will sound.

i know i have USB conection but for the firewire and pci slot im not ( actually iz a new pc .. just bought it few months ago)
and yes i have softwares... Nuendo2, Nuendo3, Cubase2, Cubase,3, Acid Pro5, SoundForge,

Not all the behringer stuff is crap.

I have a Virtualizer Pro (delay, flange, standard generic outboard) which has balanced ins and outs - useful for adding effects to synths with analog outs, grungy guitars that need a little flanging, and so on. Most older synthesizers aren't exactly high fidelity anyway. Maybe my triton is, but most everything else I own synth/module wise is somewhat noisy to begin with.

I have a Composer Pro (stereo compressor) which also has balanced ins/outs and it's somewhat useful... I can easily make the compressors huff, but again it's useful for some things. Taming an overcaffienated drummer for example :D

The one Behringer tool I use fairly often is the Ultra-Curve Pro (the older, 8024 one) - essentially a stereo digital EQ, with the optional AES/EBU module. This allows me to convert stereo analog to digital, stereo digital to analog, and have recallable EQ settings via Midi.

While not perfect - there is some noticable harshness in EQing cymbals and things like that, overall its a nice unit for what I paid on ebay. The digital in, digital out and midi control is what excited me. I can tweak things with my fat lazy ass on my console chair.

I also have a Ross DPX Mainframe which essentially is the same thing, except it has revision 1.00a code, and has many bugs which they don't tell ya about when you buy it. Of course it was discontinued before Ross put any serious effort into it so I use it as a stereo EQ between my console and my front monitoring system. I have several "tweaked" EQ settings that are instantly recallable, which make the monitoring system sound more like other systems. "British" is one of my personal favorites... it's actually inverse of what most british consoles would sound like, so as I mix I'm psychologically forced to compensate, and the final result (with the EQ bypassed) is somewhat of a more british sounding mix.

Anyway, not all behringer stuff sucks. Some of their older stuff made good paperweights and that's about it.

frederic said:
Not all the behringer stuff is crap.

I have a Virtualizer Pro (delay, flange, standard generic outboard) which has balanced ins and outs - useful for adding effects to synths with analog outs, grungy guitars that need a little flanging, and so on. Most older synthesizers aren't exactly high fidelity anyway. Maybe my triton is, but most everything else I own synth/module wise is somewhat noisy to begin with.

I have a Composer Pro (stereo compressor) which also has balanced ins/outs and it's somewhat useful... I can easily make the compressors huff, but again it's useful for some things. Taming an overcaffienated drummer for example :D

The one Behringer tool I use fairly often is the Ultra-Curve Pro (the older, 8024 one) - essentially a stereo digital EQ, with the optional AES/EBU module. This allows me to convert stereo analog to digital, stereo digital to analog, and have recallable EQ settings via Midi.

While not perfect - there is some noticable harshness in EQing cymbals and things like that, overall its a nice unit for what I paid on ebay. The digital in, digital out and midi control is what excited me. I can tweak things with my fat lazy ass on my console chair.

I also have a Ross DPX Mainframe which essentially is the same thing, except it has revision 1.00a code, and has many bugs which they don't tell ya about when you buy it. Of course it was discontinued before Ross put any serious effort into it so I use it as a stereo EQ between my console and my front monitoring system. I have several "tweaked" EQ settings that are instantly recallable, which make the monitoring system sound more like other systems. "British" is one of my personal favorites... it's actually inverse of what most british consoles would sound like, so as I mix I'm psychologically forced to compensate, and the final result (with the EQ bypassed) is somewhat of a more british sounding mix.

Anyway, not all behringer stuff sucks. Some of their older stuff made good paperweights and that's about it.
everywhere i go i hear ppl saying dont go for Behringer :)

I agree on buying Reason.
That will be all you need for a while. On the beat end of things anyway.
I've been using it for around 7 months now, it's still all i use. (I also produce hip-hop).
A midi controller will make everything easier, quicker, and a lot more fun.
You can get them fairly cheap, I can post some reccomendations if need be.
Yes to a new soundcard.
Down the line, some monitors will be in order.

You mentioned you were thinking of buying a mixer...

If you go the Reason route, A mixer won't really be neccesary.
Since you're making hip-hop, and your beats will be produced in the computer (it sounds like) you're never really going to be recording more than 1 or 2 tracks at a time.
You can buy a soundcard with the required XLR inputs, instead of a mixer.
This is better for another reason also, You can record seperate tracks...

Lets say you and a friend write and want to record a song at the same time.
If you're recording straight through your soundcard, the tracks will be seperate.
If you record through a mixer into your computer, the 2 vocal tracks will be meshed into one. It's much easier to mix/edit if you have the two vocal tracks on seperate channels.
At least this is my understanding, one of the more knowledgable people here can correct me if i'm wrong.

You should pick up a good condensor mic, and a pop-filter also.

Ok, I'm just rambling now.
.peace.

Sure, I use a Behringer Headphone amp and it does the job. However, it's not affecting the money tracks. I just want to make certain that Erion doesn't put any behringer gear in the signal chain that goes to tape.

Erion, so you've got plenty of software for recording vocals. Reason 3.0 will give you all the accompaniment you need for hip-hop. With that and an M-Audio Ozonic, you'll be good to go!

ethos: yes plz if u dont mind showing some of the equipment or softwares that i need so i dont get confused

And Guys!! u rock :) thnx alot for everything :) ya bein the best, and this forum rocks to :)

Ps: if i need some other help .. plz dont let me down ( u havent ) but just if i find something hard or i dont understand them cleary :)

THNX
Peace Out

Back