The Prodigal Son

Singer is real good. The vocal effects in the first section of the mix I thought were a little too heavy. I had trouble understanding them. I tend to not like a ton of reverb anyway.

Harmony vocals tend to be dominated by the lead vocal.

Low end is slightly rumbly.

Drums dominate a bit when the come in at :50.

The section that kicks in around 1:30 sounds real cool. Lot's of power there, yet everything is still clear.

Sounds really good!

Maybe a bit more guitar for attitude. Just a few db's underneath the vox. Maybe a little HP filter on them to clean things up and let the kick/bass do its thing.

I'd control the bass a little bit more (limit it a little?). Kick drum should be a little more present (perhaps a little louder and a bit brighter), which would probably "tighten" the low end up a lot. I kinda like the bass driven sound in this mix, reminds me of The Killers.

I dig atmospheric stuff like this that remains rock, but isn't filled with the same ol' riffs.

For some reason I'd be tempted to run this mix through SoundToys Decapitator (the Ampex setting) a little bit to add some grit and character to it. I think it would up the attitude if used sparingly and make things sound very "analogy."

Back