The One That Got Away

Sounds pretty good. Vocals are the slightest bit too forward. The snare sounds boxy, the cymbals could be more prominent. Guitars and bass sound right on.

I agree with mshilarious.... the main vocalist needs to be moved back so he's standing just a little in front of the guitarist playing those cool lines. Also, at the intro the lead guitar sounds a bit pitchy to me. With all those great licks the gtr does throughout, you might consider doing an edit phrase switch there. BG vocals are excellent.

Tim

I agree with what they said above about the mix, especially the vocal part, so not much to add mixwise.
Just wanted to say I like the song, it rocks! :D
Nice guitar work overall.

mshilarious said:
Sounds pretty good. Vocals are the slightest bit too forward. The snare sounds boxy, the cymbals could be more prominent. Guitars and bass sound right on.

Thanks, I'll see about pulling the vocal back slightly. I like where the cymbals are sitting though. I'll go for a little less cymbal then to much any day of the week. I found I had more cymbal then the Foo Fighters latest CD and Less then AudioSlave's latest. So I was trying to ballpark. Appreciate the listen and comments

Timothy Lawler said:
Also, at the intro the lead guitar sounds a bit pitchy to me.

You're more picky then me. :p I don't have a problem with the pitch myself, not saying it's 100% perfect pitch. It just doesn't make me cringe. Thanks for listening though and commenting.

SnakeDog5050 said:
Just wanted to say I like the song, it rocks! :D
Nice guitar work overall.

Thanks for the compliment SD5050.

Last edited:
You're more picky then me. I don't have a problem with the pitch myself, not saying it's 100% perfect pitch. It just doesn't make me cringe.
Yeah, I'm overly sensitive to intonation I admit, but still, I think that a gtr line at the opening of a tune generally gets more scrutiny from listeners and so is a good spot to be extra picky. You know what I mean... that 10 second finger-on-the-stop-button thing that listeners tend to do with new tunes.

Tim

Passing Thru said:
Hi, here is a mix finished for now recently. Let me know any thoughts on the song, mix, whatever. If you'd be so kind.

It's the 2nd from the top right now. The One That Got Away is the title

The One That Got Away

Thanks

The bottom of the rhythm section (and the sonic spectrum) is nice and big and fat; all seems well. To my ear, there are some mixed EQ curves in the vox, guitars, and the top of the drum miking... the aforementioned "boxy" snare sound; it's like it's being grabbed by a more distant mic, without a primary on it. Cymbals could cut a little more too.

There's a little minor pitchiness in some of the vocals, including one of the backup vox tracks, but it's not a huge deal, it's a loosey-goosey kind of song and groove, so it's pretty comfortable.

In all though, minor mix/master stufff aside; it's a nicely done, well executed piece. This is a band that sounds like it's a lot of fun live...

Back