The Official BOSS BR-800 Thread

can someone advise with something please.

I have been recording using my semi acoustic which is fine but playing some songs is a right b atch lol. so i got a telecaster electric as ist so much more easier to play but when i play it on the br 800 there is hardly any sound at all unless i use the heavy effects. which i dont want. basically i just want it play normally but with electric sound. all the normal effects you can hard hear the guitar. and if effect is off you hear nothing really.
i just dont get it at all? when plug the electirc acoustic i i have to turn it down. on the electric full blast and nothing.
ive tried all the different things . has anybody had this problem. ? basically i just want to play rhythmn guitar on electric but its so faint.even using the rythmn guitar effect. heavy and all the others is fine but its far to heavy for intial recording . any help would be much appreciated

Have you tried this new guitar plugged into an amp? Make sure it's not a problem with the guitar first!
Make sure you have the BR800 input that you have the guitar plugged into selected as 'instrument'.

Have you tried this new guitar plugged into an amp? Make sure it's not a problem with the guitar first!
Make sure you have the BR800 input that you have the guitar plugged into selected as 'instrument'.

hi yeah plays fine through a amp plays fine through the br 800 when use the harder effects like lead and heavy metal etc/ just on all the normal ones i can hardly hear it. very odd as the semi acoustic i have to turn down .
i got the electric so i could play the song first record then add stuff after as the semi is so tough on some songs and killing me fingers lol you cant beat a electric but its usless to me if i cant hear it. its the strangest thing.

hi all, now heres the thing. I recorded clean electric guitar tracks 1 and 2 I recorded clean Bass guitar tracks 2 and 3 then i recorded clean vocals on track 5/6. Now maybe its me or this boss br800 aint capable, but how can i add effects to each instrument? i.e. make the guitar on track 1 and 2 sound distorted while adding a different effect to track 3 and 4 (bass) and then adding a third effect to the vocals. Is it fact that you can only use one effect??

Also i understand there is an option for adding reverb to each track and panning each track...will these effects end up in the final mastering then on to CD or are these panning, reverb track effects (loops i believe) only for monitoring purpose?

Sorry if this has already been answered elsewhere but i'm a noob :eek:

First time poster :)

This is an old query, but I haven't seen it answered correctly anywhere. Yes you can add effects to an already recorded track using the following steps.
1. Ensure effect location is set to the track you want to add the effect to.
2. Go to MENU>MASTERING>set to 'ON', EXIT twice to enter mastering mode.
3. Move cursor to select destination track - I usually use a virtual track on the same track as the dry sound.
4. Ensure Rhythm volume is off, and PLAY button (below faders) is only on for the source track. Set fader to desired level.
5. Press REC on transport and PLAY.

Last edited:
Hi there. Was wondering if anyone could help with a problem I'm encountering with mr Boss BR800. Cannot seem to find a solution for the problem anywhere on the internet. The problem is with the Copy function (specifically in copying a segment,a riff,etc) in order to loop the guitar part continiously (for info - I have version 1.10)
I have the time set to measures - Example for the loop- START: 301 (measure) END: 604 (measure) TO: 701 (measure) [as for the amount of REPEATS i have tried setting from x1 to x4] the result is I get one loop/join but the end of guitar part seems to be cut short every time. Really struggling with this. Is there something i am foolishly missing here? Thankyou.

I have the time set to measures - Example for the loop- START: 301 (measure) END: 604 (measure) TO: 701 (measure) [as for the amount of REPEATS i have tried setting from x1 to x4] the result is I get one loop/join but the end of guitar part seems to be cut short every time.

When you specify the measures, it's important to realize that the END point is non-inclusive. That's because it represents a point in time that corresponds to the start of the beat. So change your settings to START: 301 END: 701 TO: 701 and it will work just fine.

Measures.png

Last edited:
can someone advise with something please.

I have been recording using my semi acoustic which is fine but playing some songs is a right b atch lol. so i got a telecaster electric as ist so much more easier to play but when i play it on the br 800 there is hardly any sound at all unless i use the heavy effects. which i dont want. basically i just want it play normally but with electric sound. all the normal effects you can hard hear the guitar. and if effect is off you hear nothing really.
i just dont get it at all? when plug the electirc acoustic i i have to turn it down. on the electric full blast and nothing.
ive tried all the different things . has anybody had this problem. ? basically i just want to play rhythmn guitar on electric but its so faint.even using the rythmn guitar effect. heavy and all the others is fine but its far to heavy for intial recording . any help would be much appreciated

Sorry about the delay replying as I saw this message a while back but wanted to check first as I am new to the BR800.

I have a solid electric ukulele with a passive piezo pickup which, although the impedance is fine, doesn't give enough signal for the guitar input so I use a DI box and record using one of the mic inputs. That works fine and I can get a decent record level that way.

hi can someone please explain how to use the inferface on the br800. i connect to the pc in usb mode. click on catwalk no idear what that does.
i saw a demo and he can use the unit on the pc i cant see how you do that.
also that rhythm editor it shows the song title i click play it doesn't play the song so how can add drums edit etc. sorry im probably being thick the manual isn't showing me in real language of what i want to do

basically can i interface some how wiith the pc and add extra drums and other instruments etc to my song or is that not possible. or do i have to use the unit only

also does anybody haveany tips on getting good sound quality and mastering . ive listened to a lot of cuebase stuff and the quality seems far superior to the br800

thanks

I got the Boss BR-800 the other week and have recorded a few songs, i want to get them onto my computer but every time I connect via the USB The "SKETCH" folder is empty? and I cant find the files... can anyone tell me why this may be? Iv been messing around with it for ages today and just cant fathom it

Just wonderd if you could tell me why when i use the USB to upload files to the WAVE converter i cant find the files, the manual says they would be in the "SKETCH" folder but the folder is empty, cheers

Just wonderd if you could tell me why when i use the USB to upload files to the WAVE converter i cant find the files, the manual says they would be in the "SKETCH" folder but the folder is empty, cheers

These may seem obvious but....

Have you checked that the BR 800 detects the songs on the SD card? If the BR800 fails to detect them, chances are you've erased them somehow.

When you stop recording, the display tells you to leave the BR800 switched on while it saves the data. Did you do that?

can anybody help me i am so pissed of with this br800

here's the problem i recorded 2 tracks then it says memory full i delete songs , still have the problem. so i save the song in its current state option
which seems to work. i now record vocals i get near to the end and again comes up memory full.
ive tried saving in current state and deleting one of the tracks but nothing is happening. now when i click save in current state nothing happens. just says keep power on for hours.
its beyond annoying. i cant record the song again and if i did i'd just end up with the same problem .
is there anything i can do. theres plenty of memory ive only used 2 tracks.
i heard you can upload with the wave feature than somehow download it again into the machine. but that doesn't work either i click wave convert and nothing happens on the pc. and thats a long awful way of having to record a song.

When you erase a track/song, it's still taking up room on the memory card, there's another step you have to do to free up the space. I found that out with the BR600. Somehting about scrubbing, possibly. I did a quick look thorugh the user manual and didn't see it.

Editing drum patterns on the Br-800 unit

Hi,

I have been offered the Br-800 at a reduced price by a friend because he doesn't have the sonar CD or the installation disk. I'm told the unit can be used on its own for basic recording/editing just fine, but I really want to be able to create my own rhythm tracks.

Can anyone please tell me if you can: -

1. edit the on-board beats or,
2. create your own drum beats

on the unit itself, or can these things only be done on your computer/laptop with the unit connected?

Thanks!

Your 'friend' is probably trying to hose you. You can download the installation discs and more at Boss's site here. You can get the full manual there and read it through- yes you can edit rhythm tracks on the machine and in your computer. I assume you can create your own as well, at least you could with the Boss BR600. You don't need Sonar, you can use any DAW in your computer, just export the tracks form the Boss and insert them in the DAW.

Hello everybody
can anyone help me?
I have got br800, i have music recorded in format wav, i want send this fieldwav and get a track with this wav, is it posibble?
I haved readed the manual, i know that with software br converter wav i can convert fields br to wav, but, from wave to br??
sorry my english
thanks
Angel

i know that with software br converter wav i can convert fields br to wav, but, from wave to br??

BR Wave Converter is the best way to transfer files. It can Export (BR to WAV) and Import (WAV to BR). To import WAV files, just select the song, click the Import button, select an empty track or track pair (for stereo WAV files) as the destination, then click the GO button. A dialog will pop up to allow you to select which WAV file to import.

There is a separate manual for the BR Wave Converter that describes how to do both import and export of WAV files. It should be included with the BR Wave Converter but it depends where you downloaded it from.

Here's the English version of the BR Wave Converter manual for Windows.

http://lib.roland.co.jp/support/en/downloads/res/62121891/BR_Wave_Converter_Manual_Win_E.pdf

There is also a Mac version available.

http://lib.roland.co.jp/support/en/downloads/res/62121892/BR_Wave_Converter_Manual_Mac_E.pdf

You can also use the method that mjbphotos suggested. However, that only copies the WAV file to the SKETCH folder. You can then play the song in Sketch Mode. But if you want to use the WAV file in multitrack mode, then you have to also follow the instructions on page 108 ("Importing song sketch data into a track"). This will convert the WAV file from the SKETCH folder into the proprietary format used in multitrack mode.

BR Wave Converter is also faster if you remove the memory card and insert it into a card reader attached to your computer. This is because the BR-800 uses USB 1.1 (slow) while most memory card readers are USB 2.0 or faster. The BR Wave Converter software doesn't care if it's connected to a card reader or an actual BR-800. They will both appear the same to the software because it only works with the data that's on the card.

I am new to the forum thing but I just read most of this thread from start to finish, I use the br800. I think the portability is fantastic and I have recorded in some interesting locations. I am a guy who likes to experiment until I run into an issue then I read the manual. I have been creating my own kits and patterns and arrangements via the rhythm editor and figured most of it out without using the manual. Yes its easy and the truly curious of mind will experiment and find joy, if that's what wets your sheets.

I have been using samples from my NI Battery collections as well as samples I have created. I sampled a power chord and replaced one of the cymbals with fantastic results... there is a limit to the size and attributes of the samples though... Truth is the limitations are technical references that I don't really understand... I am not a techie or a musician or a scientist but a simple aural sculptist.

Back