The Official BOSS BR-800 Thread

Didn't know they had added that feature, limited as it is!

And it works!! It does exactly what they claim, those that prefer mixing with faders will have them. In Sonar, a purple line will show up in console view, below the 6 onscreen faders that it can work with. The line can be moved in real time. The tracks have to be together, so one can't pick 1, 6, 9 etc and have to pick 1234 etc. It can work with automation too: just arm the tracks in the DAW, and it will record the automation and pretty accurately.

I got a BR-800 as a gift a year ago... I discovered the panel looking weird one day and a few weeks later I also found water leaking out of the device.

Everything thing seems to work except for the touch sensors... Does anyone have any knowledge on how touch sensors work?

I tried cleaning the front panel, the insides of the panel, as well as trying to touch the circuit board itself with my finger to see if I could activate it that way... no avail.

Assistance requierd

Hello, it´s been 2 weeks since I got my Boss Br-800. It looks great and I have already recorded couple of tracks, there are just certain questions to which I cannot find the answers neither in manual nor anywhere else and it is keeping me from really getting the work done. First of all, I cant hear the sound from PC. When I connect my Boss to the PC and set it as a primary output device, no sound comes from my 5,1 sound system connected to PC. Anyway to repair this? This is connected with the rhythm editor, where I need to hear the song in order to create drum patterns. Is there a way to fix this?
Another thing is, how to record from a certain point in a song? I mean, is there a way to set the device to start recording from a certain moment? When you record stuff, you do mistakes and it is not that great to record the whole track again, there must be some way, how to play the song and than record from a certain moment that you set (probably the moment when you made a mistake). Or when you want to start recording from the half of the song. It is unpractical to have another person press play button, there should be a way to set the metronome to do 4 beats and than you start your recording (this is what I have seen in pro tool, when I was recording in the studio).
Another thing, how to record 8 tracks? First 4 tracks are clear, but than you have 5/6 and 7/8. Do they stand for one track each, or for two? How does it work then? And can I use more V-tracks, so that I would have for instance 10 tracks in one song?
Any help will be very appreciated, because these problems are keeping from doing, what really matters - recording songs. :)

Look up 'punching in/out' in the manual for the overtracking you are trying to do (page 45).
Manual here: BOSS U.S. - Product Manuals

Assume you are connecting the BR800 to your PC via USB? You need to set the BR-800 as your audio input source in your computer's sound set-up.

Assistance requierd

I came across the punching in/out function, also the auto-punching, probably just have to play with it to make it work. But I still don't understand whether the 5/6 track stands for one or two separate tracks? Because I seem to be able to record only one track within 5/6 or 7/8.
And what exactly does it mean to record stereo? I ask, because when I was recording stereo I heard the guitar only on the left side of the headphones. Does it mean, that I can record two guitars within one track (if set as a stereo) with one guitar being in the left and the other one in the right side?
And I have read that you can record all together 64 tracks viac V-traks. Does it mean that I can use them all (theoretically) in Sonar if exported via wave converter?
Maybe these questions are dumb, but I am new to the whole recording machines :)

But I still don't understand whether the 5/6 track stands for one or two separate tracks?

One, a stereo track.

And what exactly does it mean to record stereo? I ask, because when I was recording stereo I heard the guitar only on the left side of the headphones.
The left side recorded guitar, the right side recorded silence. It all depends on how your input is set up. Go to menu/input, and your first choice will be "guitar/bass". Look at the second line, it says "mono rec". Move to that line with the arrows, and you will be able to choose "stereo rec". That will put the guitar in the center and use stereo effects.
Does it mean, that I can record two guitars within one track (if set as a stereo) with one guitar being in the left and the other one in the right side?
You can't "overdub" on 5/6, in other words you can't split them. You can record with both sides in stereo, or one side with mono (and the other side will be silence). You can't go back in and record over that silence. It's not about the track so much as it is the choice of inputs. There is no choice for 2 guitars, as it would need two actual guitar jacks.

And I have read that you can record all together 64 tracks viac V-traks. Does it mean that I can use them all (theoretically) in Sonar if exported via wave converter?

In Sonar, you can import as many tracks as it can handle. There might be a limit on the LE version, I don't use it. But yeah, you can import all the v-tracks into Sonar, and use them all.

Hi I wonder if anyone can help me:

I have got a boss BR-1600. I have a problem with tracks controlling other track volumes.

If I record onto track 1 and bring up the volume fader of track 3 the volume from 1 gets louder. If I lower the fader the volume from Track One Goes Down.

If I record on track 2 then track 1 and 4 can control the level. It's crazy.

I have taken everything off the machine and Initialized everything I can. I have also done 1 surface scan of the HD.

I hope this made sense to you

Please Help

DavidK, thank you very much for your reply, things should be much clearer to me know. One last question. I seem to have trouble with Sonar LE/Boss BR-800 interaction. I exported the tracks via wave converter to PC but Sonar LE doesn´t seem to be able to recognize them. I watched couple of forums, quite some people had this problem, but I couldn´t find any help on those forums. I have tried some things that were suggested, but I will keep trying. If anyone might have had a similar problem and found a solution, please, help me :) Thanks

DavidK, thank you very much for your reply, things should be much clearer to me know. One last question. I seem to have trouble with Sonar LE/Boss BR-800 interaction. I exported the tracks via wave converter to PC but Sonar LE doesn´t seem to be able to recognize them. I watched couple of forums, quite some people had this problem, but I couldn´t find any help on those forums. I have tried some things that were suggested, but I will keep trying. If anyone might have had a similar problem and found a solution, please, help me :) Thanks

A few ideas:

1. Right-click on the file you want to import into Sonar, and check the "properties". It should say 16bit 44.1 .wav If it doesn't, you don't have it converted properly.

2. In Sonar, make sure you have audio tracks and not midi tracks. At top, go to "Insert" and then insert some audio tracks

3. Try to drag your file from your desktop to the audio track in Sonar.

4. If that doesn't work, select an audio track (click on the track number), then go to "File" at top, then "import". Sometimes the drag and drop doesn't work, so try importing a file that way.

Thanks for reply. I have actually found a way - just open up a new project and you can paste the tracks there, really easy. My bad. :D But I can´t make them sound. When I push play, no sound. I was trying to play with volume, but there are just too many buttons. Maybe I am missing something. And, do you think, I should use Sonar 8.5 LE or rather Sonar X2 (friend is selling it)?

Maybe I should mention that I have 5.1 sound system. I really want to use the software (either sonar 8.5 le or sonar x2) only for editing. Lets say I record a song with piano, guitar, keys, bass and voice. I record every instrument 5-6 times and than I edit it in the program. I mean cutting so I would have flawless tracks. All the tutorials on the internet seem to be focused on how to actually record with Sonar while I want to use it only for editing and cutting. In other words - I want to make my recording as easy as possible :) So anyone using it like this?

i really need some help. all i want to do is plug my mic in line 1 plug my guitar in line 2 or the guitar imput and then record but all im getting is guitar no mic sound. ive tried messing about with things but all i get is either the built in mics or just some awful vocal sound in one ear.

they make these things so hard. driving me crazy .

If your microphone is a condensor, then it needs phantom power and needs to be plugged into input 4.
Have you read the manual? Page 30 tells you how the 'SOURCE' function needs to be set for recording various things.
You can access the manual here: BOSS U.S. - Product Manuals

Last edited:
whats a consenor mic. i got a dynamic one,
not impressed with the 800 so far. ive tried recording but the mic sound is so low and lifeless and sounds distorted . cant see how its possible to record a good song or sing well as there's no power to it and sounds so bad. is there some kind of setting i should be using ive tried all sorts. imput 4 imput 1 and all the various sounds but that changes the guitar as well. complicated business.
i miss the tape 4 tracks so easy plug guitar in plug mic in and record and sounded good then add what you want. these digital ones are a nitemare.
all i want is to play and sing and record it lol then add stuff afterwards. depressing it is. though i do panic lol
any help would be appreciated.

I imagine if your mic sounds weak that you need to adjust the gain (input level) - it's all in the manual. What microphone are you using?

I imagine if your mic sounds weak that you need to adjust the gain (input level) - it's all in the manual. What microphone are you using?

i'm using a yoga 5x 528

whats the best way to record with mic and guitar to ensure a good sound . guess thats my problem

I have an ME-25 effects unit....I like the preset sounds..Does my BR 800 have the same presets?....and..can I transfer them from ME 25 to BR 800? thanks. Ian

I have an ME-25 effects unit....I like the preset sounds..Does my BR 800 have the same presets?....and..can I transfer them from ME 25 to BR 800? thanks. Ian
I doubt it (to both questions).
Record the 'wet' ME25 output - remember that when recording guitar, less distortion is 'more'.

Back