The obligatory "What kind of computer setup?" question

antacid

I'm trying to figure out exactly what specs I need for zero-latency (or as close as possible) recording/monitoring using a PC. I don't record a lot of tracks at the same time, but I do layer a lot of tracks per song. I also need to be able to use a good deal of plugins/virtual instruments without being held back by the computer, and would like to be able to play with them in real time when recording a specific part.

Honestly, if someone could propose a specific build from Newegg including everything down to the case, it would make my day. I have no idea what I need and what components are compatible with each other. Please help the newb... :o

Any current PC will do fine for audio work.

The key to getting minimal latency is getting an interface for your audio work, and not using the PC's sound card.

If you are doing audio stuff, and your PC is located where you do your recording, ,then you need a case that is quiet . . . think about getting silent power supply and CPU fan.

I'm trying to figure out exactly what specs I need for zero-latency (or as close as possible) recording/monitoring using a PC. I don't record a lot of tracks at the same time, but I do layer a lot of tracks per song. I also need to be able to use a good deal of plugins/virtual instruments without being held back by the computer, and would like to be able to play with them in real time when recording a specific part.

Honestly, if someone could propose a specific build from Newegg including everything down to the case, it would make my day. I have no idea what I need and what components are compatible with each other. Please help the newb... :o

What is your budget? You can get by with under $600. Up that budget to $1200, and you can build a PC that will never fail you. Interface not included...

Hi antacid!

I'm just going to say that if this computer is going to be in any way "mission critical", then cough up a few extra bucks for a good power supply. Seasonic for example.

Paul

What is your budget? You can get by with under $600. Up that budget to $1200, and you can build a PC that will never fail you. Interface not included...

Could you give an example build for each of those price points? I'm dead in the water without a specific parts list.

Back