The New Tone Thread

I'm not interested in "the" Fender tone myself, just a good, solid clean that's in the ballpark...

Got the little EVH fired up right now, & holy fuck this thing has got tons of gain...:D

Going to the complete opposite end of the spectrum....I'm gonna see if I can get my buddy's Splawn Quickrod home with me tonight. I wanna play around with it. If I do, I'll make some br00tal toanz.

Ok here's a little clip I worked on today...The clean sound here wasn't recorded with the EVH rig, I can't even remember which it was honestly, but more than likely it was the DSL's clean channel...The dirty guitars here are:

SG > EVH LBX > G12-65 re-issue > i5 (There is reverb on these guitar tracks, but no eq)

Amp settings:

15w mode
Red channel

Resonance:..........2-3
Gain:..................2
Bass:..................8
Mid:....................5
Treble:................6
Volume:..............3
Presence:............2

Mix 9-2

I didn't have the amp as wound up as I'd like, but I'm still trying not to be overly loud a lot here...Once in a while I can get by with, but not for hours on end like I was doing before...While this tone isn't terrible/bad to me, I probably need to get it up to around 6-ish, as that's where the sweet spot is for this little amp...

Lemme know what you guys think...

Ok here's a little clip I worked on today...The clean sound here wasn't recorded with the EVH rig, I can't even remember which it was honestly, but more than likely it was the DSL's clean channel...The dirty guitars here are:

SG > EVH LBX > G12-65 re-issue > i5 (There is reverb on these guitar tracks, but no eq)

Amp settings:

15w mode
Red channel

Mix 9-2

I didn't have the amp as wound up as I'd like, but I'm still trying not to be overly loud a lot here...Once in a while I can get by with, but not for hours on end like I was doing before...While this tone isn't terrible/bad to me, I probably need to get it up to around 6-ish, as that's where the sweet spot is for this little amp...

That sounds good dude. Maybe the best you've done yet with that amp. Good chunk and thickness without the buzz and fuzz. Nice work.

The quest for tone that requires new learning - of chords for me anyway!
I've updated, after some time practicing, my latest song.
I used my Epiphone Sheraton II this time for all tracks - as the humbuckers seem to get a better response from the little amp I'm using.9592-epiphone-sheraton-ii-semi-acoustic-natural--large.jpg KH5..jpg4x12.JPG
There're L & R track of 5ths, L & R tracks of the new chords shapes and a little bit of arp. in the verses.
Oh, for experiment's sake I've changed the verse to minor as the song doesn't have too much in dynamics.

How's the tone now that there's more top end via the chord shapes, more push from the guitar and the key difference?

Last edited:
Ray I don't think all those minors work. The whole song sounds out of tune now. The beauty of mixing minors and majors is making them fit in the right places so it's pleasing to the ear and each chord kind of resolves into the next one. I'm gonna step way out of my lane for a bit, but I think, very generally, it goes like this for the most part....if I get this wrong someone please correct me....

You got the key of the song. There are 7 notes in the key. The 8th is just an octave of the root. The root (1), 4th and 5th chords are major. 2nd, 3rd, and 6th are minor. The 7th is diminished but you can just fudge that retarded chord with a powerchord.

Pretty much any pop/rock song with a toe-tapping feel I've ever come across follows this general formula. Sure, there are tons of exceptions, but this basic stuff works most of the time. I think your song fits the criteria of something that could benefit from this pattern. So determine whatever key your song is in, and try this chord formula out and see if it works instead of just randomly throwing minors everywhere.

As for the tone, it's pretty scratchy. I think your cleaner jangly sound would work better for this. The distorted guitars have a buzzy direct sound to them.

Greg, Thanks.
It's still just an platform to experiment on - the thought about the minor verse was simply that it was easier to play in a row.
The tone - yeah, I was quite unhappy with it - the sound was OK in tracking headphones but was thin rubbish in the monitors.
I'll pull the newer chord from it and listen to the underlying 5ths to suss out whether there's anything usable from today.
At least I've learnt a new voicing that I can apply elsewhere.

I don't know too much about those.. Specs look like a Bassman with vibe and verb.

I like a few things about it. Reverb and tremolo obviously. The wattage (40) is right in my range of what I'd need in an amp that can be used live.

I don't give a fuck about blackface/silverface circuitry. I'm not sniffing those corks. Couldn't care less. I just want the spring reverb, tremolo, and wattage. Being tube rectified is interesting too.

the view from my gig today ..... ok .... not the actual view.

Gonna be hot hot hot!

A totally different set of gear so a lot of work for me emptying out the truck .... filling it with different stuff .... set up at 4 .... goes till midnight .... tear down and get home around 2am ...... then unload the truck and reload with tomorrows' gear.

Pirate band so I gotta wear stupid pirate shit and they don't pay well ......... ARGHHHHHHH!

Attachments

• pirate poster.jpg
    pirate poster.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 0
That sounds good dude. Maybe the best you've done yet with that amp. Good chunk and thickness without the buzz and fuzz. Nice work.

Thanks man, I found something in my little setup the other day when you & Jdod mentioned it...The buzzing that was on some of my tracks was a little patch cable I had going from the re-amp box to the amp...

At first I thought I had a tube going bad because I had some noise/oscillation that wasn't there before. A neighbor was mowing his yard, & it sounded like the lawnmower was somehow coming through the amp...I plugged the guitar straight into the amp & it wasn't there, so I swapped that cable out & problem solved...

Apparently that buzz/noise had always been there, & kept getting worse over time...Guess I'll keep the 1/4" ends & re-do 'em with different/good cable...

Ray: I don't think the tone is terrible, may be a little thin, but not bad dude...I think the chords you're using is hurting more than they're helping, it does sound kinda funky...

Maybe dial the use of the chords back a little & it may give the impact you're looking for...My dumb 'ol, water-logged brain can't make any suggestions to help, other than what I'd do, which is basically trial/error until I find something that fits...:D

Amp settings:

15w mode
Red channel

Mix 9-2

It sounds fantastic to me man.

Back