The New Apple Mac Pro Announced Today!

flat1ine said:
one thing to keep in mind here too, windows machines can also run OSX, right up to 10.4.6.

having just built a new AMD system, two cores running at 2.6ghz, 2 gigs of low latency ram, nearly a terrabyte of storage, two nvidia 7900 GT Superclocked CO's in SLI - it runs OSX 10.4.4 beautifully. oh, and it cost under $1000.

don't get me wrong, i love macs - love em. use 'em every day at the office, but the software set isn't there, running windows on a mac is buggy as hell, there are almost no games worth playing, and they're not affordable.

when Apple starts to allow third party vendors, prices will fall, and MAYBE, just maybe a level playing field will start to form.

well.. if youre playing games, then stick with a windows, guy..

macs arent for those who fool around ;)

im not fooling with audio/video production, so i use the real tools..

hey man, i'm not trying to jump down anyone's throat here. if i could afford a new mac, believe me, i'd have a pc for gaming and a mac for everything else (i'm a graphic designer, so photoshop, illustrator, indesign, i love running tiger) - i'm all for mac, don't get me wrong. it'll just be a while before i'll make the switch.

as of now, i just can't justify paying more than double for proprietary hardware.

for the record, i am just foolin' with A/V - so i'm cool for now ;)

The new mac is priced less then the similar equiped dell. It just seems that it's priced way expensive then pc counterparts.

The new mac is priced less then the similar equiped dell. It just seems that it's priced way expensive then pc counterparts.

Actually, An identically spec'd dell (based on a poweredge 2950) comes out to be cheaper and includes a 3 year warranty (apple care is $250). In fact, it comes with SAS (serial attached scsi) and has way better hd's as options. even the big dog xps is $2200 and that comes with a 20 in display

also, for the record, there is no such thing as a "quad core" available atm. mac pro is two dual core xeons (5150's IIRC) which is the server version of Conroe (aka Core 2 Duo)

Back