The New Apple Mac Pro Announced Today!

mikedaul said:
Well, they just bought ATI (and apple/intel has immediately stopped using ati gpu's).

You can get the ATI card in the Mac Pro as a BTO option (just like you could with the quad G5 before it). ATI is the stock chip in the MacBook Pro, too. I don't know where you heard that Apple has stopped using ATI chips. If that's true, it's news to me (and apparently, it's news to the store.apple.com web site, too). :D

dgatwood said:
You can get the ATI card in the Mac Pro as a BTO option (just like you could with the quad G5 before it). ATI is the stock chip in the MacBook Pro, too. I don't know where you heard that Apple has stopped using ATI chips. If that's true, it's news to me (and apparently, it's news to the store.apple.com web site, too). :D

Obviusly I'm totally mistaken about apple no longer using ATI gpu's. I'm not sure where I heard that, but as they say, you can't believe everything you read on the interweb...

Here is a newsflash guys. Once you have a 'Mac' with Intel processors, running Windows XP....you have a freakin' PC. An overpriced PC, proprietary PC with an apple on it.

The way I see it, it is apple finally conceding that having a computer that uses a propietary OS, and only runs like 5 apps is leaving them out of most of the home computer market.

amra said:
Here is a newsflash guys. Once you have a 'Mac' with Intel processors, running Windows XP....you have a freakin' PC. An overpriced PC, proprietary PC with an apple on it.

I don't think it is overpriced. $2600 for the following:
Quad Core 2.66Ghz Intel Xeon.
2GB Ram
2 16x Dual Layer DVD Burner Superdrives
250GB System Hard Drive
Dual DVI Video Card that can support the 30" Displays.
The option of Running Win. XP in addition to Mac OS.

There are some programs I would run on the Mac OS and some I would run on XP.
Regular PCs don't have that option.

TragikRemix said:
umm...

its a combined 3ghz between 2 processors.

not 12ghz..
ummmm... :rolleyes:
There are Dual, Dual Cores. Each core running at 3.0Ghz
If you have a single Dual core clocked at 2.0Ghz, it is 2.0Ghz per core as well.
I guess I could be wrong. :o

im a tad depressed that mac is intel now...

im a diehard mac and im not looking to jump for any intels..

powermac g4 cube, ibook g4, imac g5, no thanks intel...

GOODLAND said:
ummmm... :rolleyes:
There are Dual, Dual Cores. Each core running at 3.0Ghz
If you have a single Dual core clocked at 2.0Ghz, it is 2.0Ghz per core as well.

im absolutley in disagreement with you.

if it was 12 ghz, it would be advertised as such.

each core may be running at 3ghz, but they dont add together.

somebody tiebreak!

TragikRemix said:

somebody tiebreak!

Well, if you are right then I guess it is running at 6 Ghz.
Which is still really fast.

a macintosh computer doesnt deserve to have windows on it, thats just disgracing the unit ;)

im sure some windows guys agree to the opposite.

TragikRemix said:

somebody tiebreak!

Oh wait, I see what you are saying.
Sorry, I misunderstood.

TragikRemix said:
a macintosh computer doesnt deserve to have windows on it, thats just disgracing the unit ;)

im sure some windows guys agree to the opposite.

It's not that I enjoy the windows interface. there are just some programs that I would still like to use when I get a Mac.
It’s not that hard to understand.

GOODLAND said:
It's not that I enjoy the windows interface. there are just some programs that I would still like to use when I get a Mac.
It’s not that hard to understand.

i gotcha..

but alot of developers are making mac versions now too, considerably more than there were in the past.

TragikRemix said:
i gotcha..

but alot of developers are making mac versions now too, considerably more than there were in the past.

I agree, but there are still a few programs I use that have not been switched over yet.

If your are willing and able to spend a lot of cash to get a fast system, there are definately ways to go quicker. AMD Opteron systems with 8 (yes eight) cores clocked at around 3ghz per core have already been build. Do the math. That and 8 gigs of ram per core.

That's all just theory though. I feel that one big reason why it doesn't really matter is that macs it's still a big wad of cash for most people. Plus, the speed gained is not as spectacular as it looks, at all.

No way my 2ghz AMD is is 26 times faster than my first 75mhz pentium 1.

Clock speed has almost nothing to do with how fast a system is these days. It is all about the architecture of the processor and its chipset. Apple claims that the new Mac Pro is twice as fast as the quad G5 despite it being clocked slower , which i tend to believe since the claims they made about the macbook were pretty dead on. A 2.2 gHz Core 2 6400 blows away a FX-62 which is clocked at 3.0 gHz.. its all about the underlying things these days

one thing to keep in mind here too, windows machines can also run OSX, right up to 10.4.6.

having just built a new AMD system, two cores running at 2.6ghz, 2 gigs of low latency ram, nearly a terrabyte of storage, two nvidia 7900 GT Superclocked CO's in SLI - it runs OSX 10.4.4 beautifully. oh, and it cost under $1000.

don't get me wrong, i love macs - love em. use 'em every day at the office, but the software set isn't there, running windows on a mac is buggy as hell, there are almost no games worth playing, and they're not affordable.

when Apple starts to allow third party vendors, prices will fall, and MAYBE, just maybe a level playing field will start to form.

Are you saying that any intel system can run OSX?

How so?

flat1ine said:
one thing to keep in mind here too, windows machines can also run OSX, right up to 10.4.6.

having just built a new AMD system, two cores running at 2.6ghz, 2 gigs of low latency ram, nearly a terrabyte of storage, two nvidia 7900 GT Superclocked CO's in SLI - it runs OSX 10.4.4 beautifully. oh, and it cost under $1000.

don't get me wrong, i love macs - love em. use 'em every day at the office, but the software set isn't there, running windows on a mac is buggy as hell, there are almost no games worth playing, and they're not affordable.

when Apple starts to allow third party vendors, prices will fall, and MAYBE, just maybe a level playing field will start to form.

flat1ine said:
running windows on a mac is buggy as hell, there are almost no games worth playing, and they're not affordable.

The last reason I would buy a mac is to play games.
Anyway, Macs do much better with media all around, hands down, period.

Back