The New Apple Mac Pro Announced Today!

We can all kiss AMD goodbye. Intel has really stepped up their game here with the new Xeons.
And now that Windows XP can be run on the new Macs I have no reason to stay
on my PC.
I plan on getting one soon.

Ummm cost and can your applications utilize all that muscle? Just wondering if these aren't still relavant? :confused:

Some programs can, but most regular consumer programs won't be able to use all that. I think that the Intel vs AMD war is kind of too spoken of or whatever. Each company will release the better chip eventually. When Intel came with the pentium 4, amd came with the 64's, when pentium comes with it's D's, AMD came with it's X2's, now pentium will come with it's conroes, and AMD has yet to answer back. As far as the Xeon & Opteron battle, the speeds will never be used by regular consumers, only for those running dedicated servers etc.

Mindset said:
Some programs can, but most regular consumer programs won't be able to use all that. I think that the Intel vs AMD war is kind of too spoken of or whatever. Each company will release the better chip eventually. When Intel came with the pentium 4, amd came with the 64's, when pentium comes with it's D's, AMD came with it's X2's, now pentium will come with it's conroes, and AMD has yet to answer back. As far as the Xeon & Opteron battle, the speeds will never be used by regular consumers, only for those running dedicated servers etc.

Yes, but the AMDs will never be seen in Macs.
Intel has a huge advantage now that they have partnered with apple.
Now Windows XP and Mac OSX can be run on the same machine.

punkin said:
Ummm cost and can your applications utilize all that muscle? Just wondering if these aren't still relavant? :confused:

Ummmmm... Yes, I will be editing HD Video in Final Cut Pro and Audio Processing in Pro Tools LE 7.1.1. and Logic Pro 7.2.
Those programs take full advantage. And I will need it. :D

GOODLAND said:
Yes, but the AMDs will never be seen in Macs.
Intel has a huge advantage now that they have partnered with apple.
Now Windows XP and Mac OSX can be run on the same machine.

Oh I agree, I wonder how AMD is going to react on it though. What are THEY going to do now? :confused:

yeah, it's nice... but theres better out there... Sun workstations can allocate twice as much RAM... the IBM's can probably do the same. Apples entery into the PC archetectue allows them to use standard server features that they've been lacking like NUMA awareness (which I can't tell if they are yet) but quad and even 8-32 processor machines exist.. and have so for a while.

GOODLAND said:
Ummmmm... Yes, I will be editing HD Video in Final Cut Pro and Audio Processing in Pro Tools LE 7.1.1. and Logic Pro 7.2.
Those programs take full advantage. And I will need it. :D

Awww now you got me started...I've got big Mac G5 sittin here the only thing it gets used for is the Final Cut. A situation that really got me yanked off since the colleges are all pushing Final Cut in school and you guessed it you gotta have a mac. Avid...a very capable program why not teach both?! Pushing yet another button, I went to my kids open house at school...what the he[[! The computer lab only had MACs in it! The whole world is doing most of the computer work on PC's the the local government is jammin that damn thing down my kids throat and I can't get away from the simple economics of the machines...school district cries the blues because they're short on cash yet the administrators are all makin' 6 figures and are buying MACs...there are very nicely outfitted PC machines for a fraction of the cost on State Contract. What the!!!!

OK...I'm off it...sorry for that emotional outburst. 4 chippies you say? Hmmm...it does seem kinda cool though :D

punkin said:
Awww now you got me started...I've got big Mac G5 sittin here the only thing it gets used for is the Final Cut. A situation that really got me yanked off since the colleges are all pushing Final Cut in school and you guessed it you gotta have a mac. Avid...a very capable program why not teach both?! Pushing yet another button, I went to my kids open house at school...what the he[[! The computer lab only had MACs in it! The whole world is doing most of the computer work on PC's the the local government is jammin that damn thing down my kids throat and I can't get away from the simple economics of the machines...school district cries the blues because they're short on cash yet the administrators are all makin' 6 figures and are buying MACs...there are very nicely outfitted PC machines for a fraction of the cost on State Contract. What the!!!!

OK...I'm off it...sorry for that emotional outburst. 4 chippies you say? Hmmm...it does seem kinda cool though :D

For Schools I can see why PCs would be a more practical buy.
However, as a professional, it is important that things just WORK.
And it seems that Macs run a lot smoother with less complications. Not saying
good PCs can't do the job, just that I've had more than a few complications
with my PC and it gets tiring after a while.
I've been a PC guy for years and have gotten real comfortable with Windows XP.
But now have no exuse not to switch over since I can run windows on the new Macs.

zekthedeadcow said:
yeah, it's nice... but theres better out there... Sun workstations can allocate twice as much RAM... the IBM's can probably do the same. Apples entery into the PC archetectue allows them to use standard server features that they've been lacking like NUMA awareness (which I can't tell if they are yet) but quad and even 8-32 processor machines exist.. and have so for a while.

These ones look more shiny though. :D :rolleyes:
And can run OSX and XP. :cool:
And I don't think I'll ever need more than 16 GB of Ram.

Mindset said:
Oh I agree, I wonder how AMD is going to react on it though. What are THEY going to do now? :confused:

Well, they just bought ATI (and apple/intel has immediately stopped using ati gpu's). I think they are going to eat up intel's marketshare in the home desktop/notebook market by getting cozy with dell/hp/etc. The integrated cpu/gpu/chipset money is what AMD is after. They will still have their fast chips to try and hang on the highend, but I think they will make their money on the low-mid level machines.

They will still have their fast chips to try and hang on the highend,

I think AMD's days in the high end are over. With the core 2 out, they have a long way to go to catch up now. The 6400 costs $260, is clocked slower (2.2 ghz) and outperforms the FX-62 (still $900) by about 20% across the board. Now why would any serious gamer/"power" user consider AMD anymore? Intel has switched no a nex gen core, i'm not sure where AMD's nex gen core is. New Xeon chips are also priced to cut into the Optreron market also

altitude909 said:
I think AMD's days in the high end are over. With the core 2 out, they have a long way to go to catch up now. The 6400 costs $260, is clocked slower (2.2 ghz) and outperforms the FX-62 (still $900) by about 20% across the board. Now why would any serious gamer/"power" user consider AMD anymore? Intel has switched no a nex gen core, i'm not sure where AMD's nex gen core is. New Xeon chips are also priced to cut into the Optreron market also

I'm not trying to fan any fanboy flames here. There's no doubt the core 2 is a fantastic chip. However, do not forget that AMD was kicking but all over Intel in the workstation performance arena for at least the past year. Bottom line, the core duo would not exist if it weren't for AMD putting pressure on Intel. AMD is here to stay and they are real competition for Intel -- and that's good for consumers. Competition drives innovation.

If you want to read all about the next-gen AMD chips, here's the scoop:
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2768&p=4

And for the geek-minded, here's a nice article explaning why the core duo is such a badass chip:
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2748

Good point! When there isn't good competition...the market tends to tell the consumers what they want. When there's good strong competition...the manufacturers have to get out of their little boxes and make what the consumers want.

Back