The Everything "EZDrummer" and "Superior Drums" thread.

Hey Greg, were you able to install this EZCocktail thing? Apparently its another kit but I can't get it to install on my computer.

The drum map thing makes it way easier. Anyway, I've got about 40 seconds of drums done in about 1.5 hours. Lol.
lol. talk about a time saver! what DAW are you using? I'll have to look into this drum map thing. MIDI is confusing as crap.

Hey Greg, were you able to install this EZCocktail thing? Apparently its another kit but I can't get it to install on my computer.

lol. talk about a time saver! what DAW are you using? I'll have to look into this drum map thing. MIDI is confusing as crap.

Yeah I got the cocktail kit. It's useless for me. Might as well be bongos or something.

I'm using Reaper. Minerman posted a link with the drum map thing a few pages back.

Playing around again this morning. I think this would go a lot easier if I knew about stuff like notes and beats and measures. I draw in a hit and play it back and it's totally in the wrong spot. Lol.

Playing around again this morning. I think this would go a lot easier if I knew about stuff like notes and beats and measures. I draw in a hit and play it back and it's totally in the wrong spot. Lol.

Probably has a lot to do with the midi editor in Reaper. Never used Reaper so don't know for sure.

Basic lesson in music theory:
1-2-3-4
That is all!!! :D

Probably has a lot to do with the midi editor in Reaper. Never used Reaper so don't know for sure.

Basic lesson in music theory:
1-2-3-4
That is all!!! :D

You just doubled my theory knowledge!

This is why I don't really consider myself a drummer. Sure, I can play okay in certain styles, but it's all by feel and just doing what I want to do. I hear something in my head and make my hands and feet replicate that. I know no drum theory whatsoever and don't even know how to learn any. People tell me "practice your rudiments!". WTF is that gonna do? Make me better at playing rudiments? No thanks.

. People tell me "practice your rudiments!". WTF is that gonna do? Make me better at playing rudiments? No thanks.

No not really. If that was all it did, most of us wouldn't bother. Knowing rudiments is like knowing more words, it increases your vocabulary. If you practice them enough, you start using them in your playing without even thinking about it. For some people, like you, that's not important, which is cool. But for others who don't want every one of their rolls sounding the same all time (not directing that at you, just trying to make a point), it's nice to have those tools. I think it depends on the style of music and what one's priorities are.

No not really. If that was all it did, most of us wouldn't bother. Knowing rudiments is like knowing more words, it increases your vocabulary. If you practice them enough, you start using them in your playing without even thinking about it. For some people, like you, that's not important, which is cool. But for others who don't want every one of their rolls sounding the same all time (not directing that at you, just trying to make a point), it's nice to have those tools. I think it depends on the style of music and what one's priorities are.

Sure, I certainly don't dispute any of that. Way better drummers than me sing the praises of practicing rudiments. I'm just saying for me, I can't make the connection. I don't see how it can apply to me and unless I can see it in action I won't give it much thought. And admittedly I haven't given that practice technique, or any other for that matter, much of an earnest attempt. I just can't stick to it. 90% of the time I'm perfectly satisfied with where I'm at with my skills, and sometimes I wish there was more.

I don't get any Toontrack emails, so either I opped out, or they don't send them. Hasn't been any updates to EZD since I got it. Go to Sweetwater to see all the EZX and Midi pack listings. Some pages have video demos.

I'm perfectly satisfied with where I'm at with my skills, and sometimes I wish there was more.
That's the main thing. Having said what I said about vocabulary, etc....it really isn't that important to know and practice all the rudiments, and for that matter, you do many of them without realizing it. I've heard double-strokes and flams in your drumming, whether you know you're doing them or not.:D

A lot of rudiments and techniques are about as important as knowing how to do a 5-finger hammer-off on guitar. It might have come in handy during a 2 week period in 1983, but it's just a cheesy exercise in acrobatics.

My favorite bands have the simplest drummers. I've never liked a band for the drummer, it's always been the songs and the guitars. I think I was supposed to be a guitar player, because that's always been what made a song cool for me or not, since I was a kid.

As far as being a virtuoso, the so-called "technical" drummers out there generally bore me, even though I can appreciate their talent. I'd rather listen to "Back in Black" or "Machine Head" all the way through than have to endure one Dave Weckl "song".

Same thing with any of these guys like Satriani. Behind the guitar aerobics, there's some really mundane shit going on.

Last edited:
That's the main thing. Having said what I said about vocabulary, etc....it really isn't that important to know and practice all the rudiments, and for that matter, you do many of them without realizing it. I've heard double-strokes and flams in your drumming, whether you know you're doing them or not.:D

A lot of rudiments and techniques are about as important as knowing how to do a 5-finger hammer-on on guitar. It might have come in handy during a 2 week period in 1983, but it's just a cheesy exercise in acrobatics.

My favorite bands have the simplest drummers. I've never liked a band for the drummer, it's always been the songs and the guitars. I think I was supposed to be a guitar player, because that's always been what made a sing cool for me or not, since I was a kid.

As far as being a virtuoso, the so-called "technical" drummers out there generally bore me, even though I can appreciate their talent. I'd rather listen to "Back in Black" or "Machine Head" all the way through than have to endure one Dave Weckl "song".

Same thing with any of these guys like Satriani. Behind the guitar aerobics, there's some really mundane shit going on.

Haha, yeah dude! I agree with all of that 10000000%.

A lot of rudiments and techniques are about as important as knowing how to do a 5-finger hammer-on on guitar.

OK, so with that in mind....speaking to a guitar/keys player who's sat behind a kit and played some real basic beats maybe a dozen times in his life and that was a long time ago...what would be your most simplified steps for learning basic stuff and developing basic timing skills for doing simple 4/4, Kick/Snare/Kick-Kick/Snare kind of Rock/Pop beats....with the occasional roll/fill for accents....??? :)

My go-to drummer is getting harder to schedule for recording sessions since he's playing out a lot more these days, and when he's not he's kinda flakey...so I have this nice kit in my studio that is just sitting there, and lately I've been using some canned beats just so I can lay down tracks and work on songs, with the idea that eventually I will get him (or some drummer) to come in and track the drums....but then I sure wouldn't mind doing some of the basic drumming myself if I could get to a point where playing them would feel comfortable and not awkward.
I've wanted to get behind the kit a few times already...but to make matters worse, my go-to drummer is a lefty, so any time I think about playing the kit, I realize that I would have to reconfigure it...and then I think he might be over some day soon....so I just leave it alone.

I don't mind using the EZD and SD stuff to work on songs, and way back I use to program MIDI drums all the time when I had no kit or anyone to play it, so it's not a whole lot of work to get a pretty decent drum track worked out...but I would very much like to track a kit, even if it means playing it myself doing the most basic beats and forgoing fancy fills and beats. Just holding a tight beat and having a decent sounding kit is all I would need for most stuff...but I have no idea how best to get going on that without getting into complicated/drawn out "drum lessons" as if I was a young kid just starting out...etc.

Oh...and I agree on the whole technical aerobics stuff. I'm amazed by guys like Satriani and Vai for a couple of songs, but after that I usually move on.

OK, so with that in mind....speaking to a guitar/keys player who's sat behind a kit and played some real basic beats maybe a dozen times in his life and that was a long time ago...what would be your most simplified steps for learning basic stuff and developing basic timing skills for doing simple 4/4, Kick/Snare/Kick-Kick/Snare kind of Rock/Pop beats....with the occasional roll/fill for accents....??? :).
It's tough to say without hearing you play, but if you can keep a steady beat, with the hi-hats playing 8th notes, your kik on 1 & 3, snare on 2 & 4, you're a good part of the way there. I think the best thing to do is find songs in the styles you think you might want to learn and see how the snare and kik interact to form the beat. Take a few basic ones that you think will give you a bit of trouble and get them down. Eventually, the hard ones will be the easy ones, and the really hard ones will only take a bit more work.

Wish I could help more than that, but without being right there with you, it's hard to be more specific.

Back when I did get behind a kit a bunch of times...I was able to do only the basic snare/kick/hh thing (though I honestly never tried to go further, it was more of a fun/goofing around thing).

It's been so long since I tried to play even a fundamental beat...I guess what I am asking (since you were talking about rudiments)...is there a simple/basic set of steps just to get back into it that would help hone those fundamental snare/kick/hh mechanics...?
Sure, I can just put on some music and pound away over and over, but I was looking for something that might be a bit more technique & exercise focused...without getting into a major learning program that would be geared toward a more formal and longterm drumming education.

I think my biggest issue is the fact that the damn kit has been set up lefty f-o-r-e-v-e-r, but then my drummer was available more often in the past, so it made sense to leave it that way.
I think if I tear down the kit to a basic 4-5 piece and set it up for my arms/legs, I should be able to get into it....just been too lazy.

The one rudiment that has totally payed off for me a gillion times is the paradiddle. If there was only ONE thing that I'd recommend somebody practice, it'd be that because it's so versatile and can be played all over the kit.

That said, after playing music for 19 years, I still only know two scales on the guitar/bass and 1.5 between the clarinet, trombone and flute combined and yet I still get work playing those instruments, so either there's no competition in this city, or some of that technical stuff is overrated.

Back to EZD, for a minute: I've decided that I'm going to buy a secondhand Rock Band drum thing and just use that to trigger these samples because THIS SHIT IS ANNOYING AS HELL. Greg apparently has WAY more patience than I do with writing in all this MIDI crap. I can't stand it one bit.

Greg apparently has WAY more patience than I do with writing in all this MIDI crap.

Lol. No he doesn't. This shit is asinine.

I'm giving it a chance though. I'm using it on a song demo and it's okay, but it's definitely taking a long time. It's a pain in the ass overall. What I am liking it for though is I can come up with drum patterns in the box instead of trying a bunch of shit out on the kit first. As I fuck with it, I'm thinking "this would be cool here". I start drawing it in and 5 hours later I have a drum fill! Lol. Now when I go to track the drums for real, I'll already know what I'm gonna do and where based off the ez drummer guide track. We'll see how it works out.

I guess what I am asking (since you were talking about rudiments)...is there a simple/basic set of steps just to get back into it that would help hone those fundamental snare/kick/hh mechanics.
Well, like I said, without being there with you, it's hard to give you specific stuff to practice, and I'm not going to start writing out beats. Just like I'm sure it would be pretty hard for you to help me here if I asked "I can sort of play guitar. What should I practice?". You'd probably say it's hard to help specifically but practice your chords, changing chords, learn a blues scale and listen to songs while trying to figure out what the guitar player's doing.

I'm sure Youtube has a million beginner drum videos.

Well, like I said, without being there with you, it's hard to give you specific stuff to practice....

I'm sure Youtube has a million beginner drum videos.

Yeah... I know. I wasn't really expecting a lesson in a thread post. :D

I need to flip the kit aorund for my use...and yeah, take a look at some vids, as I do well when I can see what someone is doing rather than have them draw charts and talk about it.

Yeah I'm not reading the last 5 pages.

But if anyone is liking EZD and wanting a better EZX than the default kit (which sounds like ass in my opinion).

Both of these libraries sound pretty good even if your not into metal or country:

EZX nashville
EZX Metal Machine

I recently ordered the Nashville, Americana and Latin drum packs (still waiting to get them). Found them on Amazon for like $37-$38 each/free shipping.
I didn't care much for most of the others. The Classic, Rock and Vintage Rock all sounded awful to me.

Between these packs and the default kit options, I think there's enough there to get a few decent kit setups that will work quite well. I find that when just auditioning the kits, they don't sound as good as when you hear them with some other tracks. It's like listening to some guy on Saturday afternoon auditioning amps at GC. :D

AFA the MIDI and programming....the available EZD grooves/fills are a decent starting point, so you don't need to do note-by-note stuff, and there are all kinds of MIDI grooves you can get on the web for free, so you can build a drum track pretty easy. Then it's a question of tweaking some of the sounds and randomizing some of the velocities so it doesn't sound robot-like.

Back