The Everything "EZDrummer" and "Superior Drums" thread.

Yes....

It's a neat gimmick I'd never use. I don't ever use a guitars volume or tone knob and I don't ever throw off the snare wires.

That's what I thought. I always hear that with Rami's drums. Not much snare wire in the snare. Maybe because of the way he mics it, but I only ever hear snare body with his drums and not the rattle of the snares. A very distinctive sound. And of course, it fits his music perfectly.

your stuff needs snares!!! :D

So is the crossgrade from EZ to Superior worth $99?

Sweetwater is running that special right now too.

Seems like if you made both plays you could get Superior for $129.

I always hear that with Rami's drums. Not much snare wire in the snare. Maybe because of the way he mics it, but I only ever hear snare body with his drums and not the rattle of the snares. A very distinctive sound. And of course, it fits his music perfectly.

Thanx Chili. Yeah, I like get that pop out of my snare. But also, it might not seem like there's a lot of the wires in my sound, but if I flipped off the snares, you'd notice a big difference. It would sound way different, more like a timbale. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
So is the crossgrade from EZ to Superior worth $99?

Sweetwater is running that special right now too.

Seems like if you made both plays you could get Superior for $129.

Yes. So much yes.

You can still run EZ drummer kits in superior. There is so much more flexibility in superior though and the stock avatar kit sounds great (IMO of course).

That's why I always use huge snare wire sets with my deep snares. Deep snares are naturally less sensitive and the mongo snare sets help bring back some snap and sensitivity. Not that I need much sensitivity with my caveman style, but it's nice to have, and the snap with a deep snare makes rim shots sound gigantic. IMO any snare deeper than 5.5 inches would benefit from a wider snare set. My 5.5" snare does fine with a 20-strand, but my 6+" snares get 30 or 40 strands.

So I bought EZD and installed it... and is it just me, or are these the cheesiest-sounding drums ever? And the "grooves" are HORRIBLE!

Granted, I've only spent maybe 15 mins checking it out but after having spent a good 45 mins trying to install the thing, I had hoped it'd be more impressive than it is.

So I bought EZD and installed it... and is it just me, or are these the cheesiest-sounding drums ever? And the "grooves" are HORRIBLE!

Granted, I've only spent maybe 15 mins checking it out but after having spent a good 45 mins trying to install the thing, I had hoped it'd be more impressive than it is.

I'm inclined to agree with you, but I think you need to add the good drum packs or something.

ez drummer takes so long to use I aint got 15 minutes to spare.

lol. this is both hilarious and true. i think that if I shelled out and bought another drum pack, plus an electronic drumkit to trigger the sounds with, it'd be decent. FOr now, I'm just annoyed.

re: other MIDI "instruments"...

This one really sounds cool, and they just added an upright piano version. The MIDI clips sounds good too. Do a search on Youtube there are some great vids of this sw in use.

Toontrack EZ Keys | Sweetwater.com

XLN just came out with a Keys set too and if the drum package is any indication, it should be better than the Toontrack offering.

XLN Audio - Addictive Keys

...not that I can do much more than pads on a keyboard, mind you.

Not a real one anyway. The EZD one definitely smells assy to me. :)

I'm not a big fan of a room mic either. Of course, I don't have a room worthy of finding much there either. Usually assy. My word of the day, assy.

I've used my front entryway as a "room" before. It's okay. Real big sounding. But I just don't like roomy anything, so even though it's easy to pull off for me, I don't do it. I put my guitar cab out there sometimes though when I'm tracking loud and don't want the feedback.

Okay back to sleazy drummer.....I'm watching MNF and making a drum track for a song idea - which was my original intention with this nonsense. So far so good. It sounds like poopoo but I'm making the patterns the way I want them to be instead of just sticking with the stock "grooves". Man I hate that word. The drum map thing makes it way easier. Anyway, I've got about 40 seconds of drums done in about 1.5 hours. Lol.

Back