The EV PL80 is back

hairylarry

Hi,

In the Musician's Friend flyer they devote a page to the new EV PL series and they are all moderately priced.

From the old PL series it looks like only the PL80 survives as PL80a in black and PL80c with the classic finish (kind of a grey green).

I used to use a PL80 as my main vocals mic live. Larry Donn was playing one day and he was singing through a PL80. I said "I sing through that mic". He said, "I bought it from Merle Travis' wife after he passed on." So Merle used to use a PL80.

Crystal Gayle was the celebrity promoter when the PL80 came out. I have read that Frank Sinatra preferred the PL80 for his stage mic.

Needless to say we are talking about a very high quality vocals mic. And one that can be had used cheap. I gave mine to my son so I bought another on ebay for $22.53. So it definitely wins in the best vocals mic under $25 category.

I don't know what the new PL80s will do to the used prices. And Musicians Friend says the new models are inspired by the original so I don't know if they're as good or maybe the same.

Here's the state of my vintage PL series mic collection now with important financial data included.

1 - EV PL6 dynamic cardiod $59 (2007)
1 - EV PL76a condenser cardiod AA battery $37.79
1 - EV PL76b condenser cardiod AA battery *
1 - EV PL80 dynamic supercardiod $22.53 (2007)
1 - EV PL9 $51.71 (2007)
1 - EV PL95A dynamic cardiod $42.20
1 - EV 1776 condenser cardiod 4.5 V battery *

I include the 1776 which I think is the same mic as the PL76. EV used to modify these mics for phantom power but they don't anymore. They do however make the instructions available if you want to mod them yourself. The 4.5 volt batteries are hard to get but you can use two N cells instead.

There is also a PL4 lav mic which I want to get and a PL5 omni which is the same as the 635a except for color.

The new mics are divided into vocals mics and drums mics. The PL80 is the most expensive at $149. The PL24 is obviously competing with the SM58. The PL84 is a condenser vocals mic for $139.

On the drums side the PL33 is a $119 Kick mic. This is interesting from a company that knows how to build kick mics. What I am wondering about the PL33 is if it's a general purpose mic like the RE20 or the ATM25 or is it custom tailored to kick like the AKG D112 or the Superlux FU-2?

After I sent my son my PL80 he recorded these tracks on his Boss digital multitracker playing lapsteel and singing. He recorded everything through the PL80.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

Last edited:
Regarding the PL-33: EV refers to it as "Professional grade". Not something a company with EV's reputation would do without cause. (I mean they're not Behringer) This could be an interesting low cost alternative.

Pl33

Hi,

The reason the PL33 is so interesting is that it's hard to buy a good kick mic under $100 used. And here's a new one for $119. And it's an EV, manufacturer of the RE20 and many other fine mics.

The article in Musician's Friend wasn't a review. It was written by Rick Belt, Electro-Voice Mics Product Manager. So it's sales hype. But he does say.

"Designed for kick drum, floor toms, and low frequency instruments ... "

Which leads me to believe that it might be a general purpose, low frequency speciality mic, which could be used on horns, bass cabs, etc. as well as drums.

In fact the whole line is interesting. Ranging in price from $79 to $149 puts them at the affordable end of professional mics. They are priced and promoted to the live performance market. I imagine many of them will go into churches and other turnkey PA installations.

I'm completely happy with my ATM25 and my vintage PL80. So I'm not about to rush out and buy one myself. I guess I'll just have to purview the data sheets and wait for the real poop to come down the pike.

But they are certainly interesting.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

Well, I am in the market for a dedicated kick mic. I've been using whatever stage type dynamics that I have laying around. (57's, 835's, etc. with an Earthworks kickpad) The PL33 bears a strong family resemblance to the N/D868. While the N/D868 isn't as well known as the Beta 52 and AKG D112, it is highly regarded in some circles.

PL33 and PL80

Well, I am in the market for a dedicated kick mic. I've been using whatever stage type dynamics that I have laying around. (57's, 835's, etc. with an Earthworks kickpad) The PL33 bears a strong family resemblance to the N/D868. While the N/D868 isn't as well known as the Beta 52 and AKG D112, it is highly regarded in some circles.

According to the specs on the EV site the PL33 is dialed in for kick. So maybe more like an AKG D112 or an N/D868 than an RE20.

The new PL80 looks just like the vintage PL80 but the specs are different. So it is not the same mic as the original. How close the actual sound is to the original remains to be seen.

The link to the spec sheets for the vintage PL series mics is here.

http://archives.telex.com/archives/EV/Microphones/EDS/

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

anybody have any info on the pl78. I bought one at a yard sale for 5 bucks and its sounds decent but a bit noisey. Anybody else have or tried one?

Back