The End of Guitar Center - America and the Big Corporate Empire,.. good article......

the info came from wiki, where is it wrong? Please explain why Europeans come to the states with empty suitcases to fill up with crap. (not so much now that their own countries charge them the VAT when they go though customs upon return)

You haven't said where I was wrong.

OK, As we are outside the cave I shall do what I normally do when I read something from some one that is completely clueless and passing their long winded posts off as some kind of informed fact.

That is..

First reply... lol...

second reply...ask them to stop cos they are embarrassing themselves.

Third reply... rip them a new one.

Your first post is so full of shite it is hard to know where to begin so I will begin where you did. At the start of your post..

I lived in Europe for about a year (Germany to be specific) and it gave me some insight into how things work in another country that you can't get by just visiting. Because you have to shop at stores, you have general needs that can't be placed in a suitcase and brought with you for 7 days.

Everyone shops at stores. A spermarket is a store. Some of the most successful supermarkets in the world right now are German born and owned. They open pretty much 7 -11.

Germany as well as most of the rest of Europe has blue laws. This insures that Mom and Pop can compete with any big box retailer.

This is just idiotic and sadly too often the obvious position of Americans on anything outside their own world view and one of the reasons the rest of the world take the piss out of the American understanding of geopolitical and geographical understanding. No where near all Americans are as dumb as you but sadly it seems the ones that speak on the subject are.

Germany is one country. Europe consist of 50 countries none of which are the same often not even similar. The United states has around the same number of states are they all the same? Saying Germany is representative of Europe is like saying that New York is representative of Bolivia. Both are of course part of the Americas aren't they..?

Blue laws are an American invention not a European one. Many countries in Europe do not have blue laws. Blue laws are enforced on religious grounds. Shop opening times in Germany are enforced to protect workers, not God. Also they are no where near as strict as you outline. Nor are they here in the UK.

Blue laws are far more prevalent in the US than anywhere in Europe.

Here is how its done (and I am NOT advocating it. I hated it.)

Stores are only open from 9am until 4:30pm. Monday to Friday, and open to 6pm on Wednesday.
Stores are only open from 9am until Noon on Saturday, and once a month 9am until 4:30 on Saturday.

Not true. When I visit my cousin in Switzerland she will climb into her car and drive 20 miles to Germany to shop at the superstore and fill up with pretty much everything she needs for her and her family for the duration. She does this on a Sunday often when the kids are in bed. She does it because it is cheaper and the range of products is greater.

When I am in Germany buying timber I can shop pretty much anywhere anytime I want and at a time to suit me. I am there probably twice a year and do business with several large German suppliers. I also source in several of the neighboring countries in the region and the same applies.

One Drug store is "Open" per district/area one night a week until late. You would have to go to the local drugstore and look on the closed door for the hours of which one in your area was open late . (this was pre internet days). Then take the metro rail, walk, or drive to that drug store.

Again not true. In smaller towns they operate a Pharmacy rota simply to save every chemist from opening 24 -7. It is an agreement between Pharmacies and surgeries and is done to comply with licenses granted to sell pharmaceutical drugs and products. Similar licences are required throughout the US are they not?. Here in the UK they can apply collectively if they wish to. There is nothing stopping a pharmacy from applying on it's own to open as long as it wants to should they wish to do so... However should you need a Pharmacy you can always drop in to the nearest supermarket as most of the larger ones have them and they are open normally 8am - 11pm

Restaurants were open late, I don't remember the hours. Basically Mom and Pop only have to work about 50 hours a week and the most, then go upstairs to their apt. (downstairs is the business).

Not true. Restaurants can open 24 hours a day if they wish. They can not serve alcohol 24 hours a day. They need to apply for a license to sell alcohol and state at what times and hours they are likely to do so. There are no "dry states" in Germany. Or Europe that I know of..

Most restauranteurs and bar owners work a fuck of a lot longer than 50 hours a week. No where near all of them live on site.

There is no pull your SUV into the parking lot and load up for the week. There is no parking lot. You take the metrorail (Strassenbonn) to the stop near the market, there is no real parking lot in those areas, so owning a car to shop doesn't help. you buy your food, etc, and whatever you can carry in your hands (3 or 4 bags) back to the metro rail and back to your home is what you buy. So you have to shop about every 3 days.

Complete bollox. To categorize Germany and Europe in this way is just totally ignorant. See my responses above.

Just for the record I went out last night at 9pm to do the family shop. I drove in my car and bought all we need except for perishables for a month. I went to a supermarket. There are 5 within a 3 mile radius. I live in Europe.

If you want to build a house, business, etc. You can only build it on the same size footprint as the current/previous house. If its farmland, it remains farmland, no sprawl. None. Which made driving from village to village odd, because it was like you punch though a virtual city wall and hit farmland with nothing separating it.

Rubbish. This is not true in Germany and it is certainly not true all over Europe and definitely not true here in the UK. Just like in the US if you want to build a house or business you need to seek planning permission, submit plans, lobby local residents, comply with the terms of the permission and regs. These are laid down both nationally and locally. I assume it is similar in the USA, at least I hope it is for the sake of those that live near or in those buildings or work in them.

So this is how the government keeps a Walmart out of an area.

Walmart can't build a 130,000 square foot building without building on the site of a former 130K SQFT. Building.
Walmart has to close at 4:30 like everybody else., etc.

Rubbish. Germany is one of 4 countries worldwide that does not have a Walmart presence. Walmart attempted to enter the German market but closed their operations there in 2006 and not because it could not build out of town shopping outlets. The German people simply did not shop there.

Walmart has a presence in almost all other European countries other than Russia.

Again, as a Consumer it sucked because you pay FULL RETAIL, and I mean FULL Retail which also pays for all that "Free" health care.
The lowliest McDonald's worker, Maid, etc. Pays 35 Percent in income tax, and it goes up to 80% for higher income earners.

You pay what supply and demand will allow. That is how it works where you are too. There are many many cut price chains in Germany. Currently they are expanding across Europe.

Health care in Germany and most of the other countries in Europe that operates a free at the point of access health care system is funded from general taxation and salary Insurance contribution. It has nothing to do with VAT.

However whilst we are on the subject of VAT. Those countries in Europe that apply it do so at a rate that is set by them. It varies from country to country. Many items are exempt including the majority of food items. More broadly as a business you are VAT registered and until you turnover a specific amount you are exempt as a trader on much of the consumable products you use and services you buy or sell.

Finally most studies on personal taxation have shown that Americans are amongst the highest taxed in the world. Who wants to live there?

They also have a 17.5 VAT. (value added tax, that is passed on and accumulated for each leg of the supply chain)

So this is how that works. A mining company mines iron ore and sells it to the steel mill Plus 17.5%, The steel mill smelts it and sells the steel to Mercedes plus another 17.5%, Mercedes sells you the car, plus 17.5%. That's what I mean by FULL Retail.

So, anybody want to move to Europe??? :eek:

No it is not how it works. You ignorance is totally astounding. Well done.

the info came from wiki, where is it wrong? Please explain why Europeans come to the states with empty suitcases to fill up with crap. (not so much now that their own countries charge them the VAT when they go though customs upon return)

You haven't said where I was wrong.

Three things..

1..They don't.

2..You do not pay VAT on goods you bring into the country for personal use. In fact if it is outside of the EU they are "duty free"

3..You are an idiot.

OK, As we are outside the cave I shall do what I normally do when I read something from some one that is completely clueless and passing their long winded posts off as some kind of informed fact.

That is..

First reply... lol...

second reply...ask them to stop cos they are embarrassing themselves.

Third reply... rip them a new one.

Your first post is so full of shite it is hard to know where to begin so I will begin where you did. At the start of your post..

Everyone shops at stores. A spermarket is a store. Some of the most successful supermarkets in the world right now are German born and owned. They open pretty much 7 -11.

This is just idiotic and sadly too often the obvious position of Americans on anything outside their own world view and one of the reasons the rest of the world take the piss out of the American understanding of geopolitical and geographical understanding. No where near all Americans are as dumb as you but sadly it seems the ones that speak on the subject are.

Germany is one country. Europe consist of 50 countries none of which are the same often not even similar. The United states has around the same number of states are they all the same? Saying Germany is representative of Europe is like saying that New York is representative of Bolivia. Both are of course part of the Americas aren't they..?

Blue laws are an American invention not a European one. Many countries in Europe do not have blue laws. Blue laws are enforced on religious grounds. Shop opening times in Germany are enforced to protect workers, not God. Also they are no where near as strict as you outline. Nor are they here in the UK.

Blue laws are far more prevalent in the US than anywhere in Europe.

Not true. When I visit my cousin in Switzerland she will climb into her car and drive 20 miles to Germany to shop at the superstore and fill up with pretty much everything she needs for her and her family for the duration. She does this on a Sunday often when the kids are in bed. She does it because it is cheaper and the range of products is greater.

When I am in Germany buying timber I can shop pretty much anywhere anytime I want and at a time to suit me. I am there probably twice a year and do business with several large German suppliers. I also source in several of the neighboring countries in the region and the same applies.

Again not true. In smaller towns they operate a Pharmacy rota simply to save every chemist from opening 24 -7. It is an agreement between Pharmacies and surgeries and is done to comply with licenses granted to sell pharmaceutical drugs and products. Similar licences are required throughout the US are they not?. Here in the UK they can apply collectively if they wish to. There is nothing stopping a pharmacy from applying on it's own to open as long as it wants to should they wish to do so... However should you need a Pharmacy you can always drop in to the nearest supermarket as most of the larger ones have them and they are open normally 8am - 11pm

Not true. Restaurants can open 24 hours a day if they wish. They can not serve alcohol 24 hours a day. They need to apply for a license to sell alcohol and state at what times and hours they are likely to do so. There are no "dry states" in Germany. Or Europe that I know of..

Most restauranteurs and bar owners work a fuck of a lot longer than 50 hours a week. No where near all of them live on site.

Complete bollox. To categorize Germany and Europe in this way is just totally ignorant. See my responses above.

Just for the record I went out last night at 9pm to do the family shop. I drove in my car and bought all we need except for perishables for a month. I went to a supermarket. There are 5 within a 3 mile radius. I live in Europe.

Rubbish. This is not true in Germany and it is certainly not true all over Europe and definitely not true here in the UK. Just like in the US if you want to build a house or business you need to seek planning permission, submit plans, lobby local residents, comply with the terms of the permission and regs. These are laid down both nationally and locally. I assume it is similar in the USA, at least I hope it is for the sake of those that live near or in those buildings or work in them.

Rubbish. Germany is one of 4 countries worldwide that does not have a Walmart presence. Walmart attempted to enter the German market but closed their operations there in 2006 and not because it could not build out of town shopping outlets. The German people simply did not shop there.

Walmart has a presence in almost all other European countries other than Russia.

You pay what supply and demand will allow. That is how it works where you are too. There are many many cut price chains in Germany. Currently they are expanding across Europe.

Health care in Germany and most of the other countries in Europe that operates a free at the point of access health care system is funded from general taxation and salary Insurance contribution. It has nothing to do with VAT.

However whilst we are on the subject of VAT. Those countries in Europe that apply it do so at a rate that is set by them. It varies from country to country. Many items are exempt including the majority of food items. More broadly as a business you are VAT registered and until you turnover a specific amount you are exempt as a trader on much of the consumable products you use and services you buy or sell.

Finally most studies on personal taxation have shown that Americans are amongst the highest taxed in the world. Who wants to live there?

No it is not how it works. You ignorance is totally astounding. Well done.

Well, thank you for your response. This is how it worked in 1992 in Germany when I lived there before the EU. I don't know if you were even born then. I'm glad you have become more Americanized and seen the light. Inside every euroweeine is an american trying to break out.. :D

that was the way it was explained to me, but please correct me if I'm in error.

With a 10% VAT:
The manufacturer spends ($1 + ($1 × 10%)) = $1.10 for the raw materials, and the seller of the raw materials pays the government $0.10.
The manufacturer charges the retailer ($1.20 + ($1.20 × 10%)) = $1.32 and pays the government ($0.12 minus $0.10) = $0.02, leaving the same gross margin of ($1.32 – $1.10 – $0.02) = $0.20.

The retailer charges the consumer ($1.50 + ($1.50 × 10%)) = $1.65 and pays the government ($0.15 minus $0.12) = $0.03, leaving the same gross margin of ($1.65 – $1.32 – $0.03) = $0.30.
The manufacturer and retailer realize less gross margin from a percentage perspective.
Note that the taxes paid by both the manufacturer and the retailer to the government are 10% of the values added by their respective business practices (e.g. the value added by the manufacturer is $1.20 minus $1.00, thus the tax payable by the manufacturer is ($1.20 – $1.00) × 10% = $0.02).

Value-added tax - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is from Wiki, granted, I'm an american, and publicly educated so I'm too stupid to get the math, Its complicated and boring which may be part of the plan so the population doesn't know how bad they are being screwed and assumes everyplace is just as screwed up as they are (like they do in the DPRK).

Well, thank you for your response. This is how it worked in 1992 in Germany when I lived there before the EU. I don't know if you were even born then. I'm glad you have become more Americanized and seen the light. Inside every euroweeine is an american trying to break out.. :D

....:facepalm:

Pretty much everything I stated was case in 1992. The EU is and was essentially the "European Common Market", the change in name was just rebranding.

Also why would anyone in Europe want to live in America when you all don't have electricity for more than a few hours a day and poor sanitation? At least that was the case when I was in Peru in 1999....:laughings:

You're an idiot.

This is from Wiki, granted, I'm an american, and publicly educated so I'm too stupid to get the math, Its complicated and boring which may be part of the plan so the population doesn't know how bad they are being screwed and assumes everyplace is just as screwed up as they are (like they do in the DPRK).

It may come as a surprise to you as an American but mostly European business's don't use Wikipedia as their source of information on Taxation law... In fact mostly people dont use it as a source of accurate information on anything. By definition any idiot such as you can make statements there.

I have to admit, this is my favorite one. The VAT (Value added Tax) has nothing to do with general taxation? What? you just take all the collected from the VAT "Euros" and set them on fire once a year? I mean because you guys sure don't spend it on your national defense. Thats our job.. :laughings:

I have to admit, this is my favorite one. The VAT (Value added Tax) has nothing to do with general taxation? What? you just take all the collected from the VAT "Euros" and set them on fire once a year? I mean because you guys sure don't spend it on your national defense. Thats our job.. :laughings:

Money from personal taxation is ring fenced for health and education. It is topped up from national insurance contributions. The VAT Office is separate to the Customs and excise office.

As to your great big army... Hows that been going for you lately? Won anything you started?............. I agree it sure does seem to be a lot of money to pay so you can keep on running away with your tail on fire...:laughings:

I think its because they have to live with it.. :D

Live with what though? I don't even understand how this stupid us vs them internet slap-fight even started. Their system works for them. Their system won't work for us. It's two different worlds. It's not anything to get mad over.

Live with what though? I don't even understand how this stupid us vs them internet slap-fight even started. Their system works for them. Their system won't work for us. It's two different worlds. It's not anything to get mad over.

It started cos I lol at the twat and then told him he was embarrassing himself... It aint hard to tease the idiocy out of some people.. You know this.:)

He's slipped right into jingoistic dumb hick in less than a page and a few short posts. My work is done...:thumbs up:

It started cos I lol at the twat and then told him he was embarrassing himself... It aint hard to tease the idiocy out of some people.. You know this.:)

Lol, right, but it goes both ways. You went full limey jihad because he maybe said something wrong? Lol. I didn't see it as an attack on europe. Maybe I missed that part.

Lol, right, but it goes both ways. You went full limey jihad because he maybe said something wrong? Lol. I didn't see it as an attack on europe. Maybe I missed that part.

Not really. Set em up, sit back... It's my usual MO. You've seen it before.... Why are you so surprised. I love ridiculing idiots. It's pretty much the only thing this site has to offer these days..

jingoistic dumb hick here.

It was a slap at Europe. See had I said something like "Woo is us, poor dumb hick Yanks, If we only hadn't have had that little disagreement back in 1776, well we too could be shitting on a shelf and washing it off when we flush, we too could be paying 4 out of every 5 quid to the crown and loving it, we too could go all hooligan at a soccer (I mean football) match on the continent and be back to our place of unemployment on Monday, etc."

But I didn't. I said what I lived though and taken as a whole I chose to live elsewhere other than the land of enchantment. ;) Which they took that as an insult.

Not really. Set em up, sit back... It's my usual MO. You've seen it before.... Why are you so surprised. I love ridiculing idiots. It's pretty much the only thing this site has to offer these days..

You're right, I shouldn't be surprised. You always lose your shit when you think someone has slighted mother europe. That's what I'm most lol'ing at. I don't understand why you let your hatred of america make you so crazy! :D

Back