The Decline of Nowhereradio

I agree with mixmkr. In addition, I think I'd pan the ingratitude right out of the stereo field.

Or "up" his fees! Yeah!!!!

Say Waldo, doesn't it get a little warm in that room too?

And don't apologize. I wasn't offended, I just thought we needed
a ref. And I'm so good at it. Right, Groucho? Pal? Hello? Operator!

TheRealWaldo said:

Sorry if I went overboard, I take issues of respect pretty seriously.

W.

Okay, I take it back - we *are* on the playground.

Well Waldo, since it's obviously very important that I show "respect" to you, fine: if by some chance there is a "next time", I will PM you. I can't guarantee I will never utter the name "Nowhereradio" when not in your presence - you'll just have to take the chance.

To the rest of you - I was attempting to do you a service by alerting you to the spyware. I have a very "spyware-proof" system, but some of you may not, and this stuff is very annoying and can be very difficult to get rid of once you get it.

As far as the idea that I (or anyone) owe Waldo some kind of "gratitude" for his BUSINESS... that's beyond my ability to take seriously. I DO appreciate that he has responded to the problem. If you'll re-read this thread you'll see I am not the only one to have experienced the spyware - Waldo himself said it had been a problem in the past.

Go back to your dodgeball game kids, nothing to see here...
Chris

Alright, I'm in.

You're talking to him like he's a corrupt insurance company or something. I mean..."The Decline of NWR?" You just came out swinging like an asshole. You were not looking to do anyone a favor. You were looking to start shit.

Go back to your dodgeball game kids, nothing to see here...
And now you're insulting the rest of us. You're being a dick and there's no need of it. Waldo explains himself and you come back swinging twice as hard. Get a friggin grip dude. And don't you dare condescend the rest of us here just because you're on a crusade against spyware. Mistakes happen and Waldo is trying to make good on it. Back off. You're being paranoid. Maybe you should just stop using the internet altogether before something TERRIBLE happens.

I was definately spyware clean when it happened to me. I say this coming off a fresh OS install out in the studio. The only places I went was here and NWR. I was prompted to install a Gator component. I don't remember where I was at on NWR when it happened. This is however the first time it has happpened to me.

I actually had it come up on me too. But that's no reason to start taking shots at Waldo. I'm sure he didn't mean for it to happen. He knows his reputation is at stake.

groucho said:
To the rest of you - I was attempting to do you a service by alerting you to the spyware. I have a very "spyware-proof" system, but some of you may not, and this stuff is very annoying and can be very difficult to get rid of once you get it.

Frankly, Chris, I don't need your "service". I've never had a problem with spyware. You wouldn't either if you were running a Mac with OS9. As long as you run Windows, or any UNIX based OS your going to be vulnerable to this kind of shit. It has nothing to do with NoWhere or Waldo. It has everything to do with M$ security holes, and people who like to exploit them for whatever reasons wether it's to gather data or just wreak havoc. If you're on broadband perhaps you should consider getting a router with a good firewall for better security.

Don't be an ass.:mad:

Chris:
Granted, you were pissed, but what if someone posted a thread called "The Decline of Chris Cefalu" and encouraged people not to listen to your tunes? Wouldn't that cause you some irritation? C'mon!

Nice tunes, by the way.

Everyone else:
I LOVE DODGEBALL! Let's play!
:D

M.Brane said:
Frankly, Chris, I don't need your "service". I've never had a problem with spyware. You wouldn't either if you were running a Mac with OS9. As long as you run Windows, or any UNIX based OS your going to be vulnerable to this kind of shit. It has nothing to do with NoWhere or Waldo. It has everything to do with M$ security holes, and people who like to exploit them for whatever reasons wether it's to gather data or just wreak havoc. If you're on broadband perhaps you should consider getting a router with a good firewall for better security.

Don't be an ass.:mad:

Oh geez! Here come the anti-PC folks! ;)

"My Ford's faster'n yur Chevy!"

SLuiCe said:
Alright, I'm in.

You're talking to him like he's a corrupt insurance company or something. I mean..."The Decline of NWR?" You just came out swinging like an asshole. You were not looking to do anyone a favor. You were looking to start shit.

And now you're insulting the rest of us. You're being a dick and there's no need of it. Waldo explains himself and you come back swinging twice as hard. Get a friggin grip dude. And don't you dare condescend the rest of us here just because you're on a crusade against spyware. Mistakes happen and Waldo is trying to make good on it. Back off. You're being paranoid. Maybe you should just stop using the internet altogether before something TERRIBLE happens.

Let me confirm a few things so that there is no confusion:

1) Yes, I was pissed when I made the 1st post.

2) Yes, I HATE spyware and sites that host it.

3) Yes, I am firewalled, protected, 100% virus free - I was not INFECTED by spyware while visiting Nowhere.

4) Yes, PCs are way more at risk than Macs. It's life and it sucks. But so do Macs.:D

5) Yes, I did start this thread partly because I was pissed, partly because I was hoping Waldo would appear (as he did) and assure me that this wasn't policy at Nowhere, and partly because I think the veneration accorded Nowhereradio around here (& the denigration of ANY other site) is absurd, and I thought people should be aware of the spyware issue.

6) Yes, I, in retrospect, would have worded things a little less confrontationally.

7) Yes, I think Waldo could ALSO have worded things a little differently.

8) Yes, I think many of you who responded either didn't read my previous posts or are simply fools.

9) Yes, I've probably been in front of the computer way too long this week (got the flu).

I can't think of #10. But let's just say that the problem was addressed, discussed and resolved (I haven't noticed any spyware the couple of times I've been on Nowhere the last hour or so).

If you want to insult me for daring to criticize Noble Sir Waldo, go ahead and continue. Oh: and fuck you.

Chris

Back