The Decline of Nowhereradio

groucho

Okay - now about half the time I go there I get the infamous "do you want to download the GATOR spyware componants" message. And today when I went to someone's music page, I got about 20 pop-ups and had my homepage reset.

My patience with this shit is at an end. And so are the days when I recommend Nowhereradio to people. One thing I'll say about mp3.com and all the other crappy music sites - they DON'T host spyware.

I'm willing to be persuaded that this was somehow a fluke, but it's happened many more times than once, and it's pretty disappointing for what was once the best place to upload your music.

Chris

well, for what it's worth, mp3.com is being bought out, and seems that it won't be an option anymore for free song posting.

I got the Gator shit from there yesterday. It's the first time it happened to me but I have heard others talk about it.

That was a problem awhile back and it's very nasty if you accidentally install it. It was gone but appears to be back. Email Waldo if you haven't already. He may not know about it.

Yeah, in defense of Waldo, I think it's the ads that are doing it..... Rather than him actually writing it into the site.......Although I may be wrong.

This happened before and he gave the offending advertiser shit for it, or something like that.

Joe

Well, it would certainly be cool to know it wasn't a choice Waldo deliberately made - does seem a bit out of line with his general philosophy, what I can glean of it. Anyways, I'll e-mail him a heads-up if he doesn't chime in here. But he has an uncanny way of popping up whenever a thread mentions Nowhere...

Chris

There are ... certain ... programs which one installs that integrate with the browser.

And when certain ads are displayed ... THAT program that is resident on your computer, connect to 'gator' and pops up the prompt for install of the Active X control.

Those are some of the issues that recent MS security patches have attempted to address.

Waldo has little control over something that YOU already have installed on your machine which is simply responding to what it sees while you browse.

I don't see any code, or for that matter, any openings in the nowhereradio.com page code for an advertiser to push that type of popup into your browsing process.

groucho said:
My patience with this shit is at an end. And so are the days when I recommend Nowhereradio to people. One thing I'll say about mp3.com and all the other crappy music sites - they DON'T host spyware.

Your User Name befits you. :) I have never had a pop-up or spyware....are you running a program like Kazaa in the background because those type of progs have adware and spyware built into them. It might just be that shit causing the pop-ups and gator software.

WINSTON

Here's a thought: post on your own website. I get only 10 megs of space with my ISP, but hey, it's free with the service, each mp3 takes only 2-4 megs, and I can post one or two for a few weeks, then post another. I control it. Why can't the rest of us do the same.

p.s. Nowhereradio owes you nothing. You don't like the site? Demand your money back (ha ha) and go build your own site.

Our advertiser has been known to break the rules and do shit like that before, if you find code, and it IS from FocusIn (the advertiser), let me know right away and I'll give them yet another phone call.

In NWR4, I will be dropping them all together, as this sort of thing has happened before. I can't afford to go through and remove all their code at this time, too busy trying to make some money (nearly out of food and down to a few dollars).

W.

Screw it, they only pay half of it anyway, I'll find the money somewhere.

I'm sending them this:

Pop-ups, and other hidden spyware applications, forms of un-ethical advertising were never supposed to appear on my account. Many requests have been made to ensure that this never happens again, and yet, it's happening again. I am again losing clients, reputation, and receiving complaints that these ads are appearing from your system again.

I request that you send the full amount owed in our account immediately, and disable the ad account. The code cannot be removed at this time, so you must ensure that a simple 'blank' spot appears in place of the advertising, and NO POP-UPS or any other such code.

The username is therealwaldo

Waldo
NoWhere Etc.

W.

Thanks for the response Waldo. To you other folks: if you haven't encountered the spyware shit, you've just been lucky so far. It's NOT anything on my computer - I'm obsessive about keeping a clean system. I have no spyware residing on my hard drive, etc. It IS something on the webpages themselves - and I'm NOT the only one finding it.

As far as me complaining about a free service - yeah, it's free, but the reason I posted this here is that people here are constantly hyping Nowhereradio and refusing to even listen to songs posted on mp3.com, etc. When I am increasingly bombarded with spyware, I figured it was worth making some public fuss about so that 1) Waldo can be aware of it, and 2) newbies can be aware.

Chris

Next time, talk to the source first.

Talking to others who have no control, or ability to resolve, or even explain an issue equates to being tied to the ocean floor and asking the fish for help.

Your lucky I even came apon the topic, if you had posted it on the NWR forums, e-mailed me, called me, or any other of the dozen ways you could get ahold of me, you would have had a faster response time, possibly saved me from cutting off 50% of my income, and definately have avoided smearing my reputation.

W.

MP3.com DID install spyware for a while.

Kazaa does....but you can get around that with Kazaa Lite.

I never got spyware or popups at NoWhereRadio, but it might just be because I'm using Mozilla, which I'm personally finding is less prone to that shit.

TheRealWaldo said:
Next time, talk to the source first.

Talking to others who have no control, or ability to resolve, or even explain an issue equates to being tied to the ocean floor and asking the fish for help.

Your lucky I even came apon the topic, if you had posted it on the NWR forums, e-mailed me, called me, or any other of the dozen ways you could get ahold of me, you would have had a faster response time, possibly saved me from cutting off 50% of my income, and definately have avoided smearing my reputation.

W.

No, I believe next time I'll do exactly as I did this time.

I have no intention of smearing your reputation Waldo - you seem like a good guy who runs a cool website we all dig. But as I said before, I thought it was worth making this stuff public, since I've talked privately with others who have noticed the same stuff, and since this site effectively serves as a Nowhereradio sponsor - it seemed appropriate to have the WHOLE story available to folks looking for a host for their music.

Nothing personal. But it's not me who is endangering your reputation. It's your scumbag advertisers. Get it straight.

Chris

This is exactly the sort of post that I get flack from the owner of this site for, and nearly made me leave here entirely.

This site has NOTHING to do with NWR, other than some members of this site use the service (and are happy with it, and make it known, I can't do anything about that, so don't attack me for it), and I hang around here.

If you have questions/comments about NWR, feel free to make them public at NWR itself, or places dedicated to that sort of thing, not here. No matter what your intentions, you will only serve to hurt me, posting here.

Think about it like this, you go to your doctor, and your doctor finds you have an STD. The doctor does not share that information with you. So, for the sake of the public, that doctor happens to know a night club you hang out in, and lets every woman in the place know you have an STD, so that they don't risk infection. How would you feel?

I cannot be responsible for those abusing the internet on any scale, or any of the services I offer. No matter what I do, someone will always find a way to make it look like NWR is doing something, when I really have absolutely nothing to do with it. This is the nature of the internet. If someone is abusing the system, I'll do my best to stop them, but I can't solve the problems of the world, and still put food on my own plate.

W.

TheRealWaldo said:
Think about it like this, you go to your doctor, and your doctor finds you have an STD. The doctor does not share that information with you. So, for the sake of the public, that doctor happens to know a night club you hang out in, and lets every woman in the place know you have an STD, so that they don't risk infection. How would you feel?

DAMN! THAT'S why I have such bad luck with women in bars!
:D

Back