The Bettie song....help ? Please!

Your influences are obvious!

I really can't find anything that sticks out as bad.... I'm about 1:40 into the song right now.

Sounds like it was tracked right going in. Nothing I can add.

Nice tune!

Your influences are obvious!

I really can't find anything that sticks out as bad.... I'm about 1:40 into the song right now.

Sounds like it was tracked right going in. Nothing I can add.

Nice tune!

Thanks for listening !
Glad nothing is overwhelming so far.

What influneces ?......LOL

Doesn't sound bad to me..and I thought Kiss with the intro music, but vocals are different...:D

In reality, sounds like a fun party tune...just straight up rock....:cool:

Thanks Dogman !

It hit me quick and I just wanted a particular groove to it.

Thanks for listening !

Wow man, cool song. I think it has a classic punk vibe to it. Like Sham 69 or The Dictators. Good stuff man. :)

My only nits are mainly with the vocals. Maybe they're a little too wet and kind of muddy. You can't really make out some the words too well. Maybe dry em up and bring em out front a little more. The guitars sound good, but just to my ears I think a cleaner tone would suit the song better. Like a warm tube sound. Not harsh, but crunchy. Just my 2 cents on the guitars. The bass line is great, but it may be just a touch muddy. Maybe cut the low mids and boost around 2k to bring out more definition in the bass. Overall the mix sounds pretty good though. Good job and a fun song. :).

Wow man, cool song. I think it has a classic punk vibe to it. Like Sham 69 or The Dictators. Good stuff man. :)

My only nits are mainly with the vocals. Maybe they're a little too wet and kind of muddy. You can't really make out some the words too well. Maybe dry em up and bring em out front a little more. The guitars sound good, but just to my ears I think a cleaner tone would suit the song better. Like a warm tube sound. Not harsh, but crunchy. Just my 2 cents on the guitars. The bass line is great, but it may be just a touch muddy. Maybe cut the low mids and boost around 2k to bring out more definition in the bass. Overall the mix sounds pretty good though. Good job and a fun song. :).

Thanks alot Greg !!!

Man, I really appreciate the input :)

I am using 3 vocal tracks layered together, one of them has verb on it, the other 2 are comped only (is that a term ?) , including the main.

Should I lay off the verb on the one track ? (it's the 3rd in a layer of 3, 1 being the main) or should I consider backing off the layers ?

I like the idea of drying them up and bringing them out some more, I just don't know how ...LOL

I can hear the muddiness of the vocals, specially when I'm trying to say Page and it is comming out Pain or pay, you can't hear the page.
If I solo the track it sounds fine, but gets lost in the mix ?
Not sure how to zero in on those frequencies.

Plus, I can wreak some serious havoc with an EQ,
If I'm not guided. :D

I almost.......retracked some more guitars and added some layers to it with the 5150 but I backed out due to time, my bad ;),
I think you just helped me make up my mind.

I'll try your suggestion with the Bass !

Unfortunately, I have to wait a while to do anything, going out of town early in the AM tomorrow, for a week !

Thanks alot for checking this out !

Do you really need 3 main vocal tracks? That's probably where the problem is. You'd need to get each take very similar. Layered vocals sound nice when done very well, but they can also make problems stack up and get out of control. Try it with just one vocal track, or combine the best two. I don't know how technically "correct" this is, but here's how I do double-tracked vocals: I have a "main" vocal track that gives most of the sound. This is the one I'll put some reverb or a slapback-delay on. They second track will get heavily compressed and I'll keep it dry and lower in the mix. This will help bring out certain syllables or whatever that may be funky in the first track. It's just how I do it. Seems to work pretty well. :)

Do you really need 3 main vocal tracks? That's probably where the problem is. You'd need to get each take very similar. Layered vocals sound nice when done very well, but they can also make problems stack up and get out of control. Try it with just one vocal track, or combine the best two. I don't know how technically "correct" this is, but here's how I do double-tracked vocals: I have a "main" vocal track that gives most of the sound. This is the one I'll put some reverb or a slapback-delay on. They second track will get heavily compressed and I'll keep it dry and lower in the mix. This will help bring out certain syllables or whatever that may be funky in the first track. It's just how I do it. Seems to work pretty well. :)

There is no real need for 3 vocal tracks.
Usually when I record my voice, I't sounds a little thin until I record another vocal to go with it.
I just didn't have a clue how to get them to sound big, clean and upfront so I added a 3rd and put reverb on it as an experiment.

Makes sense that it might very well defeat the purpose, Thanks Greg !

All I have are my headphones but those should be ok enough to try what your suggesting and see if it cleans up some.

There's also some backup tracks putting emphisis on ceartin words, typically near the ends of each sentence, I tried to really pull the lows out of them so they wouldn't get mushy with the main vocals, do those sound problematic to you ?

Thanks alot for the insight and all the help, It's not going unappreciated !

Just drove for 11 hours, my arse hurts...lol

The vox are a little fuzzy - good but not defined - maybe do some rad EQing to two of them & pan them a little away from the hit pick to create some difference.
The harmony ahhs work really well.
The bass needs a llittle definition in my h/phones - a 3kh spike?
Good song - Betty Page'd be chuffed.
Needs a cut'n'run lead.
Sounds like a party'n'beer hit.

New here and love the place :)
I would greatly appreciate any comments/Critique, good, bad, or indifferent.
I really really need some help mixing and eqing and stuff.
I have a hard time with it so any pointers and help would be appreciated.:D
Have a listen and let me know, Please !
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=760696

Hey RocknRoll,

I have listened a few times now and the only things that I could constructively criticise on is the vocals and the reverb, but that has already been addressed. The guitar solo could do with a little less reverb and maybe some chorus/delay just to bring it up so that it sits "IN" the mix, it would help in fattening out the tone slightly as well.
You have done well in getting the kick drum and the bass to be able to be heard together in the mix, perhaps a slight boost in the mids for more clarity on the bass guitar.

Thanx for sharing RocknRollOver. :)

Who the hell is Betty Page??? :confused: :o

The vox are a little fuzzy - good but not defined - maybe do some rad EQing to two of them & pan them a little away from the hit pick to create some difference.
The harmony ahhs work really well.
The bass needs a llittle definition in my h/phones - a 3kh spike?
Good song - Betty Page'd be chuffed.
Needs a cut'n'run lead.
Sounds like a party'n'beer hit.

Thanks rayc !
I really appreciate the pointers. I'm not too familiar with EQing but have been getting great help here !
I need those specifics, Thanks alot.

I offten wondered Bettie would dig it, might be a little heavy but I've read that she still gets a kick out of some of this type of stuff.

Hey RocknRoll,

I have listened a few times now and the only things that I could constructively criticise on is the vocals and the reverb, but that has already been addressed. The guitar solo could do with a little less reverb and maybe some chorus/delay just to bring it up so that it sits "IN" the mix, it would help in fattening out the tone slightly as well.
You have done well in getting the kick drum and the bass to be able to be heard together in the mix, perhaps a slight boost in the mids for more clarity on the bass guitar.

Thanx for sharing RocknRollOver. :)

Who the hell is Betty Page??? :confused: :o

Hey Gorty !
As it turns out, I was doing the wrong thing with my vocals and defeating my original cause.
I haven't really been able to mess with it in a serious way (stuck in a hotel room) but I have applied what Greg said to the vocals and immediately could hear a majoe difference in my phones.
Can't wait to get back and really apply everything I'm learning in this thread.

Thanks alot for the listen and advice !

Bettie.jpg

Awesome song. I want betty page... but my dad does too.

I like the tune, I would have a little less reverb on the guitar and like a little more high end on the vocals I think.:) Sweet stuff. Erockrazor

LOL !
Don't forget Grandpa too.

Thanks for the listen and the comments Erockrazor :)
I do have some more work to do with the vocals yet.

Back