The Beatles (cover) Back in the USSR

Why not indeed..

Mix is good. Strong levels. Your appreciation of the song is evident without much investigation. There is genuine enjoyment of the material. Its like equity...money in bank. Beatles money..

Last edited:
Are you using a noisegate on your vocal? I hear some abrupt starts and stops in spots.

The bottom really drops out @ :54 with no bass - like someone pulled the rug out.

Hey Spantini - no gate on the vox, though I was half asleep when I did it so who knows.
I do remember slicing some sections and raising the level to get it a bit more audible.
I was going to redo the vox but I ended up liking the half-fried quality, though parts do come thru as less than inspired.

Yeah the bass, well at 00:54 I did stop playing bass.
Couldn't remember what he did there.
da Beatles - nothing simple - ever!

Well if you can believe this, the bass stops there. And I am nowhere playing bass like the record.
Listen to that rake at 00:25
Make it stop...
Man! I can't believe a Jazz bass ever sounded that bad :p

Your new mix sounds better - the bass stops where it should and picks up again.

Here's a cool version here

I was going to suggest you give Helter Skelter a try, then I remembered you already did, last July - here

And in doing a forum search for Helter Skelter, I found @famous beagle's thread from 2017 with a YouTube link to Paul McCartney's solo acoustic jam of Helter Skelter in the studio back in 1968. He does this really cool lyrical phrasing when he gets to "you may be a lover but you ain't no dancer, look out..".

Last edited:
Back