The B-3

OK, now for some heresy.......
I also dig the sound of the
s-l300.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

Just another purveyor of the B3 sound... Vanilla Fudge. The combination of Mark Stein's B3 and vocals were amazing.

Buddy of mine has a restored B3, two Leslie cabs, a Fender Rhodes “suitcase” ( that he’s selling) and another Rhodes (I guess “non suitcase?”) . The B-3 in person in the right hands is everything that its reputation deserves. It is an absolutely beautiful inspiring sound

When I was in Blackbird Studios, Nashville, to do some recording the Leslie had its own iso room, dedicated, permanent fixture. Important piece of equipment, still very much relevant.

I think I'd pick a good drawbar equipped keyboard over a B3, or a digital hammond if I could afford it. The B3 is too heavy and needs too much maintenance (oiling!). The leslie (or other rotating speaker assembly) is an irreplaceable part of the sound for a live application though. There are some good VSTs out there.

When my bud plays the B3, the Leslie rotating, holding a chord, it’s one of the coolest sounds and tones imaginable. Instant recognizable and I’ve never heard a live synth in a room through a monitor come close

Back