telephone wire - with Greg_L on drums

The 2nd mix sounds really good to me. Also listened to the old soundclick one to get an idea. This one is definitely cleaner and more concise... I think you pull a few more tricks out of your guitar hat here too... maybe more variation in the instrument sounds. I really like how the Hammond's sounding in your mixes...nice and full. Greg's drums sound great and the bass locks in nice and tight. Sounds great- especially in that instrumental section at the end.

Cool. Thanks fat. I'm happy that the organ sounds good. It doesn't seem to matter whether I mic the cab or run the headphone out jack direct, it sounds fairly decent either way.

I do have to do some drastic EQ reduction to mute this constant low grade hum that it emits, and I was worried those cuts would ruin the overall sound, but it seems ok. Thanks again.

Hey, listened again as requested Pete. I'm still hearing that issue - for me it's most prominent in the first one between like 49-52 secs. I think it's as the nylon string comes in - it's slightly out of time and a bit boomy. I think I'm in danger of overstating the significance of it, but the first time I played it, I was only half listening and it caught my attention because it jutted out - so I thought I'd put it down. Nobody else has commented on it though, so maybe it's just me. I wouldn't worry about it much.

Vocal levels sound better this time around I think. Well done Heat.

Thanks for coming back rob. Yeah, I don't know if I can hear that specifically, but I know the scratch tracks were off there a bit, which must've made it hard for greg to follow along. I told him to try to ignore me and just follow the click. Of course when I started overdubbing to his drums, I still had the scratch track in the background as a guide, so that may've thrown me off some. I should've put more effort into the scratch tracks - just 2: me singing and playing guitar (which I can't do too well on this number) and a bass. Next time I collab I'm going to put more effort into that.

At about 3.45 the drums stop, and then come back in via some snare hits. Is there something getting masked in there, or do the drums actually stop? Maybe it could be clearer when the snare starts in again?

I really like this one. Nice work, mr heat.

Sounds good. I actually like the drums at it's current presence (could come up a bit), since this, to me, has an EDM-like folk song feel. I wouldn't mind hearing (a little copy and paste of) the hook vox included in the outro to this song, instead of just an instrumental out.

At about 3.45 the drums stop, and then come back in via some snare hits. Is there something getting masked in there, or do the drums actually stop? Maybe it could be clearer when the snare starts in again?

I really like this one. Nice work, mr heat.

Hey dobro - I didn't edit the drum performance. Right there, I think Greg does a little tom fill, hits a crash, and then switches to the ride before he does that snare fill leading back to the full kit for the ending. I really liked that snare roll myself...he starts very quietly and it builds...maybe the start of it is buried with everything else going on?

Sounds good. I actually like the drums at it's current presence (could come up a bit), since this, to me, has an EDM-like folk song feel. I wouldn't mind hearing (a little copy and paste of) the hook vox included in the outro to this song, instead of just an instrumental out.

I've seen EDM written before, but didn't know what it meant...just did a quick search...interesting!

I'm having trouble imagining cut and pasted vox at the end, but that could actually be kind of cool...especially with lots of FX on them or weird panning. Thanks Luke!

Heat, you take the suggestions well. I like the tune and haven't really studied it yet. At first listen I felt the lead vocal was a little lackluster. The extra vocal seemed to be a better range for adding a little energy. But hey, what do I know? Lyrics are interesting and the performance is ok by me. For Greggor, more cowbell!!! (Wink,wink)

Heat, you take the suggestions well. I like the tune and haven't really studied it yet. At first listen I felt the lead vocal was a little lackluster. The extra vocal seemed to be a better range for adding a little energy. But hey, what do I know? Lyrics are interesting and the performance is ok by me. For Greggor, more cowbell!!! (Wink,wink)

Thanks for checking it out ronhar. Yeah, lackluster might be accurate, I'm not sure...I think to some extent all my vocal tracks sound a little sedate, even if I feel like I'm really into it at the time. I used to get that feedback a lot early on in my time here, and I suspect eventually regulars here just kind of decided that's how I sing and ignore it now? I dunno. I call this one average for me I guess.

Both vocal tracks were one take each done super late at night. I probably could've tried more to see if I got something better, but I just wasn't up for it I guess. Thanks again.

W0W, very cool hm, thanks for sharing!

Now you've got it stuck in me head...

radio

Thanks radio...yikes! I'm sorry about that. Hopefully it is unstuck by now. That would drive me nuts! ;)

:DGood job....I've liked all 3 mixes I've heard so far. Each one has a little different "color" so to speak. I guess it is partially the "color" you are happy with. Each comment, I think, reflects what other people might do which is, in retrospect, what you are asking for when you post a song here. For what it's worth - everything sounds well balanced and has a good EQ to it. Again, good job.

Hey dobro - I didn't edit the drum performance. Right there, I think Greg does a little tom fill, hits a crash, and then switches to the ride before he does that snare fill leading back to the full kit for the ending. I really liked that snare roll myself...he starts very quietly and it builds...maybe the start of it is buried with everything else going on?

I've seen EDM written before, but didn't know what it meant...just did a quick search...interesting!

I'm having trouble imagining cut and pasted vox at the end, but that could actually be kind of cool...especially with lots of FX on them or weird panning. Thanks Luke!

Yea, some lo-fi reprise of the chorus, or parts of the chorus (a re-sample at 8 bit with verb?), that's at half the volume of the body of the song.

I think that this sounds great (listening to the 6/15 mix). I can't hear anything out of place at first listen. Maybe just a little more guitar during the solos? Definitely like the guitar/key fills, they play against each other well. Great breakdown towards the end. Very cool song man.

Sounds great man! I'm listening to the 06/15/14 mix.
It's interesting to hear Greg's drums in a different context. They sound fanstastic too.
Something caught my attention at 0:56. I doubt it was a hesitation or mistake, but the drum rhythm drew my ear.

I always love how smooth your vocals sound. Do you distort or use a saturation plugin or something? It always sounds like it.
Meandering outros usually wind me up but this kept my attention right to the end.
Cracking job! :)

The drums still have a slight bland to them, Pete. They're clean, but not popping ... a little too "sonically laid back". I'd probably bring the vocals a little more forward too ... but that's a personal taste issue.

Really like the vibe of the tune, and what you did with the instrumentation.

New mix - 06/15/14

This sounds much better to me mate. I really like the added Organ flourishes in the breaks. They break it up nicely. Personally I was drop the guitar in that part down a few more dB so it's more of a backing/rhythm part than a lead. But that's by the by a personal thing.

Still think the song is a cracker. Had it on a playlist over the last week or so but that version will now be replaced with this 'un.

:thumbs up:

:DGood job....I've liked all 3 mixes I've heard so far. Each one has a little different "color" so to speak. I guess it is partially the "color" you are happy with. Each comment, I think, reflects what other people might do which is, in retrospect, what you are asking for when you post a song here. For what it's worth - everything sounds well balanced and has a good EQ to it. Again, good job.

Thanks fire. With some rare exceptions, I generally get what I'm asking for here in terms of suggestions. It's great actually. There's nowhere else I can really get feedback on this stuff, so it is most appreciated, even if I find it confusing at times.

Yea, some lo-fi reprise of the chorus, or parts of the chorus (a re-sample at 8 bit with verb?), that's at half the volume of the body of the song.

Ok, cool. I can kind of hear that working. Maybe I'll give it a try. Thanks!

I think that this sounds great (listening to the 6/15 mix). I can't hear anything out of place at first listen. Maybe just a little more guitar during the solos? Definitely like the guitar/key fills, they play against each other well. Great breakdown towards the end. Very cool song man.

Great. Thanks Tadpui. I appreciate it. Yeah, I went back and listened, and the mix kind of empties out a bit at the guitar solo. I guess I could've automated some things to come up then to fill it out some. I'm kind of lazy about that stuff though. I have motorized faders that I can use to adjust levels over the course of a mix, but I rarely use them.

I'm glad you enjoyed this one. :)

Sounds great man! I'm listening to the 06/15/14 mix.
It's interesting to hear Greg's drums in a different context. They sound fanstastic too.
Something caught my attention at 0:56. I doubt it was a hesitation or mistake, but the drum rhythm drew my ear.

I always love how smooth your vocals sound. Do you distort or use a saturation plugin or something? It always sounds like it.
Meandering outros usually wind me up but this kept my attention right to the end.
Cracking job! :)

Awesome. Thanks Steen. Yes, I always enjoy hearing Greg and other drummers here work on other people's tracks. I was really happy with what he did here.

Um, vocals...I do different things a lot of the time with them. There's no distortion per se on this one (although I've done that before). From what I remember, I just got really close to mic, sang fairly loud, and applied both a limiter and comp on the input, resulting in a slightly overdriven sound. It's easy to get them sounding harsh that way though, so I usually do some EQ cuts to offset that. Glad it sounded good for you.

The drums still have a slight bland to them, Pete. They're clean, but not popping ... a little too "sonically laid back". I'd probably bring the vocals a little more forward too ... but that's a personal taste issue.

Really like the vibe of the tune, and what you did with the instrumentation.

Thanks K. Yeah, that's too bad about the drums, 'cause the raw tracks certainly popped. I did do a lot of EQ, comp + FX on 'em to make them a little less full sounding just 'cause that seemed to fit better with my sounds, but I may have gone too far...thanks again!

This sounds much better to me mate. I really like the added Organ flourishes in the breaks. They break it up nicely. Personally I was drop the guitar in that part down a few more dB so it's more of a backing/rhythm part than a lead. But that's by the by a personal thing.

Still think the song is a cracker. Had it on a playlist over the last week or so but that version will now be replaced with this 'un.

:thumbs up:

Cool. Thanks for checking back Mr. C. I brought that delayed guitar thing down some on the newest mix, but perhaps not enough. I'm kind of hung up on the idea of that part, because when I used to play this with the lyricist in my garage, that riff was sort of the centerpiece, but back then it sounded a lot rougher and maybe more rock-like. This is like a watered down version of that as I guess I've mellowed with age. Glad you enjoyed it, and I'm relieved the new mix sounds mostly good to people. I think I'm somewhat happy with it at this point.

Like sneakers hung on a telephone wire
I believe I'll walk the wind

I love this place sometimes.

Listened to the most recent mix. I just enjoyed the tune. I've got endless patience with this one. What a nice tune.

Hey Heat,
have you made an MP3 or FLAC that I could download? I'd like to put this on my portable player as well as listen to it in my "studio".

Back