This City - alternative/pop/rock - mix feedback welcome

andrushkiwt

This is probably the 3rd time I've recorded and mixed this tune. I really want a decent mix of it, so I gave it another shot. I kept the previous version's vocals and redid everything else, including the drums which, yes, I had MIDI access to this time.

New things about this mix:

- kept Superior Drummer within the VST. I didn't bounce it out or mix everything individually. I liked this better, actually. There is a single compressor and EQ on the drum channel, although the kick and snare, within the plugin, have some Toontrack EQ I added.
- continually messing with input gain, since they're are so many stages and possibilities. If I turn my guitar volume knob past, say, 6, the interface clips. So, there's constant adjusting on my end. I can't set it and forget it since the bass reacts differently. Now, I remember to keep guitar input on the 2i2 at about 2/10 and bass at 5/10. The switch is set to instrument.
- a crap ton of volume riding all over the place. When the vocal stops, guitars go up. When there's a bass lick I like, it goes up. Movements happening in about 3db increments.

There is a master compressor taking away 2.5db max with a limiter chipping off 3db max on some drum fills. Small master EQ cut at 2.5khz to edge away some of the top end of guitar, high-mid of vocal, and cymbals. That's a point where the upper spectrum of the mix meets, so the tiny, wide cut helped smooth it out quite a bit. Oh, and HP at 32hz.

Of course, there's a lot more. So feel to ask if I left something out. This is, hopefully, the first track of an 8-song album, so I'm taking this mix pretty seriously.

Thanks for listening and commenting!

When she breaks down,
and she found out,
I stood right there alone.

Catch this city, and wait by the ocean.
I feel her emotions on me.
Catch this city, and sleep on the sidewalk.
You whisper when we talk alone.

I won't be so kind. You give it all
and I won't break.

It's too late, alone.

Sweet bro. Love the breaks. Drums sound killer, busy at times, but good and tasteful. Liked the ending a lot.

Heard some cool delay on the vocals at times, nice touch, done well. Guitars sound great as well.

Listening a second time, I'm trying to find something to critique. I got nothing. Awesome, my friend.

Sweet bro. Love the breaks. Drums sound killer, busy at times, but good and tasteful.

I swear I removed about 40% of the previous version's drum hits :) There are a couple fills that are prolonged, yeah, is that what you mean? I had the drumming implanted in my brain because I wrote them out for the first time 2 years ago, so those fills are programmed in my head. Hard to unhear them now, but I tried to simplify them all, actually. You should have heard them before.

I didn't mean "busy" in a bad way, maybe that was a wrong choice of words. I think they sound great, the rolls fit perfectly, I wouldn't change a thing about them. The work you put into them really shows. That wasn't the Avatar Ludwig snare was it?

Sounds excellent as usual- Love that opening-i started over a few times just to hear it-Really like the sound of the bass on this one-nice round sound during the verse. I notice the riding of elements like you say, the bass carries that first verse then blends back in. The mix is comfortable to listen to considering how full and big it sounds, though right out of the open i liked so much-i expected more energy-like there was a high end drop there or in general. I guess this is part of why it is so comfortable to listen to. I just expected a head slam moment when it kicks in and it seems to falter a bit..Could just be my setup, i'm sure this sounds the way you want it to. Love the stops-the way things died out and started up-very clean and quiet-those head slam moments worked better for me. Vocals-guitars sounded great-great melody. Drums sound well programmed-lots of fills and changes-there was some double ride cymbal hits at the very end that were a bit distracting-but just cause i'm in hyper listen mode. Nice work.

Hey thanks for the listen and comment. I think there's less high end in the rhythm guitars, so when they kick in the high end drops a bit there to make room for the cymbals. I usually LP my guitars at 7.3khz on the guitar bus.

I actually like the double ride hits in the outro a lot...and I'm just glad you noticed them, to be honest. It'd be something I'd be inclined to do if I were actually drumming this out live. It's totally you didn't like them, like I said, I'm thrilled someone even caught that.

Thanks man!

Sounds good. I don't have much. I don't know how much snare you want, but it seems during the louder parts the snare sounds like a tap dancer. Not a lot of body or resonance to it. Guitars seem to be at a good level. Vocals cut through well.

Glad you decided to pull together an album. I know a lot of people are buying their tunes a la carte, but the album is still the gold standard in my view.

Taras---you da man......sounds EXCELLENT. Drums=Greatness Guitars sound great as does your singing and everything else that goes with it. The ONLY thing I have a concern with is that the vocals sound a little muffled and muddy against the heavy guitars. Granted I have been mixing all day myself so my ears may be shot..so take it for what its worth. Great first song on your album!

... is that the vocals sound a little muffled and muddy against the heavy guitars

That's certainly possible. The chorus vocals are on a separate track from the verse vocals. Different EQ. I'll check that out tomorrow. Thanks for the listen and feedback. Really appreciate it

It sounds good, man. Nice and clear (sounds like you cleared a lot of the mud out of the old mix). Not hearing anything shrill in the guitars or vocals as I have in the past. Great job improving all that. I'd say it's done.

It sounds good, man. Nice and clear (sounds like you cleared a lot of the mud out of the old mix). Not hearing anything shrill in the guitars or vocals as I have in the past. Great job improving all that. I'd say it's done.

thanks for the listen/comment

Excellent sounding mix. Everything sounds excellent. Nice song structure. Good guitar parts.

Not really much I hear that I think could be improved. Nice job.

Nice song structure.

Thanks 3M. I think that's something I worried about with this song. The structure is rather odd. It starts with the chorus too, which is not something I usually like but thought it worked here. Also, there's only one verse. Not sure if anyone noticed that. The second bridge (yes, there's two) steals a verse line, but then steals from the first bridge. Then there's a separate outro. I went kinda nuts with it. But, glad someone liked it.

Thanks man

Back