TEAC A-3340S Service

I just finished servicing my A-3340S tape deck. However, I still have a problem with a screeching noise that starts more than mid-way through a reel of tape in both high and low speeds. The noise seems to get reduced when the left tension arm is lowered away from the tape. However, I can't pinpoint the source of the noise. My reel motors are in good condition and have sealed bearings, so no oiling is needed. I also adjusted the brakes along with the take up torque and back tension for both reel sizes. Yet the screeching noise persists at about 2/3 of the way through a full reel. Does anyone know what might be the cause, and how to fix it?

I just finished servicing my A-3340S tape deck. However, I still have a problem with a screeching noise that starts more than mid-way through a reel of tape in both high and low speeds. The noise seems to get reduced when the left tension arm is lowered away from the tape. However, I can't pinpoint the source of the noise. My reel motors are in good condition and have sealed bearings, so no oiling is needed. I also adjusted the brakes along with the take up torque and back tension for both reel sizes. Yet the screeching noise persists at about 2/3 of the way through a full reel. Does anyone know what might be the cause, and how to fix it?
Are you using new tape that isn't subject to sticky-shed syndrome?

Good point. These are archive tapes that have been stored for several years. Is there a way to condition the tape properly prior to playing it? I hear that you can bake the tape in an oven, but don't know any details.

Good point. These are archive tapes that have been stored for several years. Is there a way to condition the tape properly prior to playing it? I hear that you can bake the tape in an oven, but don't know any details.
A food dehydrator works best. Do not try to play anymore of these tapes as they are now. You can ruin a machine trying to play them. There are tutorials on line about how tapes should be baked.

And don't even think about using these tapes for recording because baking only makes them usable for a couple of weeks or so. Don't use a conventional oven either. You need a low temperature oven like a laboratory oven or a food dehydrator. Baking times seem to be getting longer as tapes age so some articles you'll find on the net are going to be out of date. While I normally bake for 10-16 hours depending on the tape age and size, some people are now baking tapes for as long as 48 hours.

A good halfway house is to clean the non-oxide side first. Isopropyl on a cloth on the back of the tape on a wind helps, and cleans some of any sticky stuff off the back. I'm always careful with the oxide side because if the tape is 'sheddy' then anything coming off that side is some of your music! You will also find cleaning the heads, guides and capstan path something you have to do every time.

And don't even think about using these tapes for recording because baking only makes them usable for a couple of weeks or so. Don't use a conventional oven either. You need a low temperature oven like a laboratory oven or a food dehydrator. Baking times seem to be getting longer as tapes age so some articles you'll find on the net are going to be out of date. While I normally bake for 10-16 hours depending on the tape age and size, some people are now baking tapes for as long as 48 hours.
I have several archived tapes that I want to transfer to digital. I saw a video on YouTube made by a professional recording engineer showing how to condition the tape before use. I also found out that Ampex 456 are notorious for sticky syndrome due to the formulation. I will definitely follow the instructions provided by the engineer prior to transferring the audio from the tape. Thanks.

A good halfway house is to clean the non-oxide side first. Isopropyl on a cloth on the back of the tape on a wind helps, and cleans some of any sticky stuff off the back. I'm always careful with the oxide side because if the tape is 'sheddy' then anything coming off that side is some of your music! You will also find cleaning the heads, guides and capstan path something you have to do every time.
I think the safest way is to bake the tapes prior to playing them. The recommended time and temperature are 48 hrs at 130°F in a good quality food dehydrator. Thanks.

Don't even think about trying to play Ampex tapes without baking because you will need to clean your heads every 30 seconds or so. A suitable dehydrator isn't expensive and it is just false economy to try to play the tape without baking. Here's the one that I use

(though you can get cheaper ones)

Back