Taylor Guitars switching to D'Addario XS Phosphor Bronze

I've got two Taylors. The Elixirs have been great. I'm a if-it-aint-broke-dont-fix-it guy.... but if you ever post a review after you make a change - I'm all ears.

I've currently got Martin strings on my Taylor. I have some Martin Lifespan treated strings for my next change. I'll just see how they sound and how well they control the squeaks that drive me crazy. If not, I'll go back to Nanowebs. However, I've had Elixers lose the coating. I don't know if it was because of my using a pick on my acoustic, or what. I've also had the wound strings get grungy after several months. That tells me that the coating was worn off.

It doesn't really matter what the factory puts on. They are like tires on a car. They wear out, you replace them and go on.

Looking online, it looks like the D'Addarios are even higher priced than the Elixers. $20 a set on Amazon vs $15 for Nanowebs.

I like my Elixers. But I like them after a few hours of play. Not a big fan of new strings and only change them when they get really dull. Usually about every couple of years. More of an time reason than a played reason.

I have never been a big fan of Elixers. They are ok but IMO not worth the cost because Like @TalismanRich said, I have also had the coating flake off. My Taylor came with Elixers and when it needed strings I switched to my typical D'Addario EJ16 for acoustic and EJ17 for acoustic lap steel. I'm lucky that I don't have sweaty or acidic hands so my non-coated strings last a good while.

I prefer the D'Addario's on my Taylor. I think it really depends on genre and playing style. And probably body size.

Back