taylor 300 or 500 series?

asulger

I'm thinking of picking up a new 12-string to be used only for recording and have narrowed the search to a taylor with mahogany back and sides: mahogany was recommended for recording 12-strings, and taylor was recommended for playability for old hands like mine. These are the 300 and 500 series. There aren't any in the stores locally, so I have to buy one without a listen. Is there any serious sound difference between the 300 and 500 series, or is the difference cosmetic?

I've had a 314 CE for almost three years now...it's my favorite guitar.
I have played other Taylors....some have been better sound wise than mine....most are not.

You have to play the one you buy man....you have to like the tone yourself...
I've played Martins and Gibsons and Larivees that have sounded like shite....ya know?

i dont want to start a "my guitar is better battle"... but ive never understood taylors. they are so shiny... i dont know... to me martins are so much fuller, i have two... and i played EVERYTHING before i decided to go with martin. i would say, dont be set on one maker... play everything you can wrap your hands around. plus, most purists will tell you that taylors made today arent made with the same quality they used to be made with. i would say buy a used, older taylor.

I have an 815 and an 855. They sound really good mic'd up. I will have to say that I do think the Martin's sound slightly better, but I just don't like the way the Martins play. It's all your personal preference, so you should go play them both. Something will sing out to you.

juststartingout said:
I have an 815 and an 855. They sound really good mic'd up. I will have to say that I do think the Martin's sound slightly better, but I just don't like the way the Martins play. It's all your personal preference, so you should go play them both. Something will sing out to you.

martins arent the most fun to play... not terrible... but not like butter. but hey, sometimes you gotta make sacrifices for amazing sound!! :)

Back