Tascam patchbays? PB-32R etc, default connection?

Anyone here have one of the Tascam PB units that could confirm for me what the default setting is on the unit? I'm trying to connect my compressors to it as a preliminary test to see what happens and when I route my Access Send and Receive (from a particular channel) to the rear of the patchbay, it acts as a straight-through, which is what I want. But in the manual, it gives no indication that there is a thru mode. Actually, the manual is pretty terrible honestly...

Just wondering if anyone uses one... I'm going to play around with it for a bit and try some normalled connections with effects and see what I come up with also. I do know that the white jacks in the front are the switched jacks... still trying to wrap my head around this thing.

But in the manual, it gives no indication that there is a thru mode. Actually, the manual is pretty terrible honestly...

This manual? it gives what you need? You have to solder the links to get what you want from the bay, I have an old one here and I soldered it so that the front connections went direct through to the back.

Alan.

Totally unrelated...I always like seeing the pictograms of the different mixers and tape machines in the sample hookups in the Teac/Tascam manuals. I think the PB-32 manual has the Tascam 48, the 122B cassette deck, and the M30 mixer?

This manual? it gives what you need? You have to solder the links to get what you want from the bay, I have an old one here and I soldered it so that the front connections went direct through to the back.

Alan.

Huh.. so that is what they mean by parallel... that's kinda what I thought. I wonder then if they've been soldered already because they are passing straight through as it is... Thanks. I'll go check it.

---------- Update ----------

Totally unrelated...I always like seeing the pictograms of the different mixers and tape machines in the sample hookups in the Teac/Tascam manuals. I think the PB-32 manual has the Tascam 48, the 122B cassette deck, and the M30 mixer?

And in the 388 manual, they make reference to the PB-32 as the patchbay to use....

Well, here's the dilemma that I'm starting to get my head around finally...

I want to hook up the in's and out's of rack effects and compressors to the patchbay, along with whatever necessary jacks on the back of the 388 I will be patching to. Primarily, at this point, I will be using the ACCESS jacks on the channels because I want my effects and compression to print to tape.

On the PB-32R, the white side is switching, the red side is not. This much I understand after ripping the unit apart and soldering unnecessary wires to create a "parallel" situation, which didn't end up working anyway. I found, that the ACCESS send / recv jacks must be patched into the un-switched side (red jacks) and my compressor has to be in the switched side (white jacks). Then I can patch those together and everything works.

What does that mean in terms of normal / thru etc? If something is plugged into the send / recv jacks and left hanging, it cuts the channel, so it has to make a loop to work. (I recall seeing jumpers on my 244 for what I'm guessing is a similar reason). The annoying part about the PB-32 is that the modules are removable by groups of 2... which isn't as flexible but I guess it is what it is.

I hope I'm explaining this right, because I feel like I sound like an idiot and I know I'm overthinking it, but it's a lot of work to set up a "permanent" patchbay so I want to do it right the first time. I guess what I'm trying to ask is, do the send / recv jacks need to operate in a Normal route, and the ins/outs of effects and compressors as "thru" or open?

You know what, nevermind... I went and found the thread between SB and j.harv regarding the send / recv jacks and saw that they were designed in a half-normalled configuration to begin with. So, to make myself feel better (lol), they are different and I'm not just going crazy.

If I remember right when I bought my PB-32R many years ago, I had to remove a solder link to make them through connections.

Alan.

Back