Tascam MSR16

Awesome! Will give it a try. Gonna get the tach roller fixed then shes good to go! Pretty excited about this machine.

Oh yeah, note that in my diagram, the bottom of the picture is the tape-facing part... the top, with the q-tip shaft is the back side, facing away from the tape.

Oh yeah, note that in my diagram, the bottom of the picture is the tape-facing part... the top, with the q-tip shaft is the back side, facing away from the tape.

Cool, I am going straw shopping tomorrow, hah.

Do you guys know if the MSR16 and TSR8 have interchangeable MRL calibration tape? :confused:

Do you guys know if the MSR16 and TSR8 have interchangeable MRL calibration tape? :confused:

If it's a full track mono tape, then yes, you should be able to use it on both decks as they're both factory set to run on 456....though I wouldn't be surprised if they went for a slightly lower level on the MSR16 to reduce adjacent channel crosstalk/leakage. Your owner's manual for the 16 track should tell you in the specs what it's nwb setting reference level is. If it says 180nwb/m, then you're fine as that's the same level that a TSR8/38/48/58 would use as well.

Cheers! :)

Make sure you get the edges of those rollers and lifters with isopropyl, preferably 99% if you can get ahold of it.

For cleaning the rubber parts, Beck* recommended on a post years ago to use Windex, which I've always used on my pinch rollers and other rubber parts, including the two MSR-16's I used to own. It cleans really well without drying out the rubber.

As for the MSR-16 Owner's/Operator's Manual, as of a few months ago Tascam had them in stock, I want to say for around $30 + shipping. If you give me a day or so, I might have one around that I'd be willing to sell for half of whatever they're selling it for (original, not a photocopy or anything). Just let me know if you're interested and I'll take a look for it.

-MD

*I'm about 99% sure Beck suggested this - but my memory has been imperfect as of late. I don't want to take credit for this, but I remember well enough to know it wasn't my idea!

would it be a bad idea to wrap a white splicing tape around the guides instead of the straw thing? wouldn't it be pretty much the same?

I cut about an inch of straw for each lifter, basically enough to cover the exposed metal.
The first thing I did was just leave them loose, the idea being that they'd work as cheap rotary guides and reduce wear during winding. However it made this horrible violining sound during fast wind, so I stopped that experiment fairly quickly.

What I did instead was find something to stick into the loose part of the straw to bring it tight against the tape lifter, like this:

View attachment 63898

...I ended up using q-tip shafts since they happened to be the right size and were plentiful.

The straw would be thicker and last longer. It would also have the advantage of being seamless. Splicing tape is gonna have an edge somewhere plus whatever goo from getting it to stick together on the post.

The straw would be thicker and last longer. It would also have the advantage of being seamless. Splicing tape is gonna have an edge somewhere plus whatever goo from getting it to stick together on the post.

Ok I'll give the straw thing a try, but other than the tape lifters...I doubt a straw would fit on the 2 other guides, and definitely not on the 3rd large guide on the MSR16.

Ok I'll give the straw thing a try, but other than the tape lifters...I doubt a straw would fit on the 2 other guides, and definitely not on the 3rd large guide on the MSR16.
Yeah, I've only done this on the lifters myself. The other guides can be rotated.

And no, I wouldn't want to use adhesive on it.

Re-read post #14. The guide posts and dummy head adjustment screws are accessible by removing the head assembly and loosening the hex screws and rotating them to a clean arc. Hopefully your manual will show you an exploded view diagram of that.

So the guides have been rotated, and the lifters "strawed", hah. Q qtip was not needed the straws were a near perfect fit.

But now I need some advice on removing the problematic counter roller, it has a spring and attachment fastening it, which make it difficult to pull out (see pics)

roller

rollerg.jpg

guides/straw

straaw.jpg

Last edited:
The grommet has two holes in it. Find an appropriate sized pair of needle nose pliers and stick the plier tips into each hole and spread it apart enough to unclasp the grommet. Make sure it doesn't go flying off somewhere by guarding it's escape path with your body or keeping a sharp eye of which direction it went if it flies away! :D

Hopefully, the tach roller will be able to be pulled up and off at that point but check the manual to see it shows any other fasteners.

Luck!

Thanks for all your help!!

Kind of off topic but can I do something similar to the lifters on my Tascam 22-2?

Different lifters on that one, like needles, so I doubt straw would work.:confused:

Kind of off topic but can I do something similar to the lifters on my Tascam 22-2?

Different lifters on that one, like needles, so I doubt straw would work.:confused:

You might need to visit a local bar which has those skinny straws for their girly drinks! :D

At the time, I was able to obtain lifter assemblies for the '32/'34 so I didn't feel the need to try anything weird like that.

Back