choosing a mixer: fostex or tascam

hey all. i’m piecing together what things are gonna look like once i begin the “buying” part of my reel-to-reel set up. i want a tascam 38 reel to reel, and that is decided. but mixer wise, i’m wondering if i want to wait out for an affordable m30, m35, or teac model 5, or if i should look into a fostex 812.

mac demarco’s “dreamin fast” demo

here’s a recording that i’m kind of using as inspiration in my current music project, all taking place on my tascam 244. i’m close but obviously i know it isn’t gonna be the same. but when i move to reel, i want to really pin point the features that this recording has. i know the artist either used a teac model 5, or a fostex 812. i want dirty, i want clean but nasty. lofi but meaty. harsh but smooth. (and for the nerds out there, does this recording sound like he’s using a condenser on vocals or any instruments? it’s either a condenser or a 58 beta. genuinely can’t tell.)

the pluses of the fostex mixer are the phantom power it has, and they’re much much cheaper, but it’s cons are that i’m certainly less used to its layout since i’ve been learning on a tascam 244 portastudio. but i’m pretty sure i could get past that learning curve. also, i’m not 100% sure i follow the function of its stereo line outs being shared between the outs for tracks 7/8. if any fostex guys wanna explain, i’d be happy to hear. thanks. i am kinda leaning towards it.

and here’s actually the raw tape (imagine if the recording was in “cue” mode as opposed to remix mode) audio of that demo and you can hear what the mixer has done to the recording.
raw tape

Back