Tascam MSR-24 connection question

Paulus

Hi,

Hopefully someone here has got the answer to this situation.
I have a Tascam MSR-24 in pristine condition, I hooked this machine up to my 32 channel mixing desk (D&R Orion-X)
The Orion-X recording in and outputs are all balanced.
The Tascam MSR-24 is unbalanced.
I have just used mono-jack to -RCA but now there is a slight hum in the playback signal but there is no hum in the recorded signal on tape.

Is there anyone here who knows the best way to connect these two ?

Last edited:
That's pretty much what I did, so I'm not sure what the issue is. Do you get the hum if you monitor the inputs or is it only on playback?

There is hum only on playback, not on the recording itself.
It's only on playback
Huh? How can you tell? It’s not like the MSR has a headphone jack where you can monitor without going through a mixer.

What kind of an input /output set up does your mixer have?

Well I can’t glean the necessary information from the manual on how to properly interface unbalanced sources with the balanced inputs on the console, but looking at the service manual and schematics it may not be as straight-forward as using an RCA to TS cable…I believe ideally you would have a cable that’s RCA at one end, with the shield disconnected, and the pin of the RCA jack connects to the tip of a TRS plug at the other end, the ring of the TRS plug is not connected, and the shield of the TRS plug connects to the shield of the cable.

What happens if you only insert the TS plug to the first click?

If I remember tonight I'll have a look at the cables I made up. I thought they were just TS-to-RCA but they might have been TRS with the ring left floating.

If I remember tonight I'll have a look at the cables I made up. I thought they were just TS-to-RCA but they might have been TRS with the ring left floating.
That would be fantastic! Thanks!
Please check if this is for both sides the same input and output from mixer to tape-machine.

EDIT: just got the answer from DSA Service Marco,
output: hot and ground . (cold disconnected)
input: hot and for ground: cold and ground connected together.
Jumpers on channel strip must be on -10DB.

Last edited:
So there you go. You have to have RCA to TRS cables with specific measures implemented at the TRS end at least for the console outputs -> tape machine inputs. Your existing cabling might work for the tape machine outputs to the console inputs, but you’ll have to experiment…

On that note, am I correct in understanding you hear the hum from the tape machine outputs when monitoring at the console, either when using headphones or control room monitor speakers? The RCA to TS cable with single conductor and shield is doing the same thing as stated in the reply from tech support for the inputs to the console…that is assuming the shield of the RCA plug goes to the shield of the TS plug, and then the “ring” and “shield” contacts in the TRS jack on the console are both connected, like tying the “cold” and “ground” together as per the instructions in the email response you got, because both those contacts touch the same “shield” section of the TS plug. So that should work…again, for the input side at the console. If you are still hearing hum at the console, temporarily disconnect the cables from the outputs of the console AND the inputs of the tape machine, so only the outputs from the tape machine are connected to the inputs at the console with your RCA -> TS cables. Hum gone? If it is still there then you’ll want to try lifting the shield from RCA plugs, so it floats at the tape machine end and only the signal pin is connected.

Audio signal is AC voltage…so the shield of the cable is not signal “ground”. That’s why I keep using the term “shield” because that’s what it is…it surrounds the signal conductor in the cable and shields the signal from RF and UHF interference in the environment, and then that interference, if induced into the shield, is shunted to chassis ground at the console end via the “shield” portion of the TS plug, and furthermore the “cold” side of the differential line input amp is also connected to ground, which essentially deactivates that side of the input amp since it is not needed…grounding keeps it from floating and potentially creating noise in the signal path. So you can lift the shield at the tape machine end if you need to and maybe that will resolve the hum if necessary. This is not at all uncommon practice. Your problem might be if your cabling has molded strain relief and jacketing at the plugs, you won’t be able to access connections and implement the modifications. In that case you’ll need to buy aftermarket RCA plugs that you can solder on in place of the factory molded plugs on your cables if that be the case, and only connect the signal conductor…leave the shield disconnected.

On the output side you can still use the single-conductor shielded cable you have, but you’ll have to buy replacement TRS plugs to solder in place of the existing TS plugs, connect the signal conductor to the tip, and the shield to the shield, and leave the ring not connected as per the instructions from the tech support email you got. And here again if hum still exists you may need to implement the same lifting of the shield at the RCA jack as I described with the tape out to console input cabling.

Looks like I was just using RCA-to-TS cables, for the output at least since those are still on the back of the machine. I don't know what I was using for input, but I suspect it was probably the same and I just got lucky.

Yeah, it is all dependent on the individual devices being used. Always good to reference the operations manuals and review the connections instructions. It does get more complex when you are interfacing balanced with unbalanced gear. In your case jpmorris, it’s possible your console (or whatever you were using) also had unbalanced I/O on TS jacks.

Yes, looks like the Soundcraft desk I was using at the time was designed to accept either TS or balanced TRS. ("Note that the ring must be grounded if the source is unbalanced.")

Back