Tascam MSR-16 service

The Actor

Wish me luck. I'm going to send the rec/repro head of my Tascam MSR-16 in for relapping. I'm sending it to David Hill of Tapematic in the UK, the official relapping company for Studer, Otari, Fostex and Tascam. Very friendly guy with some 30 years of experience. According to David, my rec/repro head wil be better than new. Can't wait to receive my better than new part ... If you'd like, take a look at the head as it is:
_MG_3809.jpg
_MG_3827.jpg

I'll let you know how the process is coming along. Bye for now!

Sure ZeroKool, the company is called Tapematic
The person you would want to talk to is David Hill. Sending him a direct e-mail is probably the best way to go: tapeteknew1@btconnect.com

Tel +44 1787 220266
Fax +44 1787 224843
GSM +44 7836 626133
Tapematic - CD DVD Digital Printer, Cylindrical Digital Printer, Industrial Inkjet module, Sputtering System, CD DVD Replication Lines

Hangar 3 Lodge Farm
Nightingale Hall Road
Earls Colne Airfield
Colchester, Essex
CO6 2NR

I have sent my head to the UK and it should have arrived by now. Very anxious to see what Mister Hill can do ...

According to David the head is finished ... and perfect! 'Looks lovely', he writes. I'm anxiously waiting for the mail man to breing me my package. Meanwhile, I have rotated the tape lifters so that the worn part is on the opposite side of the tape path. I've used a good set of pliars for this (see photos) and applied a good deal of force to get a good grip. Of course there's some minor scratching, but by holding the pliars next to the base plate, this doesn't interfere with the tape path. Good for another couple of years of recording ...

IMG_7398.jpg
IMG_7397.jpg

_MG_4402.jpg
_MG_4405.jpg

Picked the head up at the post office and brought it home. Wow, that looks amazing ... can't wait to mount it on my MSR-16. I'll keep you posted.

Back