Tascam M224 Mixing Board

SouthSIDE Glen

independentrecording.net
Any old analog-ies here have any knowledge/experience with this board - e.g. noise level, pre quality, EQ sound, etc.?

G.

Thanks, bro. Kinda what I suspected, sounds more like an oversized consumer-quality box rather than a small pro-style one. No phantom power? Yikes.

Was curious; saw one on eBay. It looked like a fun match for an old 3340 deck (I'm an old Teac/Tascam hobby guy from way back), but it sounds like it's pretty poor even for something like that.

G.

Thanks, bro. Kinda what I suspected, sounds more like an oversized consumer-quality box rather than a small pro-style one. No phantom power? Yikes.

Was curious; saw one on eBay. It looked like a fun match for an old 3340 deck (I'm an old Teac/Tascam hobby guy from way back), but it sounds like it's pretty poor even for something like that.

G.

24 channels might be a little overkill for a 4-track. Thought about the Models 3, 5, 30, or 35? All can be hot-rodded. The 5 & 35 are modular making it a bit easier, if so inclined.

24 channels might be a little overkill for a 4-track. Thought about the Models 3, 5, 30, or 35? All can be hot-rodded. The 5 & 35 are modular making it a bit easier, if so inclined.
Nah, just a passing fancy. I saw that board and was not familiar with it, so I was just curious. I used to have a 3340, but I sold that over 25 years ago.

G.

Glen,

The M200 series are very nice mixers. I've had the M216 since 1989 (bought new) and the M208 for about ten years. The thing about the M224 is that the power supply is a little on the shy side, so it is a bit noisier than the M216 or M208. They used the same PS as the M216 and the eight extra channels are just a bit too much for it.

I can recommend the M216 if that's enough channels for you.

What I like about them is they are really compact, light and easy to mod, which I do a lot of. They sound pretty decent stock, but I've moded my M208 with newer op-amps and metal film resistors. It's very clean and quiet.

Each channel is on a separate card... it's a very nice design for a low-cost mixer. They're comparable to the Studiomaster and Mackie mixers of the same era (mid 80's).

The EQ is not transparent, but it has a certain character that I like. The pres are pretty decent for a small board. I like them better than some of the later Tascam stuff.

The mic inputs are electronically balanced, but no phantom power. I use external phantom power anyway so that's no big deal for me. I've really grown to like the M200 over the years and I use them as my main consoles for recording. They’ve never given me any trouble in all these years... still work like new.

~Tim

:)

Thanks for the info, Tim. I was hoping you'd chime in on this one ;).

Again, I'm not really in the market at the moment, just gathering info because I tripped across this mixer on eBay yesterday and was unfamiliar with it. It had that vintage Tascam look to it and it just got me curious.

You'd think someone would have a power supply mod for that thing. A phantom power mod would be real nice too.

G.

Back