Tascam M-600 opinions and/or pdf manual

ethyrvalve

Norman Nanoweber
Hi all,

I'm beginning to think about acquiring a new mixer in the next year-or-so. I currently use an M-520, which I love, but I'm starting to yearn for a bit more functionality.

There's an M-3500 for sale locally, which inspired me to download and study the manual. I need a bit more time to save up so I reckon this thing will be gone by the time I'm ready to buy. (And it didn't seem like quite enough of an upgrade to justify the hassle of redoing the patch bays and making a bunch of new cables).

But i'm really intrigued by the M-600, which seems to come up for sale quite frequently. I can't find any documentation online for that one though. Anyone out there have any details? Even some up-close photos would be super-helpful.

Hi Allen,
Wow I have no idea. hmmm maybe $500 Canadian dollars when the day comes?
But I really can't sell it until I find a bigger mixer that fits my budget (which may take a while).

Pete! That's you with the Bottle Garden?? GCalo sent me a link to your homepage yesterday...he came across your website while surfing. Neat site!

Hmmm...supposedly discrete mic amps, 4-band eq with sweeps on the mids, 8 auxes, 16 groups...16 monitor returns on the right of the master section and I believe 16, 24 and 32 input frame sizes...you probably already know that...I believe the 5532 opamp is heavily used.

I may have some pictures but they are on another drive elsewhere...I'll ry to remember to get to them and send you a link.

Beware of the DSUB I/O...I think all the line ins and outs are all on DSUBs intended to go to the patchbay...if you find a board without the patchbay OR the DSUB cables get ready for a headache.

It was their flagship, replaced by the M-5000 I believe...

I'm really excited about my Soundtracs MX board though...I have a "Story" thread going on it if you want more info. I passed on a local M-600 with patchbay and all the DSUB cables for $200...meter bridge was missing...I already have the Soundtracs which has great headroom and is a true Brit desk and has enough input strips that I have all the channels I need for sources and STILL 16 channels left for dedicated return strips for the Ampex when I have it running in 16-track trim...

Hey thanks for the info (and the kind words) Cory!

I must confess that I'd mistakenly assumed that Soundtraks were exclusively FOH mixers.

I must also confess that at least a small part of the reason I'm looking for the M-600 manual is because I derive some kind of sick pleasure from reading 1980s Tascam lit.

It was their flagship, replaced by the M-5000 I believe...
There was also the M-700!

An in-line 40 in/40 out mixer, designed for their brief stint with 24 and 32 track 2" ATR-90 series machines.

It retailed for $69,000 and weighed 707 pounds! :eek:

Cheers! :)

Back