Tascam FW-1804 for 175, buy it?

gdavi1

I have a chance to purchase a Tascam FW-1804 for 175 with software. I know it goes for around 500 brand new. I have been looking for a firewire interface to upgrade from the behringer usb mixer i have now. I just want a good amount of inputs with decent preamps. Should i buy it?

At that price, I dont see why not....IF it works.
I have heard so much bad stuff about those puppies that Im kinda weary of buying one myself, though I was and am tempted to, they just seem like such a good deal.
Maybe someone else with real hands on experience can pitch in here.

Mike

Alot of review i have heard said they seem to be flawless on macs and thats what im running so i can only hope for the best worse comes to worse i guess the resale value would be around the same as im purchasing

I've been running one on a Mac for 3 years now. It's been great. In the beginning I was just thrilled by 8 ins to my mac via Firewire--though I never really used all of 'em at the time!

Now, it's still the "hub of connectivity" in my studio, with 8 more preamp channels coming through it via ADAT, and external pre's in 6 of the 8 Tascam channels--for a total of 16. (BTW-- the Tascam pres are fine--should definitely be better than your Behringer).

Don't know if you do MIDI, but the midi connections are great too. I use those as well.

If you end up getting it, PM me if you need any help with it. Like I said, I've been using mine to death for quite a while. (Oh yeah--I paid $600 for mine!)

I have a chance to purchase a Tascam FW-1804 for 175 with software. I know it goes for around 500 brand new. I have been looking for a firewire interface to upgrade from the behringer usb mixer i have now. I just want a good amount of inputs with decent preamps. Should i buy it?
Definitely! I've got one. I like it so far. I got it for around £200($400) i think. Only got 4 preamps, but is easily upgraded to 8 n 16. Has a nice little line/guitar input on the front too :D. It's pretty easy to use.

I had the 8 input model with control surface, I forget the model number.

I liked it, had to get rid of it cos I moved and had less space. It's nothing special but considering the price the pres/converters etc. were just fine and I had no problems with stability (on a 3.0ghz Pentium PC with 1 gig of RAM running, XP, SP2).

That's what i've got. :D
Pretty low spec these days, it was the cat’s pyjama’s when I got it 3-4 years ago. :D

I’m still really happy with it though, doesn’t seem to break a sweat doing all the crap I get it to do.

(Cue exploding PC when I get home tonight :rolleyes:).

No you shouldn't get it. You should, however, put me in contact with whoever was going to sell it to you... :D

Been wanting one of those for quite some time.

Fw1804

I bought one back when they came out 4 years or so ago and I'm still running it problem free on my older PC notebook. So I'm not too familiar with the troubles others have had with it. I say at $175 it's a no brainer.

Cheers,
Clit

i run a g4 1.07 ibook with it and its flawless... the pres are pretty decent for this price range and Ive got to say, compared to the 8pre motu running on a dualcore PC that my old guitarist runs, mine stands up better w/no latency and no dropouts like his... but It is a frickin mac! I got mine @ $185 and couldnt be happier with the price vs quality...

Back