Tascam dp008 - SD Card Full message

Addos

I’ve been happily using my Tascam dp008 for a long long time now but today ran into trouble. Before I start recording I always clear my (8gb) SD card and anything else on the dp 008 system. I recorded a solo guitar today and it was around 1:15 mins. When I try to export it as I’ve always done I get the message ‘The SD Card is full’. I can’t understand what is going wrong as I have tried reading the manual and following everything there but nothing works. I tried inserting the SD card direct into my Mac Book but it’s showing the 3 files empty. I’ve tried using a different SD card in the Tascam but it’s saying there are no files/songs on the system. I’ve tried connecting the Dp 008 direct to the Mac and again the folders are showing empty. So it’s very frustrating as I can’t find anything on the net in relation to this issue. When I put the original SD back into the dp 008 I can hear the recording I made so at this stage it at least seems that the recording is still there but I just can’t extract it.

Has anybody any ideas as to what this might be? The system is as up to date as it can be too! I’ve never had issues before and always just exported an unedited track and did nay editing on the Mac form there.

I’m thinking at this stage of maybe getting a conversion adaptor from the tascam headphone output to go to a usb port and maybe play/record this onto the mac.

Any ideas?
B

I am no expert here but I had this trouble with my DP-004 and what I did not do was create a new song first so I think it saw the whole partition as the song even though what I actually recorded was quite short. I have a DP-03 now and create and name a new song each time I record something. I hope this makes sense and helps.

Thanks for that. That does actually make sense to me and as my recording went over a good hour which normally doesn't I can see that this might not of helped either. Thing is, I still don't know how to retrieve the audio.

Thanks for the help as it at least gives me something to think about.

My guess would be that 1:15:00:00 might just be too much for that partition to save for export as a wav. Have you tried song back-up instead? If you can do that you could work back and forth between your recorder and computer erasing or cutting it down to more manageable bits or if you can copy and paste a smaller piece onto another partition (not familiar with your recorder) and export from there. I do recommend beginning your sessions by creating and naming a song for each project you start if you are not already doing so and not recording for so long, I work on songs so I keep my files to about 3 - 5 minutes. I do not see any reason you could not come out of your RCA outs to another recorder (be careful here as my DP-03 routes the mastered song signal by-passing the master fader to the RCA outs so it is a full and very loud signal, turn your inputs down all the way if your feeding another recorder or powered monitors.) Well there is a few things to chew the fat on, hope it helps you a little.

How is this going for everyone? I guess that was the solution since there aren't anymore replies?
I am having the same problem. I did name the song but after I recorded it. Again for me as well. I deleted everything off of the card while the dp-006 was connected to a mac via the usb port. However, the dp acts like the card is still full.

I usually have nothing to do with these digital devices but Jim does. Everyone was so convinced that these were way better than tape but I see nothing for trouble comments with them so I guess they are not all that great after all. In Professional Radio we abandoned Mini disc and went to SD cards. Well then the fun began. The cards had a security setting that did not allow the other studio to see what was on the card- what good is a SD card for Radio if you make something and then can not play it back on the air- this caused some aggravation to the Engineers but we started to see the down side of Digital. It was figured out but these cards are fragile and not as all reliable as a Cart. They seemed to fail all the time.

In Professional Radio we abandoned Mini disc and went to SD cards. Well then the fun began. The cards had a security setting that did not allow the other studio to see what was on the card- what good is a SD card for Radio if you make something and then can not play it back on the air- this caused some aggravation to the Engineers but we started to see the down side of Digital. It was figured out but these cards are fragile and not as all reliable as a Cart. They seemed to fail all the time.
Sounds to me like the folks implementing the devices using the SD cards put their "security settings" in the format. I've never had an issue with any SD card recording from any of my 4 cameras or 3 digital recorders not being readable in a computer. Obviously my Sanyo camera can't read the format of my Zoom H4 or even my Canon camera, but that's not a fault of the SD card.

I've also never had an SD card die on me. I've had 1 512KB compact flash card and 1 USB stick die, out of the dozens I've got. I have had flash drives and SD cards go through the laundry cycle and come out perfectly fine after a good rinse in distilled water and drying.

I doubt a NAB cart would stand up to even the delicate cycle of my washer, although I'm sure it would never make it that far. They really don't fit in your pocket......

We were using early release Marantz rack units and I found out when production would make a cut and then bring it to the air studio that it would not play. Some investigation indicated that there was a security setting that was on by default- what a stupid idea, so that it would not play in another unit without something well we turned it off I think- it was 12 years ago now at Moody and they moved out of the building and now probably have all computer supplied audio like everyone else. Who knows what they did with those?

We were using early release Marantz rack units and I found out when production would make a cut and then bring it to the air studio that it would not play. Some investigation indicated that there was a security setting that was on by default- what a stupid idea, so that it would not play in another unit without something well we turned it off I think- it was 12 years ago now at Moody and they moved out of the building and now probably have all computer supplied audio like everyone else. Who knows what they did with those?
Bingo!

I’ve been happily using my Tascam dp008 for a long long time now but today ran into trouble. Before I start recording I always clear my (8gb) SD card and anything else on the dp 008 system. I recorded a solo guitar today and it was around 1:15 mins. When I try to export it as I’ve always done I get the message ‘The SD Card is full’. I can’t understand what is going wrong as I have tried reading the manual and following everything there but nothing works. I tried inserting the SD card direct into my Mac Book but it’s showing the 3 files empty. I’ve tried using a different SD card in the Tascam but it’s saying there are no files/songs on the system. I’ve tried connecting the Dp 008 direct to the Mac and again the folders are showing empty. So it’s very frustrating as I can’t find anything on the net in relation to this issue. When I put the original SD back into the dp 008 I can hear the recording I made so at this stage it at least seems that the recording is still there but I just can’t extract it.

Has anybody any ideas as to what this might be? The system is as up to date as it can be too! I’ve never had issues before and always just exported an unedited track and did nay editing on the Mac form there.

I’m thinking at this stage of maybe getting a conversion adaptor from the tascam headphone output to go to a usb port and maybe play/record this onto the mac.

Any ideas?
B
I had a similar problem once and I actually had to go in and delete other project songs in order to make the space for the export. Fortunately for me though I had started many songs and abandoned them with no intentions in returning to them. If you've already exported tracks from a different song and have them on your computer then deleting off your tascam won't be the end of the world. You be losing nothing at that point. Its worth a shot

Show hidden files and folders on your PC or mac - there should be a trash folder, delete all files in that folder and that should free up space to export recordings.

Back