Tascam 48 Pinch Roller

You mean the capstan motor. If the capstan isn't turning, you have a motor problem. Could be that one of the drive transistors has gone south. If it is turning but the pinch roller isn't, you probably need to clean or replace the pinch roller.

well folks, here's an update.
I got one reply from Joe Stumpf http://fieldengineer.homestead.com/
and he told me that it would be about $700.00 to repair this Tascam 48.
I emailed a few other people also, who told me to check the fuses, etc.
I replaced ALL of the fuses, to no avail.

I called Tascam for a capstan motor and they said they don't have one and don't no where to get one..
I talked to techs in Nashville and they said they couldn't help me either. I found capstan motors for the 38 but not the 48.
Rolf was very helpful and the guys at Save on Sound said they would get back to me.
It's a bummer because I have a few more tracks to record and I wanted to get this project out, done and finished before Xmas.

Yes, it could be the PCB, but I'm willing to bet the motor is shot.
Anyway, I did find a guy in Dallas that will look at it and maybe be able to help me.
I see "parts" all the time for Tascam 38's and a few 58"s, (on ebay) but not the 48. I guess they weren't a popular deck.

Anyway, thanks for everyones' suggestions, and help!!!

Randal Berry

Strange how the motor just died without a whimper though. Windings or bearings are the usual point of failure. If the bearings failed you would definitely hear it and it would take some time. If the windings shorted catastrophically I would expect a blown fuse.

When I think of the capstan motor I’m thinking of the whole assembly with all the supporting components. I probably didn’t make that very clear in my earlier post.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it was a 50-cent capacitor, transistor or maybe a relay.

The Motor itself can fail, but they don’t usually go so quietly.

If it were me I would trace power back starting with where the wires attach to the motor, but I don’t know if you’re used to poking around with a multi-meter… so yeah, if not it will definitely cost you to have it done.

The bad thing about trying to locate spare parts, such as a motor, at this point you can’t be sure what has failed. :(

Also, test the motor with an external power source. The capstan motor on the 48 is DC and probably 24 volts, but I’m not certain about the voltage. The operation/maintenance manual should say. Just find the positive wire and ground wire on the motor and see if it spins with external power. Even a lower than rated voltage should move it and let you know if it’s working. So if it is 24VDC, a 12 or 15VDC power source should make it spin.

Tim,
You are probably right. I don't know what went wrong. I didn't hear any "rumblings" like bearings, etc. I did notice the night before the capstan stopped turning, was during a playback. I then stopped the deck and waited about 10 min. and hit play and everything was fine.

The next day, after I cued the tape and hit play, it started and the deck slowed like I unplugged it, sort of a wirrrr LOL if you get my meaning.
However, this guy will check this out right after Xmas, and I'm sure he will look and test everything. Ya know, he did tell me that he had worked on tape decks for 30 years and only had to replace 1 capstan motor during that time!

Thanks everyone for listening to my tales of whoa.
Randal

Randal, it would indeed be in your favor to pay a tech an evaluation fee to check your recorder, from top to bottom. At the worst, you've lost 75 bucks, or whatever the fee, but you'll know exactly what the issue is and you can opt to have it fixed or not, rather than fumbling in the dark and worse yet, purchasing parts which may or may not fix anything, as Tim pointed out.

Sorry you still having problems, I bet it's the power supply board that needs attention.
These motors don't go out that easy:)
Keep us updated

Thanks everyone! I'll be driving it down to Dallas on the day after New Years to a tech. I'll print out all of the suggestions that you guy's have offered, hoping he'll check those out.

I'll keep everyone updated as soon as I get back, and I hope everyone has a Happy Holiday Season!

Thanks,
Randal

Hey Guys, as promised, an update on my Tascam 48.
This is an email from Mike Moree from Audio Specialties Company in Dallas.

The problem I found was that the Capstan motor drive transistor had opened. I also think it was due to the bad pinch roller that was on your machine. It was very mushy, therefore putting the wrong amount of pinch roller pressure on the Capstan motor shaft. Finally it took this output transistor out. There were also signs of heat, and hairline cracks around each of the three solder points of this transistor. Replaced with upgrade and enlarged solder joints, runs cool as a cucumber. Ran several hours for testing, and no heat build-up. Reset machine speed...everything OK. Did not have any VU lamps. Talk to you soon."
"LONG LIVE ANALOG".
Mike

I am SO relieved! Now I gotta take my 38 to him and get that back to square one. Mike did a tremendous job and this guy LOVES Analog!

Thanks everybody for their replies, esp. Rolf!

Randal

P.S. Now I gotta find some VU lamps!

Man, that's great news Randal! :)

Now that we know what it was, I wonder what else might have caused the problems with the drive transistor going bad?:confused:

It's purely academic at this point, me wondering what the true cause of the bad drive transistor was (aside from the bad pinch roller which may have only assisted in the failure) but noting that VU lamps were out and that there were signs of heat, near the transistor, could it be that the 48 was such a high use machine that the transistor simply failed from overuse?

Yes, as soon as I can figure out how to download the photo!
Give me a day or so. 'cause Im a reptile keeper and have snakes to feed!
Randal

Yes, as soon as I can figure out how to download the photo!
Give me a day or so. 'cause Im a reptile keeper and have snakes to feed!
Randal

OK, reptile keeper:D

Upload the photos to here: http://www.photolava.com/

Then, copy and paste the LINK here.:)

That way, you won't be 'constricted' (no pun ;) ) by the small file size offered by this board. Photo lava is the way to go. :)

Great you got it running again, be careful in the future now and use fresh tape.
Reptile keeper ? Hope it's not rattle snakes you are dealing with:confused:

Back