Tascam 388 Slow Rewind

Erockrazor

I mix in (2x) real-time
My Tascam 388 started acting up yesterday.

Play and fast forward work typically and rewind is going slow. Probably slower than 1 IPS. If I help the reels spin, it can keep up the speed but still won't go near the normal speed.

I've cleaned the tape path and that doesn't seem to be the issue and I'm not using sticky shed. I want to know if there might be something else to try before assuming that the motor is kaput.

Can anyone help me out with this?

Thanks, Eric

Reel Servo

If you view the tension rollers, left & right, while tape is loaded and in "Play" motion,... the centers of the tension rollers should be even with an imaginary line that's drawn and extends from the BOTTOM EDGE of the capstan and idler rollers.

IF the geometry of the tension arms to this imaginary line is not correct, the reel-servo card can be adjusted for RH/LH Tension Arm Position, which when placed in the correct physical orientation will miraculously be the correct amount of servo/feedback-loop position, -or however you'd like to think of it-, that the FF/RW efficiency should go back to normal.

Consult the manual for details.

Try it.:eek: ;)

The slow rewind on the 388 might be a simple servo adjustment. On either side of the headstack is a movable roller that works as part of the tape tensioning system. These are servo linked and work to control the reel motor speed in all modes. Try this: with the 388 in rewind, GENTLY push the left hand tensioner down (toward the control panel, not down like vertical). Also try the right hand tensioner the same way. If the tape speeds up, then there is an adjustment you can make to re-position the tension arm and thus regulate the rewind speed. Rather then explain the adjustment now, try this diagnostic first then I can fo into more detail.
This helped me out, all i need now is to get the break adjusted. Anyone know how?

Don't know that this will help but...

Sometimes when I have the deck on, and not recording or playing back tracks at the moment and just listening to the mixdown deck through the 388's mixer for awhile, I will manually spool the reels just enough to loosen the tape and let the tensioners down so the motors can turn off while they aren't needed.

What will often happen when I cinch them back up is that the transport will be all wonky, like you describe above. What I have to do then is get the tape in the correct position then shut off/ switch back on the deck with a quick reset and everything works fine again.

In any case, hope whatever issues you've got with your machine clear up for you.

M

PS-Eric, I dig the crazy chords and changes on the tunes on your cd. Great!

God, I love you Shedshrine. Thanks for the kind words and the kind measure!

I tried to post this earlier but apparently I forgot to submit the post! :eek:

Okay, so I was able to fix the problem.

For me the process went as follows:

Reel Servo Tension Roller Adjustment

The following process CAN help/cure playback, fast forward, and rewind issues on your Tascam 388. A simple adjustment to the Reel Servo "knobs" can adjust how your tape machine does these functions.

Step 1: First, power on your 388. Take off top cover of 388, behind the VU meters and above the in's and out's. Do it gently as to not harm your pride and joy.

Step 2: After cover removal, find the section of about 8 "knobs". They are above the tape window in a vertical orientation. They don't look exactly like "knobs" but that's why I'm putting quotations around it. If anyone can inform me the technical name for it, please do!

Step 3: Press play on your tape recorder.

Step 4: While tape is in motion, find the "knobs" named R 112 and R 212. These are the adjusters for the Tension Rollers.

A Reel Person's suggested Tension Roller orientation.
"The centers of the tension rollers should be even with an imaginary line that's drawn and extends from the BOTTOM EDGE of the capstan and idler rollers."

For me, my tension rollers worked best a little lower than A Reel Person's suggestion.

Step 5: Watch the adjustments made to your rollers. Try playback fast forward and rewind. Work until you find an adjustment where everything is working well.

Step 6: Feel great about yourself because; no, it's not a dead motor, no, it's not the end of your 388, and yes, you just fixed your most prized recording possession.

The beauty of this DIY fix up, is that you can't really screw up your 388 in the process if you just stick to the aforementioned process. It's all mechanical and you can fiddle until it works up to your standard. Another positive thing, is that none of this altered my play/record speed and that's the most important thing on this board!

Now go record something!!!!!!

Thanks!!!

Wow, this thread from 4 years ago really saved me! Thanks for that step-by-step explanation! A minor turn of R 112 and R 212 solved what I thought was a motor issue. (my deck was rewinding at a very slow rate) So happy I checked this board before loading the 388 in the car and taking it to be serviced!

God, I love you Shedshrine. Thanks for the kind words and the kind measure!

I tried to post this earlier but apparently I forgot to submit the post! :eek:

Okay, so I was able to fix the problem.

For me the process went as follows:

Reel Servo Tension Roller Adjustment

The following process CAN help/cure playback, fast forward, and rewind issues on your Tascam 388. A simple adjustment to the Reel Servo "knobs" can adjust how your tape machine does these functions.

Step 1: First, power on your 388. Take off top cover of 388, behind the VU meters and above the in's and out's. Do it gently as to not harm your pride and joy.

Step 2: After cover removal, find the section of about 8 "knobs". They are above the tape window in a vertical orientation. They don't look exactly like "knobs" but that's why I'm putting quotations around it. If anyone can inform me the technical name for it, please do!

Step 3: Press play on your tape recorder.

Step 4: While tape is in motion, find the "knobs" named R 112 and R 212. These are the adjusters for the Tension Rollers.

A Reel Person's suggested Tension Roller orientation.

For me, my tension rollers worked best a little lower than A Reel Person's suggestion.

Step 5: Watch the adjustments made to your rollers. Try playback fast forward and rewind. Work until you find an adjustment where everything is working well.

Step 6: Feel great about yourself because; no, it's not a dead motor, no, it's not the end of your 388, and yes, you just fixed your most prized recording possession.

The beauty of this DIY fix up, is that you can't really screw up your 388 in the process if you just stick to the aforementioned process. It's all mechanical and you can fiddle until it works up to your standard. Another positive thing, is that none of this altered my play/record speed and that's the most important thing on this board!

Now go record something!!!!!!

Hi - I think I've been having similar problems to this, but I don't seem to be able to fix it. For a while, the rewind, then fastforward, motion/tension had been decreasing. I didn't use the Tascam for about a year, and now the fast forward and rewind motors don't seem to work at all. The capstan is fine (I replaced the belt some time ago).

Pressing fast forward or rewind has the effect of unlocking the locks on both reels - thus, if there's tension on the tape (it's wound), hitting either button will release that tension. Same for "play" - and once the tension is released, the lever on the right is released so the play stops. I'm sure if I wound the right reel manually, it would work fine.

I'm not sure if I'm adjusting the tension roller adjustments correctly. They seem to be simply a hole with a movable ring of metal with a nub attached to it - you can rotate this via the nub. Is this actually how you're supposed to adjust this thing? It seems to have no effect.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Back