Tascam 388 channel 3 no repro

rdoearth

Hello everyone this is my first post!

I inherited a Tascam 388 and it has a problem on Channel 3.

I am able to record to all eight channels and I can get output from the tape out on channel 3 but there is no activity on the meter and no output from the main bus. There is also no activity from the VU Meter for channel 3.

I have tried swapping the audio cards with another card in the same unit and the same problem exists. Could it still be a dirty connection? What else might be the problem?

I am considering selling this unit once I get the problem squared away. I am in the Atlanta Georgia area.

Attachments

• 20211206_062217.jpg
    20211206_062217.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 3
Greetings.

So everything else works with mixer channel 3? The line and mic input work and you can pass audio through that mixer channel?

And just to verify, you swapped the tape track 1 & 3 amp card with another amp card and the problem stayed with mixer channel 3, no tape playback through channel 3 but you get good tape playback from the TAPE OUT 3 jack?

Hi sweetbeats, yes that is correct. I did not however test with a mic, just the line in. I tested all 8 channel line ins in fact. I am able to route any line in to any track. It records the input to channel 3 and I can hear it from channel 3 tape out, just not from the main outputs.

And the meter issue…so do I understand correctly at no point under any conditions can you get any activity on meter #3?

I am able to hear an output from channel 3 on the PGM out. I still have no activity on The vu meter during playback though, only during recording and monitoring of the inputs. I also just discovered that I cannot pan left on channel 2.

Another interesting piece of information. When I press the monitor button in or out I get a loud pop from the speaker and the Vu meter on track 3 pins momentarily.

Also, when I first turn on the unit the meter for channel 3 moves, but it is the only meter that does move.

I am able to hear an output from channel 3 on the PGM out. I still have no activity on The vu meter during playback though, only during recording and monitoring of the inputs. I also just discovered that I cannot pan left on channel 2.
Can you clarify if when you say “channel 3” you actually mean track 3? I’m getting confused because you’re using these terms interchangeably but they’re not interchangeable. Channel refers to a mixer channel. Track refers to a tape track.

I think you have multiple issues going on. I’m focusing on one at a time.

I wanted to know if you can monitor track 3 through the monitor mixer. Can you check that?

Another interesting piece of information. When I press the monitor button in or out I get a loud pop from the speaker and the Vu meter on track 3 pins momentarily.
Yes. I think you have a problem with the electronic meter source switching. But again, one thing at a time.

No they are not. Turn up the level of channel 3 of the monitor mixer, and then over to the right of transport controls is the monitor source select switch. Set it to MON, turn up the headphones level and see if you can hear track 3.

Thanks for your patience with me. I need to make sure I have a clear understanding. while playing back a tape, I turned up channel 3 of the monitor mix, and set the monitor source switch to the down position (Red LED On) and I get no output to the phones on any channel, including channel 3. If however I set the monitor switch to the up position (LED not lit) then I get output to the phones on all channels EXCEPT 3.

Last edited:
I think what you are calling the monitor source switch is the track arming switch. I don’t know. The monitor source switches I directed you to over to the right of the transport controls do not have LEDs. Are you talking about the row of switches to the right of the monitor mixer?

I’m talking about pressing the switch down that is circled in red:

1F6801BC-C804-4C6A-A415-961C028588FE.jpeg

So push that switch down and do the following:

1. Ensure all 8 L-R assign switches on the input channel strips are in the up position

2. Ensure the CUE/PGM switch is in the CUE or up position

3. Ensure all the track arming switches are in the off or up position

4. Turn up the level knob of monitor mixer channel 3. Turn the 7 other level knobs fully counter clockwise.

The machine is now setup to monitor tape track 3 in the headphones when you press PLAY. so adjust your headphone level, and press PLAY. Can you hear tape track 3?

Thank you for clarifying. No I do not hear anything from track 3 doing what you said, nor do I get any activity from the Vu meter.

I appreciate your assistance sweetbeats! I have other gear I will be keeping so you may see my name pop up again later.

You’re welcome. I was intending on continuing to look at this, it just takes time, and often I go days without having the opportunity to dig further on these things.

Back