Tascam 320 vs 520

A. Lacy

Hey all,

Currently looking at getting an old console. I found an:

- M320 on FaceBook for $800 (untested)
- M520 on Craigslist for $400 (tested)

Looking for info on the:

- The sound quality of both
- Build quality of both (I'd like to be able to fix it if I need to)
- Any other thoughts

Thanks in advance!

The 500 series was more expensive than the 300 series. It probably has more function and perhaps better performance.

Oh gotcha. The 520 has better routing from what I've found, but do you know anything about the pres?

Oh gotcha. The 520 has better routing from what I've found, but do you know anything about the pres?
IMHO- TASCAM has never made a really good mic pre. They aren't awful but they lack the transient response needed to capture drums & bass to my satisfaction.

I actually have a lot of thoughts on this question but don’t have the time to vomit them all here at the moment. But I have extensive…extensive experience with both series of Tascam consoles and if it was me, if the condition of both was the same, it would be a no brainer to pay half as much and get the M-520.

I’ll follow up with the “why” of my recommendation later.

I actually have a lot of thoughts on this question but don’t have the time to vomit them all here at the moment. But I have extensive…extensive experience with both series of Tascam consoles and if it was me, if the condition of both was the same, it would be a no brainer to pay half as much and get the M-520.

I’ll follow up with the “why” of my recommendation later.
Would love to hear it!

What I like about the M-300 series is the fact the signal path is based on the 5532 opamp. IIRC there are also some 2041 parts on the outputs which is fine. The M-500 is all 072, 2041 and 4556, which is fine, I just prefer the 5532. I think it and, generally speaking, signal paths based around it, sound nice to my ears. I also like the augmented monitor mixer on the M-312 and M-320 with the additional sends (AUX 3 & 4) compared to the M-500 series monitor mixer…there’s just more flexibility there. The M-300 series also have a smaller footprint than the equivalent M-500 series consoles (the 12 and 20 channel models), which may not be as impressive to your clientele, but it sure is nice if you have limited space or are regularly hauling the console. Another thing I like about the M-300 series is the direct access to a dedicated stereo summing buss. The architecture is more familiar to most people with direct assignment from input channels to mono summing groups and the L-R buss, and then the monitor select setup is also more familiar. The M-500 has all the same functionality and more, but is setup to be more flexible and as a result can take some getting used to. The M-300 series is also more straight-forward for FOH applications with the aforementioned L-R buss and mono feed with its own fader off the main buss. Again, the M-500 can *do* all this, it’s just not readily apparent to most folks until they get used to an M-500. Lastly, while I’m not really jazzed by either EQ section, I like the M-300 EQ better because the hi band is shelving. I’m really not a fan of the hi and lo bands being peaking on any EQ when there are no shelving filters.

So that’s what I like about the M-300 series that I feel is distinct from the M-500 series.

Now for the M-500 series…

8 mono mix busses on the M-500 vs 4 mono and one stereo mix buss on the M-300…you can use the 8 mono mix busses any way you like…group two for stereo.

Inputs: 16 tape returns on the M-520 vs 8 on the M-320…each input module has two separate line inputs…2 dedicated hi-Z instrument inputs and L-R phono inputs on channels 1~4. 2 dedicated 2-track returns with inline monitoring access.

Phase reverse on each input.

Phantom power…individually switched per channel…and keep in mind the first generation of the M-300 series didn’t have phantom power at all.

1 more AUX buss on the inputs and greater source flexibility for each pair (inline monitoring, PRE, POST, etc.)…with MUTE function per pair. AUX masters on faders instead of pots.

SOLO in place in addition to PFL.

16 channel monitor mixer on the M520 vs 8 on the M-320. Basically the M-520 is setup for 16-track recording and the M-320 is setup for 8-track.

Speaking of monitoring, my M-300 and M-500 spares are buried at the moment, but I think I’m recalling this correctly the monitor select switchrack on the M-500 series is not radio button style where only one source can be selected at a time. All the switches are latching. The M-300 series you can pick one source at a time to monitor. This is a subtle but important difference…basically on the M-500 you have the flexibility of summing any or all of the sources available in the switchrack.

Metering…more meters, and cool external loop function…the PGM group meters can be used to monitor anything you can patch into them, including many patch points on the backplane…super unique and flexible/useful feature.

Onboard test tone generator.

Aesthetics: this is personal preference, and both the M-300 and M-500 series are good looking consoles IMO, but I personally think the M-500 takes the cake on pure looks between the two.

Structural engineering design: the M-500 series consoles are easier to disassemble and service, and the frame is heavier duty…a mix of formed steel and extruded aluminum channel. All metal XLR jacks that are panel mounted instead of plastic and PCB mounted…numerous facets that demonstrate this difference with the M-500 series consoles.

Balanced outputs…the M-300 has 6 balanced outputs tied to the 4 mono and 1 stereo summing busses. They are driven directly by +/-15V powered opamps. Not uncommon, but definitely not on par with the M-500 series, which has a unique 8-channel BALANCE AMP section to basically bump and balance ANY unbalanced -10dBv output to +4 or +8dBu nominal, and it does it using a discrete transistor output driver powered by +/-18V power…higher headroom and better sound. Bump and balance any source either from the console or external to the console. Again, the M-500 series is riddled with innovative flexibility.

Power supply: the M-520 rack-mounted PS-520 external power supply has tons more beef than the M-320 power supply. Now, this is due in part to the fact the M-520 has over twice the number of amplifier stages using active devices (opamps) compared to the M-320, but the PS-520 main transformer is capable of handling about 4x the theoretical maximum demand of the M-520. It’s a chunk. It’s over-engineered.

That’s a pretty good list. It’s important to keep in mind though the M-500 series *is* a higher tier console compared to the M-300…hence the higher model number. So it is bound to have more or better features. And the original question was which one to get…hopefully the above explains why my choice is the M-520 for half the price of the M-320.

A few general comments…

So, yeah, if pushed to state a preference, I like the M-500 series better. But as a related aside, you won’t find an 8-channel M-500 series console, and I think the M-308B is one of, if not the best mid-range 8x4 consoles you can find when you consider the full feature set, build and signal path.

Mic amps…I think both the M-500 and M-300 mic amps sound fine. I think they sound full. There are a ton of mid-price or budget consoles you can get. And different people equate “good” with different things. And it’s all relative to what an individual has experienced and what their needs and taste are. And when somebody gives a review of any sort of device or product we often don’t ask what that reviewer’s experience set is. So I’ll tell you my experience set ranges from what are, to me, great mic amps in my Studer console, to what I’ll categorize as crappy mic amps on a Behringer MX-802 mixer I used to have…took the life out of anything with any sort of dynamic range. And the Studer mic amps have life and sparkle and handle what you throw at them, clean and quiet, lots of gain range. And I’ve worked with many, many Tascam mic amps, as well as MOTU, Presonus, Yamaha, Allen & Heath, Audio Technica, Alesis, ART, Biamp, Mackie, and Soundtracs…and out of sheer curiosity looked at the circuit topology of most of those. The M-300 mic amp has a fairly common dual transistor input stage with an opamp following. There’s a fairly large polar bootstrap cap in there. The opamp is the 5532 which I like. I think the M-300 mic amp sounds good. It has a full sound. It has 44dB of gain. The M-500 mic amp utilizes 4 transistors up front, with an 072 following. There is also a fairly large bootstrap cap but the circuit design affords that cap to be non-polar. By the spec sheet the M-500 mic amp has 58dB of gain. I never had a problem with how it sounded. There was an earlier comment in this thread about how it handles transients. Who knows. The transistors are 1844 and 1815 parts which were widely used in a lot of audio gear…but maybe messing with those might do something with how the front end handles transients. Or maybe replacing the bootstrap cap with a higher quality audio-grade part would help. There’s also always the option of trying different opamps. The TL072 gets bastardized. It’s not a bad part and you’ll find it *everywhere*. Even in holy grail equipment. It’s not about the individual part. It’s about the whole circuit design. Anyway, I know something like the OPA2134 is an easy drop-in replacement for the 072 in this circuit. I’ve never tested the 5532 there. The 072 is a jfet part and the 5532 bi-fet. You can’t always put the bi-fet part in place of the jfet part. It depends on the circuit and you have to test it by first measuring the DC offset at the output of the stock part, and then install the 5532 and re-checking the DC offset. If there’s a significant increase then the 5532 is not happy in the circuit. I’ve never tested the 5532 in the M-500 mic amp. Now I’m curious to do that. Generally my experience is, when I can swap in a 5532 in place of an 072, the sound is more exciting or alive. Yes. This is all horribly subjective. But that’s the best way I can describe how I experience it. The signal path of my early 80s prototype Tascam console, the “Tascam M-__”, is, like the M-500, all based around 072, 2041 and 4556 parts. This is because it was a prototype for the M-50/M-500. The EQ section utilizes 6 TL072 opamps. The 5532 works as an upgrade for 3 of them. I like the change. The mic amp in the M-__ is identical to the M-50/M-500. It is also the the same mic amp as is found in the MX-80 rack-mount 8x2 mic mixer, which is a neat box. My point? The mic amp in the M-500 is more intricate with higher gain than the M-300 and most mid-range consoles from that era. And when you compare to more present day offerings you have a number of devices that have very basic garden-variety differential input circuits. But those are touted as “quiet” and “transparent”. Fine. I think the mic amp was more expensive to manufacture in the M-500 than many contemporaries as well as products that followed, and the marketing people are super good at convincing something is “better” that is cheaper for the manufacturer to produce. And all the while the designers and engineers are quietly dying inside because they know it’s not better. But that is how it goes. And the masses on the interwebs follow the words of the marketing people. And this is how it goes. So I’ll just say it is important to, when possible, try stuff out for yourself. And form your own opinions. Because your needs and ears and specific setup are unique. You’ll read plenty of negative opinions about the M-500 on the interwebs often without any frame of reference as to the reviewer’s background and experience with other gear, and, again, often the questions to fill in those gaps go un-asked. I know it’s not typically easy to just go try stuff out and compare. But that really is always the only thing that will inform you how a device or part of a device performs and works for you.

Okay…that’s probably too much.

A few general comments…

Haha! That was more than a few ‘general’ comments.

You went deep!

I’ve been more than happy with the 520 preamps and have seen no need for external preamps. They do what I want and I find them very pleasing sounding.

However, should I want to upgrade them, you put in your post plenty of info.
:-)

Haha! That was more than a few ‘general’ comments.

You went deep!

I’ve been more than happy with the 520 preamps and have seen no need for external preamps. They do what I want and I find them very pleasing sounding.

However, should I want to upgrade them, you put in your post plenty of info.
:-)
Yeah I’ve distracted myself now with the desire to test if the 5532 works in the M-500 mic amp…I have a couple spare M-500 input PCB assemblies pretty accessible. Would be pretty easy to hook them up on the bench and check…I just have several patients opened up on the workbench right now…grr.

Yeah I’ve distracted myself now ..........

I do think our OP is kind of looking for a general overview to decide on which desk to get. You know, pros and cons of each.

For myself I vote the 520. Arguably, I have zero experience with the other desk and am very biased towards the M520. But that bias is based on a long user history, not reading some posts on the net.

But who knows... The OP maybe has made a choice already, or even abandoned the idea. Haven’t heard too much from him . So it could be a mutual case of “talking to myself again” :-)

Well I’m here too lol. And hopefully my first of the two deep dive posts above (#7) addresses the general overview need. I agree. That’s what I think the OP is looking for. And yeah I think it’s a no-brainer.

Well I’m here too lol.

That’s why I said “mutual” 8-)

Bring it on! The info is priceless and archived for the long haul.

Do you realize, thanks to your efforts, there is more information available on the M series than there ever has been??

I’m sure there’s some old timer techs that knew plenty, but it’s all in their heads. And maybe some are mo longer with us.

You’re documenting it all.

Well I’m here too lol. And hopefully my first of the two deep dive posts above (#7) addresses the general overview need. I agree. That’s what I think the OP is looking for. And yeah I think it’s a no-brainer.
Wow. I feel like I have a lot more questions now 😂 But thank you for all of the info! I haven't gotten into the circuitry yet of consoles, but that's something I plan on getting into in the future.
I'll take your advice on getting the 512. Since you brought it up, do you know what I could google to learn more about console circuitry?

@RFR Sorry, life got busy the last couple of days. I appreciate your input! How do you use the 512 in your workflow?

I may not get it for a while honestly. The next couple of months are going to be pretty unstable in terms of my living situation. Who knows? If it's still on the market, the seller might drop the price even more

Wow. I feel like I have a lot more questions now 😂 But thank you for all of the info! I haven't gotten into the circuitry yet of consoles, but that's something I plan on getting into in the future.
I'll take your advice on getting the 512. Since you brought it up, do you know what I could google to learn more about console circuitry?

@RFR Sorry, life got busy the last couple of days. I appreciate your input! How do you use the 512 in your workflow?
I’m confused…the thread title is regarding comparing an M-320 to an M-520. Did you mean an M-512? Because that’s a really, really important difference. You’ll need to take care then to read the list of things I like about the M-520 over the M-320 because several important facets of what I wrote do not pertain to the M-512…one is a 20-channel console and the other is a 12 channel console. So before you ask anything else you need to ask yourself how many channels you need, because if it’s more than 12, then there really isn’t a question. So is it an M-512 or an M-520?

I can’t really recommend things you Google to learn about electronics…like maybe there are good resources for learning, but I don’t know what those would be because that’s not how I learned. My learning started from my brother when I was a boy. And then more intensely as an adult about 25 years ago, and mostly from fixing stuff I got for cheap because it was faulty, or fixing stuff I broke because I made mistakes and learned lessons…those were the drivers behind the learning, and the source of education was people on this and other forums and groups and over the years making friends with people much, much smarter than me and then asking them lots and lots of annoying questions, tearing more stuff apart, wanting to understand the “why” behind things, more annoying questions, and friends giving me things to read and yes I guess some web searching for specific answers, but it wasn’t just general information I was seeking, but wanting to compare components and searching for the data sheets to compare…like if I’m on Google it’s because I have a specific something to figure out and often trying to get ahead of the question a bit to burden others less, but it’s typically a very specific issue I’m trying to solve or about which I’m gathering information. SO…blahblahblah…what I’m trying to say is, and not that this is the right way, if you want to learn, just start by making a commitment to learn how to fix your own gear. And by “gear” I mean something older that has parts that can actually be replaced by somebody with decent soldering skills. Ever look at a modern computer motherboard? That is NOT the kind of PCB assembly I’m working on. So you get some stuff that’s useful to you that’s a little older and when something doesn’t work you come here or wherever you can find a good community, and ask a lot of questions. And then the answers will trigger more questions. I think a terrible thing would be to, unless it’s your thing, focus on learning about circuitry instead of using the gear to make music. If you did that you’d be more like me. And then you’d be frustrated because you’re perpetually fixing stuff and learning and not doing as much of what you got into it for in the first place…to make music.

That’s why I said “mutual” 8-)

Bring it on! The info is priceless and archived for the long haul.

Do you realize, thanks to your efforts, there is more information available on the M series than there ever has been??

I’m sure there’s some old timer techs that knew plenty, but it’s all in their heads. And maybe some are mo longer with us.

You’re documenting it all.
Lol I totally skipped over “mutual”. But the OP proved us both wrong haha. :)

Yeah I’m kind of surprised there’s as much interest in what I’ve been putting up here and other places only because the stuff I’m writing about is getting around 40 years old now…more in some cases. It’s neat that there’s still interest. I guess it is just a bit of a curiosity to me because one of the main reasons I post a lot of stuff is so I can remember what I did and refer back to it, and I choose to do that in a public venue because I figure if I’m going to take the time to document the information why hog that for myself…maybe it’s useful to somebody else. And apparently it is.

The M-500 interest and ongoing support and research really, for me, is credited to the “Tascam M-__” prototype console. For those that don’t know, and RFR and RRuskin I know you do, it’s a one-of-kind 12x8 console that was a prototype for the M-50 which developed into the M-500 series. And it was left for dead at a garage sale with no power supply about 15 years ago in Southern California and a guy bought it, and then came here asking what it was. Long story short I ended up with it and restored/repaired it. There is no documentation on it and one of the last guys to work in the Analog Support department at Tascam in Montebello, CA affirmed it was theirs, but nobody there by that time knew anything about it, though he said it should have been destroyed. There’s a long thread on it here. Anyway, to me it’s a super cool piece of Tascam history…it is chock full of really cool useful bells and whistles and innovations…a fun console to operate, and is a fun forensic study electronically because over the years I’ve seen how many different products benefitted from this “show car” of a mixing console prototype, either direct circuit block transfers or derivatives. And reverse engineering is hard for me, so the M-50 and M-500 series have been helpful because there are some circuit blocks that are similar, or in the case of the mic amp, direct transfers. The PE-40 EQ is another product that has helped…I think were it not for the M-__ I don’t know if I’d have the same ongoing avid interest in the M-50/M-500…they hold a special interest.

Here it is…yes folks it does still exist…haven’t had any updates on it in a long time, but after multiple moves and years of limited space it’s finally at least back on a table…it’ll be serving a purpose here at some point in the not too far off future:

8BA39CCC-29DF-47C7-AC77-AE8256F70FAC.jpeg

Yes, some will notice half of one of the input/output modules is missing all the controls…that’s just because last I was doing research on it I had an input/output module disassembled to do some reverse engineering and test some modifications so half the PCBs are out of the module. And there are still some power supply mods I want to do, and long term some bigger plans I’d like to implement to fulfill the M-__’s full potential as I believe were intended by its creators. But, given an hour to put back together what’s currently out of it, it’s 100% functional.

@sweetbeats

You gotta figure that all over the country and the world for that matter, these old pieces of gear are going to come up for sale. Dirt cheap too!

I remember the m520 being like 10k when it came out. Now one can be had for under a grand, most times in the 500 range.

What’s a prospective buyer gonna do? Well, they look it up on google.

And then bam! HR comes up with everything and anything you would want to know.

This in itself will fuel the flames of curiosity and interest.

Maybe even make them more desirable.
(and valuable?)

Last edited:
Since you brought it up, do you know what I could google to learn more about console circuitry?
Like Sweetbeats, I'd say you can't really Google this stuff. There is too much out there that is just wrong and misleading. I'd say that you probably want to get hold of the book, Small Signal Audio Design by Doug Self. It isn't cheap but Doug worked for Soundcraft and also writes for Wireless World and generally talks sense. It may also be worth browsing the back issues of Wireless World at World Radio History for audio related articles.

IMHO- TASCAM has never made a really good mic pre. They aren't awful but they lack the transient response needed to capture drums & bass to my satisfaction.
Thread hijack. I liked the transformer input pres on the Model 5.

Back