Tascam 2488neo

Is...

Is Mastering Effects the only difference from the MkII, besides the color?:eek:;)

Attachments

• 1-Tascam 2488neo.jpg
    1-Tascam 2488neo.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:
Is Mastering Effects the only difference from the MkII, besides the color?:eek:;)

I had a quick scan through the manual and that's all I could find. Not sure about the effects patches compared to the MKII as I only have a MKI. Someone mentioned Livewriter but I believe that features on the MKII? I guess it's only been about 18 months since the last release so it's evolution rather than revolution.

I had a quick scan through the manual and that's all I could find. Not sure about the effects patches compared to the MKII as I only have a MKI. Someone mentioned Livewriter but I believe that features on the MKII? I guess it's only been about 18 months since the last release so it's evolution rather than revolution.

Wonder if they fixed any of the stuff that failed so frequently on the earlier versions.

For reference, preorder price at AMS is $799 incl 1 year extended warranty:

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-TAS-2488NEO

So tempting....

I'm heard there were some issues with the early firmware of the MKI but I've had mine since 2006 and it works absolutely fine.

Others have said the same thing. It has occurred to me that perhaps the number of bad reports has something to do with the number sold. The 2488 was priced well below feature competitive alternatives from day one, including this new one.

Others have said the same thing. It has occurred to me that perhaps the number of bad reports has something to do with the number sold. The 2488 was priced well below feature competitive alternatives from day one, including this new one.

One of the things that bemuses me is why most of the more expensive competitors are limited in how many tracks they can playback in 24 bit mode e.g. the AW2400 can only play 12 tracks simultaneously at the higher bit rate). Obviously these machines may be better in other areas but at this price point it alway seemed a no-brainer to me.

I have an MK11 and I think its a very good recorder. This is my third digital recorder. My first one was a Zoom, my second was a Korg, and they both went by the wayside do to breakage. I've had this MK11 for a year and had no problems at all. I purchased the DVD for it and that helped me learn the more complex features. It really is a good recorder. What you put in, is what you get out :-)

Since this neo is simply a upgrade in the program I wonder if we will be able to download the program to the existing MK11. That would be sweet!!!! Any thoughts on that comment??

Danny B

I have an MK11 and I think its a very good recorder. This is my third digital recorder. My first one was a Zoom, my second was a Korg, and they both went by the wayside do to breakage. I've had this MK11 for a year and had no problems at all. I purchased the DVD for it and that helped me learn the more complex features. It really is a good recorder. What you put in, is what you get out :-)

Since this neo is simply a upgrade in the program I wonder if we will be able to download the program to the existing MK11. That would be sweet!!!! Any thoughts on that comment??

Danny B

I doubt you will be able to download an update for the MKII to Neo - you couldn't do so from MKI to MKII and I think there are a few minor changes to the controls. Personally, I don't think the mastering tools alone would make it worth me upgrading to the new model but I am hopefully of some silly end of life deals on the MKII as I plan to run to machine sync'd in future

Wonder if they fixed any of the stuff that failed so frequently on the earlier versions.

For reference, preorder price at AMS is $799 incl 1 year extended warranty:

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-TAS-2488NEO

So tempting....
I've seen the neos as low as $655 on the net but they're not available yet anywhere as far as I can tell. I ordered one almost 2 weeks ago but they are backordered until the end of the month. The older model is no longer available from Tascam.

One of the things that bemuses me is why most of the more expensive competitors are limited in how many tracks they can playback in 24 bit mode e.g. the AW2400 can only play 12 tracks simultaneously at the higher bit rate). Obviously these machines may be better in other areas but at this price point it alway seemed a no-brainer to me.

You bemusement is a result of the fact that your 2488 has been free of problems. Even when first introduced at a higher price, the 2488 series was ridiculously less expensive than recorders that cost hundreds more and offered less tracks and/or bit resolution. That is why I am not surprised by the many complaints I have seen posted on line. From my days working in electronics manufacturing (HF, VHF, and UHF radio receivers), I know what companies do to keep prices down. Mass production with lots of automation saves significant cost. But beyond that it becomes a matter of using cheaper components as well as cutting corners on quality control of both the components and the end item. Companies routinely do all of this to undercut the competition on price. They know that cutting costs in these ways will result in more failures, but they are willing to accept that if the result is higher sales volume. The risk to customer relations is somewhat mitigated by the ability of a mass production environment to rapidly produce replacement units for disgruntled customers, but even so, the warranty is specified so as to make sure that the product remains profitable. A telltale sign that this is the case with the 2488 is fthat actory warranty (90 days labor, 1 year parts) is less favorable than the 1 year parts, 1 year labor offered on the less capable but more expensive Korg D3200 and Yamaha AW1600.

I'm glad that you and others have had good luck with your 2488. I may even eventually buy one myself -- the price is soooooo tempting. But be assured I will get an extended warranty just in case.

i'm going to save me up some money and upgrade from my 2488MkI. :) you can run them both in synch right, master/slave sort of thing? even though they're different versions?

ya. use them both for recording, and then use the neo for mixing/mastering :)

Yep. As a test I synched up my old 788 with my MKI and it worked absolutely flawlessly. 48 tracks, 14 inputs (you use 2 on the master machine to bring the audio from the slave unit), 2 internal stereo loops, 4 external sends - what a setup!

Hey wait a minute. I don't even have my first one yet and now you have me wanting two!

When I brought my 788 I couldn't imagine ever needing more than 8 tracks but pretty soon I could see creative possibilities with more.

It's the same with my 2488. 2 years ago I'd never have believed I'd need more than 24 tracks for a song. Now I can see the possibilities with 48 tracks! I guess I always want MORE!

So, tell us about it. How are those mastering tools in praxis? How does it compare to the MKI & MII ?(I have both) Depending on the Christmas bonus may spring for a Neo, too.

Give us info!

K.

So, tell us about it. How are those mastering tools in praxis? How does it compare to the MKI & MII ?(I have both) Depending on the Christmas bonus may spring for a Neo, too.

Give us info!

K.

Yes, come on don't be shy! I NEED to know about the mastering tools too ;)

Back