TASCAM 244 tape/remix problems

TAPE_NEW

Hi,
Newbie here. I recently purchased a TASCAM 244 in working condition. Made some recordings and everything was fine until yesterday.
I wanted to record a stereo track from my computer into the tascam, so, I set the left channel output of my computer's sound card to the input of channel 1 in the tascam and panned hard left, I did the same for the right channel of the sound card, connected to channel 2 of the tascam and panned hard right. Set all 4 channels in the TASCAM to MIC/Line and engaged the 4 ch recording modus in the TASCAM (I did this because I was using an used tape and wanted to erase all four channels in the tape). When I was done recording and wanted to listen to my recording, I engaged all 4 channels to TAPE and the monitor bus to REMIX, and channel 1 was only a kind of low noise (left side), no recording at all, but channel 2 was ok (right side). I decided to test the same process with another used tape, and the result was the same, channel 1 gone, while channel 2 was ok. I did the same with 4 used tapes and the result was the same. So, the tapes are not the problem. I decided then to perform the same test but for channel 3 and 4 (channel 3 panned to the left and channel 4 to the right), this time channel 3 was ok, but channel 4 was gone (noise present). I decided then to test the monitor bus engaging the switch to CUE and started to increase the level of channel 1 and 2 of the CUE monitor system and both channels were present. So, I just don't get it, is like the TAPE/REMIX system is faulty, but the CUE system is not, but I have to use the TAPE/REMIX system in order to transfer what I recorded back to the computer, so I am here scratching my head, because I used the same process for 5 stereo tracks (from the computer to a stereo pair channels in the TASCAM and from the LINE OUT of TASCAM back to the computer) and it worked fine, until the sixth song. Does somebody here in this forum experienced the same for this TASCAM 244 unit? I will appreciate any help in this matter. Cheers!

If you can record instruments or mic’d with all four channels it’s not your machine it’s your connection and probably your routing out of your cpu.

How’re you going out of your cpu? Are you using a 1/8” stereo cables out of the headphone jack of your cpu into two 1/4” TS cables going into input 1 and 2 of the 244? Or you routing through an interface? Might need more details.

If I were sending things into my 244 from a cpu I would try and see if there’s inputs on the 244 that bypass the Tascam pre’s and go direct into tape. On my 246 they’re called PGM in’s or something of that matter.

So what’s on tape is fine? Like it sounds normal and fine on both tracks when monitoring tape using the CUE mixer?

How about at the TAPE OUT jacks? Do both tracks sound normal and fine there?

If you can record instruments or mic’d with all four channels it’s not your machine it’s your connection and probably your routing out of your cpu.

How’re you going out of your cpu? Are you using a 1/8” stereo cables out of the headphone jack of your cpu into two 1/4” TS cables going into input 1 and 2 of the 244? Or you routing through an interface? Might need more details.

If I were sending things into my 244 from a cpu I would try and see if there’s inputs on the 244 that bypass the Tascam pre’s and go direct into tape. On my 246 they’re called PGM in’s or something of that matter
Hi, and thanks for your reply, the connection is going from my interface (connected to my laptop) left and right outputs to the channels inputs in the tascam as I described in my first post. yes, bypassing the pre's in the tascam might be a good idea, but I don't think this is possible in the 244. I send the tascam to a technician yesterday, he will tell me what is going on with the tascam by the end of the week hopefully. Finger cross, I really like the 244 and want to keep using it.

So what’s on tape is fine? Like it sounds normal and fine on both tracks when monitoring tape using the CUE mixer?

How about at the TAPE OUT jacks? Do both tracks sound normal and fine there?Hi and thanks for your reply, yes, when I checked the CUE mixer, everything was fine there. I forgot to test the tape output jacks, and I delivered the tascam to a technician yesterday, so hopefully I will get an answer by the end of the week about the status of the tascam. By the way, If you are listening to the recording of the tape through the CUE mixer, can I pan the 4 channels to left and right? I mean you should be able to pan, let's say, channel 1 to the left and channel 2 to the right in the CUE mixer? because when I try to do that, I only hear the channels in the center of my headphones.

Back