Tascam 22-4/Teac 2A questions

nicarp

Hi, all--

You were all very helpful with my last question. Now I've got more!

1. I have a Tascam 22-4 deck. Please look at the attached pic titled "22-4." Am I correct that there's a rubber piece missing from the top part of (what I think is called) the pinch roller? Any ideas on where I can get that part?

2. One of the "Line In" inputs on the 22-4 is funky. It cuts in and out, with the needle registering no input at all when I have the input control knob for that channel below a certain level. If I turn the input knob up past that level, it pops in but is "static-y" and unreliable. Does this just sound like it's dirty and just needs to be blown out with compresssed air, or...? Suggestions for diagnosing the problem?

3. I have a Teac 2A mixer. Please look at the attached pic titled "2A." It's hard to see, but the mic inputs are threaded on the outside, like they're supposed to have something screwed on over them. When I put a 1/4" plug into one, it feels loose, like it doesn't snap in or whatever, it just kind of rests in there. Is it missing something?

4. For going from the XLR jack on the mic to the 1/4" plug required for the 2A mic input, is it okay to use a regular mic cord with a hi-lo impedance transfomer/adaptor (XLR female to 1/4" male)? Or do I need to use a cord that has the XLR female end at the mic and the 1/4" male at the other (mixer) end? Is there a difference in sound quality using an adaptor vs. using a cord with the two different ends?

Thanks, all, for helping this clueless newbie out!

Nic
Iowa City IA
www.nicarp.com

Attachments

• 22-4.jpg
    22-4.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 185
  • 2A.jpg
    2A.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 185
Please look at the attached pic titled "22-4." Am I correct that there's a rubber piece missing from the top part of (what I think is called) the pinch roller?

I see nothing missing. The rubber pinch roller is there and the thing above it is called the capstan.

One of the "Line In" inputs on the 22-4 is funky. It cuts in and out, with the needle registering no input at all when I have the input control knob for that channel below a certain level. If I turn the input knob up past that level, it pops in but is "static-y" and unreliable.

Before doing anything else, spray inside the line inputs, a short burst or two (being careful not to over do it) of contact cleaner such as Caig deoxit. This is a fairly common scenario with "vintage" gear. Same exact thing happened to my TASCAM 58, sprayed some caig deoxit (I did all the connectors while I was at it) and minute to minute it got better and fixed itself. It's just oxidation. It may help to work the connectors a bit by inserting and rotating the RCA plugs.

I have a Teac 2A mixer. Please look at the attached pic titled "2A." It's hard to see, but the mic inputs are threaded on the outside, like they're supposed to have something screwed on over them. When I put a 1/4" plug into one, it feels loose, like it doesn't snap in or whatever, it just kind of rests in there. Is it missing something?

Looks exactly like what I have. It should gently snap in though.

For going from the XLR jack on the mic to the 1/4" plug required for the 2A mic input, is it okay to use a regular mic cord with a hi-lo impedance transfomer/adaptor (XLR female to 1/4" male)? Or do I need to use a cord that has the XLR female end at the mic and the 1/4" male at the other (mixer) end? Is there a difference in sound quality using an adaptor vs. using a cord with the two different ends?

You either need to use an low to hi z adapter or cable. I use a hi z cable with female xlr one end and 1/4" other end. You should have a low to hi z connection for your TEAC.

tape won't roll!

Thanks much, cjacek. I'll get the Caig deoxit for sure.

So here's my big problem: My tape won't roll! When I thread the tape onto the reels, it stops dead, like it's being pinched somewhere or something. When it's not threaded, each side spins fine when I manually pull the tension thing up so it will go into record/play. But when I thread it all up, it rolls for just a second until stopping dead--I can rewind it back off, but it won't just roll normally in record/play. What could be going on? Help!

Nic

Sounds like a common scenario around here lately. Check the heads make sure there is no "gunk" built up on them. If you look back to the threads on this page there is alot of information about "sticky shed" It could be you have bad tape. Is it new or old tape? If it's old tape and you have gunk on there scrub the tape path til it's all off and don't use that tape again.

Thanks, Steve--

I read up a little on "sticky shed syndrome." The tape I'm using is brand new, as far as I can tell--it's a Quantegy tape I bought from US Recording Media just in the last couple of months.

If it's not the tape, and if the heads have the waxy residue gunk I've seen described, what's the best way to clean the heads and tape path? Product? Tools?

Nic

Yeah, if it's a machine you just got it may have had that from before or it may be a different problem altogether. The best way to clean it is to use Isopropyl alcohol. Best to get the 90% alcohol or above one and some cottons swabs and just scrub it. Clean the heads in the direction of the tape. Clean all the metal in the tape path with the alcohol, the guides, capstan. You'll know it if that's the problem. Good luck. Don't clean the pinch roller with the alcohol though, you need a rubber cleaner. The pinch wheel should be tacky but not gooey. That could be a problem too. It should also not be too dried up and slippery.

Check and see if the pinch roller shaft is turning when you lift the right tape guide. If its not it could be your belt is shot or your capstan motor is shot.
THats pretty common thing on older tascams.

roller not turning

Herm, you're right--the pinch roller is not turning. Damn. So...how do I tell whether it's the belt or the capstan motor? Is it something I can fix myself? If so, where can I find parts? If not, where should I take it for repair?

Nic

I think what Herm meant was the capstan shaft above the rubber pinch roller. If it's not turning when you lift the right tape guide then most likely the capstan belt is gone. Needs to be replaced. You need to check by opening up the unit. If the belt is intact then, as Herm points out, it could be the motor. Also, when you lift the right tape guide, can you hear the motor working ? Listen closely.

If you hit play with the arm up (with out tape on the machine) it will engage the wheel and turn if everything is working right.
If not you might put your ear to the side of or top of the machine and listen if you can hear the motor turn on when you lift the right arm.
If the motor is working you can order a new belt from tascam total for shipping and everything might be around 20 to 25 bucks.
If you take your time and go slow its not that hard to replace the belt on the 22-4. You have to take the front cover off to do it.
Good luck with your machine its a great little unit when working right.

how to get cover off?

Thanks Herm and cjacek--you guys are great--

Based on what you've said, I'm thinking it's the belt. I'm trying to take the front cover off. I've got all the screws out and most of the knobs. However, I can't seem to pull the monitor or pitch knobs off, which will need to come off. There are little tiny holes in the sides of them, but I can't figure out how to get them off. Also, at the center of the top of the cover, it feels like something is still holding on that I can't figure it out. Any ideas?

Nic

Okay. I've just about got the cover off, but something's sticking right around the head housing. Ideas? Thanks!

Got it

Got it--thanks, Tim. It was the collar nut around the pitch control knob that was screwing me up.

Once I got inside, I figured out that the belt was all broken and got tangled under the capstan drive, keeping it from turning. Once I got the belt out, the drive turned just fine. Whew--glad it wasn't a motor.

This deck was bought by the organization I work for when it was brand new, used about 10 hours, then put away and never used again. I bought it from them for $30. I guess not being used for, oh, 25 years or so can lead to a messed-up belt. So now I'm gonna order the new belt--and then I reckon I'll be back on here asking all you good people for advice. The good thing about all this is it's demystified the machine for me a bit.

This site rocks! You're all very helpful. Thanks very much to Tim, cjacek, Herm, and Steve for hearing this clueless newbie out.

Nic

Teac 22-4 no sound in

Hi people. I have owned many tape recorders, now have a teac 8-80 half inch 8 track and a 22-4.
The deck came like new but no belt, I managed to replace it and playback is good, no sound comes in when in record mode, whatever head I select.
It just came to mind that the connectors that bridge the in and outs for noise reduction may have oxide build up.
Anytihng else that could be wrong that I can fix without being a tech? Schematic anyone? Hope I can get it working.
Thanks in advance
Pepo

Back