Taking off the jeans...

Alright guys, here we go, still don't have them wrapped yet, used the last of my fabric on some rockwool panels I was doing as well.

One thing I noticed was that when unwrapped the ultratouch was a little less than 48" in length and a little less than 18" wide. so I adjusted accordingly. So the adjusted frame is 46 3/4" x 17 1/4"

DSC02099.jpg

Compared to a standard 2x4' piece of rockwool in panel.

DSC02100.jpg

The free wood:D

DSC02102.jpg

Thickness comparatively to rockwool.

DSC02103.jpg

Wood cut. Sorry for the side shot:cool:

DSC02104.jpg

Frame put together!

DSC02105.jpg

Frame on top of a rockwool panel to compare

DSC02106.jpg

DSC02107.jpg

DSC02108.jpg

The ultra-touch in the panel

DSC02109.jpg

Using some adhesive to help make that biatch stay put.

I'll post the final panel when I go get some more fabric, and god I feel extremely homo saying that:facepalm:

Total cost of one panel with the ultra-touch came to around $12, or course if you need to buy wood, you must account for that.

My rockwool panels I make are close to $28 per panel (again, no cost of wood), so a $16 difference.

Total cost of one panel with the ultra-touch came to around $12, or course if you need to buy wood, you must account for that.

My rockwool panels I make are close to $28 per panel (again, no cost of wood), so a $16 difference.

Yeah, I would never use fiberglass again, more expensive, greater health risk. How is that glue holding up? I used a couple 1X2 wood slats front and back, works good.
The fabric store... It's like going to a different planet. What are you going to use for wrapping? My first one was covered in burlap, but what a mess, all others I ended up going with some nice Muslin fabric, only problem is it was an off white so you can sort of see the blue though it.
Here's where I got my UltraTouch It's on my way home from my parents so I just stopped in and picked up a Big roll of the R-13 or R-19 (It's been so ling I can't remember) each piece is 8'X2'

UltraTouch acoustical - thermal insulation for walls & ceilings - Green Product

Lets see the finished product:)

HA I know, I was getting so many looks when I was in there, got to joke with the cutter lady saying I was getting the fabric because I was going to be a "black" ghost for halloween lol. I'm using black cotton suede ($4.50 a yard) works and looks great, I have it on one of the rockwool panels up top^^^. It's a little thicker than regular cotton so you can't see through it and it holds well. I've sold some of the rockwool panels I've done locally and people love the look and feel of it.

The glue is Tubetak from auralex and it works great!. I got a bunch of foam panels and 2 tubes of tak as a "gift" when I got my interface on musicians friend last year. Finally had a use for it lol. The idea was to just have something holding them in there and didn't want to use any of my wood, so I used that since it was just lying around gathering dust.

Other thing I do is put some DOW protection board on the back of my panels to protect the walls from being damaged. That was one of the things I was concerned about when I was going to sell some of my panels locally, didn't want people banging up there walls when hanging the things. Works great, they actually come in 2x4' and are slightly oversized so they fit perfectly!

And I'll post up the final thing when I can get to the fabric store this weekend.:facepalm::D

cool.

I bet double layer would handle the bass better. If I ever have to make more traps I will definitely check into this.

Really would like to know how they perform compared to rockwool.

double layer or get the r13 or 19, those are 3.5 and 5.5 inches thick respectively. Haven't been able to find any locally though only the r8 which is as you can see is much smaller compared to the others. And since it comes in the plastic wrap like pictured, it really compresses the stuff making it a little under labeled size.

Final product next to a rockwool panel, I think cost to coverage you would get more with the ultra-touch than anything else. You can make 2 ultra-touch panels for the price of 1 rockwool panel.

Had a cute little girl in the fabric store today, she got me her store discount, 40% off! Saved like $30

DSC02110.jpg

hahaha actually did ask her out so no worries:p, though I guess that means I won't be saving $30 after all, will probably, no most definitely... end up spending more:facepalm:...;)

hahaha actually did ask her out so no worries:p, though I guess that means I won't be saving $30 after all, will probably, no most definitely... end up spending more:facepalm:...;)

To guote the late-great George Harrison....

But it's gonna take money
A whole lotta spending money
It's gonna take plenty of money
To do it right, child

For some reason I can't edit my original post, wish I could consolidate some of the info on the other pages and put it on the front, but anyways. Found a pretty good deal on the Ultra-touch for anybody who may be considering making panels or bass traps, Here.

It's the 3.5" x 16" x 94" and comes with 10 rolls for $109. You could cut those in half effectively having 20 panels worth of the stuff, if you would even need that much lol. Could probably make something similar to super chunks using two rolls as well.

For some reason I can't edit my original post, wish I could consolidate some of the info on the other pages and put it on the front, but anyways. Found a pretty good deal on the Ultra-touch for anybody who may be considering making panels or bass traps, Here.

It's the 3.5" x 16" x 94" and comes with 10 rolls for $109. You could cut those in half effectively having 20 panels worth of the stuff, if you would even need that much lol. Could probably make something similar to super chunks using two rolls as well.

How much is shipping? A lot of online outlets will offer a great deal on something, then the shipping costs defeat the actual savings.

I really hope this is an economical solution to room treatment. Please take before/after measurements in a 'real world' situation, to prove that it works. Many products have been already proven to work. The use and placement of materials in a particular room, are the determining factor in the end. Without proven results, performance is based on the room just sounding better. Even then, it is relative to the room it is used in. Forever struggle for the perfect room treatment.

Foam= RIP. :D

Back