Taking off the jeans...

Ok not really!:p But...we were talking about a lot of different types of sound treatment in one of my classes and the uses of rock wool, 703/5, and your other standard acoustic insulation that everybody uses.

Somebody spoke up though and said that there was a "denim" insulation that he had considered using to make some traps and panels. Our teacher had no clue and I guess that was a new one for him. So i decided to research it a little bit and just want to get some feedback on the idea as apposed with going with OC or rockwool.

The material in question is: Here

and the absorption chart is: Here. <<<There's the varied thicknesses and weights in this

These seem to control a lot more of the low end compared to the others. As far as I can tell these would be awesome for doing bass traps. Anybody have any thoughts or experience with this stuff:confused: Your basically paying $10 per panel and have found some as low a $6 after searching for a bit, as you can imagine, it sparked my interest.;)

Last edited:
Interesting stuff, but being the tree-hugger I am, I am bugged it's not made of at least some recycled material.

just found the actual lab tests and data for the stuff: Here.

I've found a few similar products, different companies at least, and they all have similar results. It seems like it's meant for actual sound proofing of rooms, one of the charts in that link^^^ showed in a sound transmission loss test that it reduced the sound transmitted through walls by an average of 60db from 315hz-10khz.

Also one of the downsides I keep seeing is that you don't have the rigidity that you do with roxul or OC, you can't just make a frame and cover it with fabric. This is very rounded, soft, pliable, and easily compressed. I found one studio that used this as their acoustic treatment and they went about the problem, by putting a sheet of mesh on the wood frame, so you can still get a square panel.

Still toying with the idea of just ordering some and trying it out.

That looks very interesting!

I wanted to add some more trapping in my studio, and needed to build more custom size traps rather than the typical ready-made stuff...but I was trying to avoid the rockwool and fiberglass kind of insulation due to their rather negative health properties.
The denim stuff would certainly be the safest.

I'm real curious how it works out for you, as I may try that stuff too instead of rockwooll or fiberglass...I'm just not comfortable with the idea of rockwool or fiberglass particles flying around the studio.

Keep us posted on your progress...and build pictures are always welcome! :)

They actually had it a my home depot so I picked up a roll to try the stuff out.

REALLY?

Damn man - tell us all about it. How much was it, how was it packaged, how many, what size.
Is it easy to work with? How does it cut? Is it about the same rigidity as floppy Roxul? Does it pull apart?
When CAN I GET SOME!!!! ACCKKKKKK

IIIEEEEYAAA

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&Ntpc=1&Ntpr=1

- OK HomeDepot website only shows R-8 not the R-13 which is the acoustic rated. Did you get R-8?

I got just the r8, it's what they have there, to see if was going to easily be able to manipulate this stuff into a panel. I just got 1 roll and it was $6 for a 48x16x2". I'll definitely get the r13 if I get more and do bass traps, but just to test making a broad band this should be fine. Gonna go to some new subdivisions being built and find some scrap wood to make a frame tomorrow.

Haven't taken it out of packaging yet, so I'll post up about all that arcadeko^^^ when I bust it out this weekend.

Edit:
The chart I found for R8 still had 90% reduction at 125hz and over 100% over the rest of the spectrum.

I'll keep ya'll posted, unfortunately have to work most of this weekend, but will hopefully get to building it at some point.

That sounds a bit more costly than the alternatives. At least for a panel that relies on material rigidity for its frame. It looks like it has great properties tho. I'm thinkin it may be my ceiling choice for my drum room. Thanks for the info man! :)

I used this in my current studio due to the fact that I was never again going to use fibreglass or fibre insulation. It worked great, the high destiny stuff I used for sound proofing and bass traps, the lighter stuff for absorbers and general acoustic adjustments.

I would say the Denim stuff is the same principle.

Alan

Oh I should have said that the high density stuff almost stands up on its own, but you need a diamond blade to cut it. The low density stuff cuts with a knife.

That sounds a bit more costly than the alternatives. At least for a panel that relies on material rigidity for its frame. It looks like it has great properties tho. I'm thinkin it may be my ceiling choice for my drum room. Thanks for the info man! :)

I don't know if a standard square frame will work depending on how well it will hold it's shape on it's own, so I might try something else.

\_/

For the sake of giving you an image, something like that^^^ if that was looking down on the top of the frame, tapered sides basically.

So it would be wedged in there and hold a it's shape on it's own.

I'll certainly figure it out soon though.

I think all you need is a couple of 1" vertical strips front and back across the openinings...and the stuff inside will stay put and not sag.

I don't know if a standard square frame will work depending on how well it will hold it's shape on it's own, so I might try something else.

\_/

For the sake of giving you an image, something like that^^^ if that was looking down on the top of the frame, tapered sides basically.

So it would be wedged in there and hold a it's shape on it's own.

I'll certainly figure it out soon though.

All the panels I made were with floppy Roxul - look at the chronology thread - most just use 1x2's (it takes 1.5 eight foot 1x2's to make a 2x4 panel) they are 98 cents each at my local HomeDepot. The fabric only adds another $3 - $10 depending on what fabric you get

went and got a bunch of wood today, gotta go get some fabric tomorrow sometime and I'll hopefully have some pics up and let ya'll know how it went sunday.

Ive been doing some research on the web and the R-15 Ultratouch insulation looks promising. I plan to pick some up to make some bass traps.

went and got a bunch of wood today, gotta go get some fabric tomorrow sometime and I'll hopefully have some pics up and let ya'll know how it went sunday.

aug08_021.gif

Back