So what does everyone here use for bass traps?

Seeker of Rock

The One and Only
So many options and opinions, but what do you actually have in your mixing room for bass traps? Did you build them yourself? Did you buy them pre-made? What are they made of? What size room are you using them in and how do they work in that room?
Just curious. :) :)

I'm using 3.5" Ultratouch.

Frames are actually two sets of frames made with 1X2's seperated by a 2" gap so most of the sides are also exposed. just started making them yesterday so I only have two which are 3'X2' in size (to fit in a particular space, it's a loft) noticed a difference in the bass right away. All the others will be 4'X2' for a total of 16 traps, total price once I get the covering should be under $200

6 1x4 and 3 2x4 sheets of 4" rigid fiberglass. I haven't covered them yet though :o Although I have a good amount of navy blue Guilford FR701 for that purpose :)

Home-made panels using 4" 8pcf mineral wool board. About 20 panels of various sizes, for corners, first reflections and gobos. I'm planning on getting some lower density stuff to make some clouds for above the mix position and over the drumkit.

... but what do you actually have in your mixing room for bass traps?

A)- 6x6 and 3x4 wood bookshelves, both stuffed with Owens Corning, front covered with black burlap

B)- Real Traps Room Kit (eight standard 2' by 4' MiniTraps plus three MicroTraps)

We modded the bookshleves into bass traps ourselves; Real Traps were pre-made

... What size room are you using them in and how do they work in that room?

The room is 14x20x7. MiniTraps in each of the corners, other Real Traps are moved around the room as needed. All the Real Traps are on mic stands. For instance, I make a semi-circle around me when doing critical mix down. Kind of looks like Stonehenge :D !

The Real Traps work great! I choked on the price at first, but then did the math if we built everything ourselves (hunting down all materials, buying materials, shipping, tools, time spent building traps, a space to build them, etc. etc.) I was in a real time crunch and just worked a ton of OT at my day job.

So I bit the bullet and ordered 11 Real Traps. The money would've gone to upgrading the mic collection. Turns out the mics we had were fine - it was the room that needed upgrading!

The Real Traps are worth every penny and then some. We are able to record 7 or 8 musicians at a time in the room live - and it sounds great. Then rearrange the traps the next day and mix in that same room. Pretty cool.

There are other companies out there - some cheaper - some more expensive. Ethan was an incredible resource -- both on this bbs and on the phone. He really "schooled me" on the nature of room acoustics and stuff. I'm glad I went with his products.

The next step is to replace the bookshelves' stuffing with rigid fiberglass and throw away the fluffy pink stuff.

Funny you should mention that, I have two minitraps I ordered from Ethan that should be waiting for me when I get home....for a lot of the same reasons you mentioned. When bonus $$ comes in Dec. I'll order two more. I'll probably build a cloud myself over the mix position, maybe diffusion panels with foam attached in the rear by Auralex for the wall behind me. A lot of choices out there. :)

They can get in but they can't get out...

Attachments

• btgrowersupply_1920_14744384.jpg
    btgrowersupply_1920_14744384.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 320
RezN8 said:
I bit the bullet and ordered 11 Real Traps. The money would've gone to upgrading the mic collection. Turns out the mics we had were fine - it was the room that needed upgrading!

Testify, brother. And thanks very much for the plug.

Last night I visited a new customer who happens to be local, and he had expensive preamps and other high-end gear in an untreated room. It's embarrassing to me when I have to tell someone to spend $4k with me instead of buying a passive "summing" mixer and yet more overpriced outboard gear that will not help his situation even a little. But it had to be done. :D

--Ethan

Ethan Winer said:
Testify, brother. And thanks very much for the plug.

Last night I visited a new customer who happens to be local, and he had expensive preamps and other high-end gear in an untreated room. It's embarrassing to me when I have to tell someone to spend $4k with me instead of buying a passive "summing" mixer and yet more overpriced outboard gear that will not help his situation even a little. But it had to be done. :D

--Ethan
Ethan, wanted to take a moment to thank you for all the info available here and on your site. You are very cool for passing it on. Not only do you sell the product but for us DIYers you make the difference and spell out accoustics in terms we can understand. Hats off to you sir!

But then you eliminate lows with the body but increase mids with the screams :confused: :confused:

Corpses actually sound pretty effective, except for the maintenance of having to procure new ones and change out the old ones after decay.

Seeker of Rock said:
Corpses actually sound pretty effective, except for the maintenance of having to procure new ones and change out the old ones after decay.

I use a formaldehyde spray. Keeps em fresh for that extra bit longer. I find clients are not SO put off when the bodies are not rotten. Apart from Goths that is. I might enlist the help of an embalmer, but im not sure how this would effect the sound, i suppose i could have them stuffed with 703. What do you think?

Actually, use Superchunks of 703 in the corners.

superchunk plan.gif

Back