Syncing Otari open-reel to 003 Rack

Gary C.

My drummer and I are tracking to an Otari open-reel machine.
We have done drums on about a half-dozen tunes,using 4 tracks.
The signal from the tape will be routed through an ISA428 and converted
to Lightpipe before it hits the Digi003,on into the PC.

Is there any way to sync my Otari/ISA428 with the computer,so that we can download the drums into a PT session-then clear them off the tape,to free up tracks for the rest of the instrumentation and vocals-and still be able to load the rest of the raw tape tracks into PT,and be able to have them all in sync?
Does some sort of time-code data need to be recorded onto one of the 8-track channels-or can the PT program sync it all up without that?
I know that PT has Word Clock-but I'm obviously completely ignorant as to how it works.
So,any pearls of wisdom greatly appreciated.

There might be a way. You would probably want the Otari to run as master, which means it would need to have a wordclock output and or, you would need to use MTC or SMPTE to sync them, which means a separate clock reader/generator. Otherwise, you could simply dump the tracks to PT then sync after the fact. You will be running into latency problems anyway due to conversion so I doubt there is any way you will be able to avoid doing a manual sync at the end of it all. It's not a lot of work once all is said and done. Sorry. Not much help I know:rolleyes:.

The easiest way would be to get a JL Cooper PPS-2:
http://www.jlcooper.com/pages/pps2.html

Use it to stripe SMPTE on a tape track. Then feed that SMPTE track back into the PPS-2. It will convert the SMPTE into MIDI Time Code (MTC). Take the MIDI out and feed it in to the 003-Rack. You then have to configure the PT software to chase SMPTE.

Presto!

Back